PDA

View Full Version : Foster cat.

farthing
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I got a call from our vet asking if we could help a client if the practice. They were looking after a neighbour's cat after he had been rushed into hospital after a stroke. They were worried for her because she was an indoor cat on her own apart from the 10mins they were in feeding her in the evening.
We asked that they pay for food and cat litter and agreed to take her for as long as needed ( fact is that the owner may not go home). The cat is massively overweight and has a very greasy, grubby coat.
That was 3 weeks ago, no money has appeared yet, I had a text asking how she was getting on but no reply when I asked how her owner was. I am now in a tricky situation because I have no idea what is going on, i've had to buy flea treatment as she has fleas and although I am happy to help, we are now out of pocket which takes money away from our animals.
I'm getting a bit frustrated!

Elaine
04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Personally, Louise, I'd pay them a visit and remind them of what was agreed.

Velvet
05-06-2012, 02:38 AM
I would contact the vet and ask them to chase it up as they were the ones to contact you in the first place

Liz
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Contact the owners or ask the vets for the isolation pen and then they can treat said cat as they control owners account

bet you treat and feed it and then go after the money!!!!

truthisouthere
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Looks like the vet was faced with the dilemma of what to do with this cat's future welfare..Is the elderly owner in hospital? (I assume the owner's elderly, as quite often they unwittingly tend to overfeed their 'pet's!).

I would pay a visit to the vet when and ask 1) when was the last time the owner was contacted? and 2) what was agreed at the time? The vet needs to give you some facts, but it looks to me like the vet had already made up his/her mind that this cat was an abandonment case, but couldn't contact the owner for payment and has moved on. I feel really sorry for the cat in this situation, it's all so sad.

Don't be suprised at the obvious in having to rehome this dear cat. One good thing to come of this, in calling you farthing, at least the vet didn't put her to sleep.

farthing
14-06-2012, 08:45 PM
The owner is only in his 40's, but the stroke was severe.
Still no word from the people who contacted me, although I've sent 2 texts. The vets only tried to help so I don't hold them responsible.
I'm going to call this weekend and see what they say!