PDA

View Full Version : Pets on the bed

cats' staff
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Did anyone read the news stories this weekend about 43% of people allowing pets to share their beds? Tolly says we are lucky he lets us on. I was wondering this morning as I woke up teetering on the edge with OH pushed up against me as Tolly sprawled over the rest of the bed whether we should rethink!
What do others do? Do cats really give us much choice or am I being henpecked by ours? We do wake up to all three some days!

angieh
04-06-2012, 11:31 AM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Misc/001.jpg

Your post reminded me of this picture by Erika Oller!

Given that we only have two cats, rather than your three CS - and they tend to only want to know us when the weather is cool/cold. During the last 10 days or so of hot weather they have graciously let us have our bed to ourselves! Having said that, I am a short person and we have an extra long bed as OH is tall so if the cats want to sleep on my side there is actually plenty of room for them but as cats will be cats, they generally want to sleep on OH's side of the bed and many times he has woken up unable to move as he's been hemmed in by cats and/or me!!!

I wouldn't want to try and ban them from the bed - I am a poor sleeper just now and find their presence soporific.

paulinef2
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Tiger sleeps on the bed and if it's cold I have woken up with him IN the bed, purring away! Lester likes to lie on the pillow or at the foot of the bed.

yola
04-06-2012, 03:34 PM
All ours have been allowed on the bed at any time. Fifi was always the one least inclined, but all the boys would love to snuggle up - Balie probably the most, he used to share my pillow with me when he was small.

I too find it soporific when there is a cat on the bed, and would never in a million years prevent them from sleeping alongside me.

jacks
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Minnie sleeps on the bed with us if its hot or cold weather.If she can she will squeeze inbetween us,stretch out so we are both on about an inch of bed.:p
Mostly she sleeps in the bend of my legs.
The other night i woke up to find her on my pillow curled up asleep by my head.:)
Minnie will also try to get under the quilt and i sometimes wake up in the night to find her in my arms asleep.
Minnie rules.:lol: We wouldnt change her.

Elaine
04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
What the hell does soporific mean?

Ours sleep on the bed too and the dog comes in for a wee cuddle just before my alarm goes off in the morning.

Kim
04-06-2012, 09:28 PM
sop·o·rif·ic
adjective
causing or tending to cause sleep.
pertaining to or characterized by sleep or sleepiness; sleepy; drowsy.

Elaine
04-06-2012, 09:48 PM
sop·o·rif·ic
adjective

Thanx Kim, so why dont people just blooming say that cats make 'em sleepy:lol:

lynz85
04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Jungle always sleeps on my pillow! Or else I have to shift my pillow over and shel sleep there. pips not allowed in my room but hel come and sit on you if we're lying on the couch, or if OH is in the spare room with a hangover, bad books etc hel go in but often gets chucked out for attacking feet under covers! Dogs haven't been allowed on the beds as they have been labradors, id have no room if ty was on my bed, not to mention the hairs he'd leave behind!

Elaine
04-06-2012, 10:13 PM
[CENTER]
I wouldn't want to try and ban them from the bed - I am a poor sleeper just now and find their presence soporific.

I too find it soporific when there is a cat on the bed, and would never in a million years prevent them from sleeping alongside me.

What the hell does soporific mean?

sop·o·rif·ic
adjective

Its all just a little sesquipedalian really, dont you think:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Sorry Elaine - I am of the generation bought up on Beatrix Potter's books. "Soporific" was a word used in The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies to describe the effects of eating too many lettuces on the rabbits. It's a good word, not IMO long winded at all.

Which gets well away from the point that I find my cats' company relaxing and likely to help me go to sleep.

cats' staff
04-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Soporific is a better word than sleepy. Try saying it without yawning! Onomatopoeic or what?

Elaine
05-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Sorry Elaine - I am of the generation bought up on Beatrix Potter's books. "Soporific" was a word used in The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies to describe the effects of eating too many lettuces on the rabbits. It's a good word, not IMO long winded at all.

Which gets well away from the point that I find my cats' company relaxing and likely to help me go to sleep.

Just poking fun coz I didnt know what the word meant.

Soporific is a better word than sleepy. Try saying it without yawning! Onomatopoeic or what?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: now what the heck does that mean?:lol:

pamela81
05-06-2012, 07:50 AM
My 2 come up on the bed with us during the night. Harris however loves to snuggle up beside me under the quilt most nights for an hour or so. skye lays on my legs or beside me.

Kim
05-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Lol @ Elaine, I didn't know what Saporific meant either, I had to google it! I loved Beatrix Potter and read them to my children too, but can't say I recall that word, love it though, will have to try and remember it!

Now Elaine, I do know what an Onomatopoeia is without looking it up, I did remember something from my school days! It is a word that sounds like the thing it is describing e.g 'crash' 'tinkle' 'bang' 'growl'

Sorry to divert from the thread, I love words! Our cats sleep in the kitchen at night, but allowed wherever they want during the day. The dogs sleep in our room at night - in their baskets - but have been known to creep onto our bed during the night! Again, during the day they are allowed wherever they want.

Elaine
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Shouldnt this thread be called Non-sexual zoophilia;)

cats' staff
05-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Shouldnt this thread be called Non-sexual zoophilia;)

Snork! You win this one!

Moli
05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Back to cats on beds! My boys sleep in the utilityroom, which is really big, in their own beds....:)Never had an animal dog/cat in the bedroom....

Elaine
05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Back to cats on beds! My boys sleep in the utilityroom, which is really big, in their own beds....:)Never had an animal dog/cat in the bedroom....

Then you dont know what5 you are missing:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Then you dont know what5 you are missing:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do, 4 cats jumping about all nights:roll::lol:

JMPARK
06-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Beau sleeps now and again on the bed, whilst we are in it, but not usually all night! Joy lies and sleeps at the top of the stairs just outside of the bedroom , as if " on guard"

Liz
06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
here ours pretty much lsleep where they like I can have up to 12 on the bed more if their daddy is away lol and the rest wherever in the house - the 3 dogs have crates in the lounge each with a ct bed on top of them - Sky doesn't have his door closed but Sunny and Mistral still like to steal cat food so they are crate doors closed!!!

Hreow
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
You can have beds *without* cats?!?!?

The dog is banned from upstairs unless he is having his weekly shower. He's ten times as heavy as Toffee so he's right out of luck for sleeping in/on our beds.

pinklizzy
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Imogen sleeps at the end of the bed most nights, when Erin was smaller she would get up and follow me for the night feeds which was very sweet.
My OH usually gets up at about 5am and I will wake upp to find her snuggled up on his side of the bed!
Darcy sleeps in her crate which is also in our bedroom.

laineykitkitty
09-06-2012, 01:49 PM
We only allow the kittens in the livingroom hall and kitchen (and bathroom lol, but no stopping that door being closed)

But they will be allowed more roam when they get older :) x