PDA

View Full Version : Mindy to the vets today

Velvet
28-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Had to take Mindy to the vets today, at first had thought the two little lumps I felt on her neck were nips from Misty when they were playing roughly, couldn't really see anything when I parted the hair and she didn't like me working at them. Then last night she had scratched one as I thought and it had bled. Made appt to see Vet this afternoon. It came to me as I was putting Mindy into the car, the thought that could it be hot spots, the dogs have had hot spots. As it happens I was right. Vet cleared away the area. She got a long lasting antibiotic injection and anti inflammatory injection.

The vet said the usual reason for hot spots in cats was fleas - eek. So poor Mindy was subjected to a thorough combing with a fine tooth comb - vet was a bit disappointed that her coat was as clean as a whistle. I check the dogs and cats regularly, at least 3/4 times a week, second nature to me. We needed frontline anyway so came home with a packet of it. The animals are done routinely, so really none the wiser for the cause of the dreaded hotspots

So has anyone any thoughts or anyone ever had a cat that had them?

Shelley123
28-05-2012, 10:50 PM
sorry Helen, never come across them. Is it possible they are some other insect bites

angieh
28-05-2012, 10:55 PM
No, me neither. Last year Pip had a nasty place on his neck but it was where a tick had fallen off. Pip had antibiotics too and made a complete recovery.

truthisouthere
29-05-2012, 10:39 PM
To add to that, midges, heaven forbid, a bed bug; all sorts of creepy-crawlies can hatch in this warm weather, you never can tell!

Velvet
30-05-2012, 02:15 AM
I wondered about midges, if I were to go out in the garden after 6-7pm these nights they would eat me alive so maybe she is susceptible to insect bites and I wonder maybe is she a cat that could be prone to allergies.

I have noticed when she comes in from her run, she will sometimes chew at her feet the same as the dogs do - they are allergic to the grass in the growing season:(