PDA

View Full Version : hearing

pamela81
19-05-2012, 08:52 AM
How can you tell if a cat if deaf or hard of hearing or just ignoring you? Everytime we call on Harris he doesnt seem to hear us (or is he just ignoring us?) OH has thought for a while that harris cant hear properly. Is there anything we can do to try? Or does everyone elses feline friends disply selective deafness?

angieh
19-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Well cats will be cats as you know Pamela! I would suggest if you have Harris on your lap and he is relaxed, just click your fingernails together a short distance from his ear, if he turns his head then presumably he's heard. Try again on the other ear ..... try lengthening the distance between his ear and your fingers. I think this should give a good indication of whether he can hear - of course it doesn't take volume or pitch into account but it may be something to base whether or not you decide to take him to see the vet.

pamela81
19-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks angie, i think Harris is just ignoring us just harris being harris but H has been convinced for ages that he is deaf!! He also thinks that his constant noise making is because he cant hear!! I agree with you but will try the test out to see and hopefully convince OH that harris is fine!!!

lynz85
19-05-2012, 05:53 PM
pip constantly makes noises and he can hear fine, he also has his moments where he chooses to ignore us! prob just two peas in a pod!!

pamela81
19-05-2012, 06:01 PM
haha more than likely lynz!!!