PDA

View Full Version : I've quit smoking!!!

snugsy01
10-05-2012, 05:44 PM
So proud of myself.... my fourth day without a smoking. The nicorettes lozenges are brill. I've tried cold turkey in the past.

Used to smoke over 20 aday. But only been having 1 or 2 lozenges aday.

As anybody else given up recently and any tips?

Anne.

Mags
10-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Well done Anne .... keep it up! :D

angieh
10-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Well done Anne - I gave up a few years ago now. It was hard and I'd had several failed attempts before. When I was tempted, I thought of the nurse at my GP surgery and the huge smile that she gave me when I told her I'd given up.

snugsy01
10-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks my friends for encouragement.

Its not been to bad this time, with lozenges as back up. Still feeling a little niggly, but not as much has I would be going cold turkey.

Keep on saying to my self... I'm not smoking today. Just taking it a day at a time.

OH tempted me earlier, hes packing in as well.... he was tempted to buy some smokies. But because I said no for myself, OH decided not to buy any for himself. yipee!!!!.

Anne.

angieh
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
It's dreadful if your partner doesn't give up too - when I finally managed to give up my OH gave up first. He said it wasn't too bad ........ I used to go and smoke in the greenhouse, poor plants!

Velvet
10-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Well done

snugsy01
10-05-2012, 09:33 PM
It's dreadful if your partner doesn't give up too - when I finally managed to give up my OH gave up first. He said it wasn't too bad ........ I used to go and smoke in the greenhouse, poor plants!

Last time we tried, OH had been smoking behind my back. So've I asked him to be honest with me this time, if he starts again. And also not to smoke in the house,ect. He said thats fair enough.

LOL..about greenhouse. OH might have to go in the garden shed, since our plastic greenhouse got blown down.

Thank you velvet.

Anne.

cats' staff
10-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Well done. I gave up 9 years ago but had tried a few times beforehand.

You know all the health benefits etc so I won't bother with those but the thing I like is the feeling of being free! I don't care where I can buy cigs from or what time the shop shuts because I don't need them. I don't have to hunt out where I'm allowed to smoke, I don't need to dash outside in the interval at the theatre because I'm desperate for a smoke, I can finish a meal out with friends without getting that horrible fidgety feeling wondering how soon it would be polite to nip out for a quick smoke. It really is liberating!

snugsy01
10-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank you cats staff and well done yourself.

I'm not feeling the freedom yet, but its early days for me. Still thinking what it would be to have a smokie at times. But I remind myself of the benefits... my health, codys health, and more spending money for holidays in september.

Is it normal to have a jippy tummy and loads of wind? I could sail my own boat at this wait..lol. Sorry if too much details.

Anne.xxx.

lynz85
10-05-2012, 10:03 PM
well done! you should see if your local pharmacy have a service to help you stop, we have a 'jar of tar' which represents the amount of tar collected in the lungs over a period of time! really puts people off seeing it!!

cats' staff
10-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Can't say I remember any stomach problems but I did develop a horrible cough for a bit and thought it most unfair. Apparently it is quite common as your lungs clear.
Treat yourself to some lovely perfume with the money you haven't spent on cigarettes. You don't smell of smoke any more so smell of something lovely instead!

snugsy01
10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Can't say I remember any stomach problems but I did develop a horrible cough for a bit and thought it most unfair. Apparently it is quite common as your lungs clear.
Treat yourself to some lovely perfume with the money you haven't spent on cigarettes. You don't smell of smoke any more so smell of something lovely instead!

Great idea cats'staff, will think about which one.

Well going to have coffee, sarnies and egg custard. Thanks for chatting everyone. Have a good night .

Anne xxx

MrsH
11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Well Done, keep it up.

I gave up several years ago, I can't stand the smell of smoke in the house so was smoking outside anyway. We have no greenhouse and I actually had to stand outside the kitchen door under an umbrella when it rained! How daft was that?

I used to hate it when it was cold and windy, saying things like "I have to go and have a cigarette before work, it's not nice in this horrible weather! I wish it would brighten up as I'm not enjoying it!" The solution was to stop! Obvious really!

Take each day at a time, every one without a smoke is a triumph!

Kazz
11-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Never been a smoker myself however I realise how difficult it is to give up so power to you.

pamela81
16-05-2012, 08:16 PM
well done!!!! your doing soo well!!!

JMPARK
21-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I'me starting tommorow! Going to the Docs tonight. Been smoking for almost 40 years!! Think ime going to have the medicine. Will let you all know how i get on!

Mags
21-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I'me starting tommorow! Going to the Docs tonight. Been smoking for almost 40 years!! Think ime going to have the medicine. Will let you all know how i get on!
Good luck JM ...... think positive and you will succeed ! :)

angieh
21-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Good Luck JM! Just think how much better a smoke free house will be for Joy and Beau.

pamela81
21-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Good luck from us aswell JM

Moli
21-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Good luck to both of you....

JMPARK
23-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Good Luck JM! Just think how much better a smoke free house will be for Joy and Beau.

Thanks, but I make sure I never smoke in the house. Hate the smell of stale smoke and the discolouring it make, that's besided th health problems of passive smoking!!

angieh
23-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm sure you do JM but the smell hangs on to clothes and it's not until you have given up for a bit that you realise that the smell hangs on ........