PDA

View Full Version : Rehomed a new unneutered boy.. advice needed please

sarah5
05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi all :D

I currently have two beautiful neutered boys, Charlie age 2 and Harvey age 16, who get on fabulously.

I have today rehomed another youngster, Billy, 11 months old, a stunning british blue cross, who seems extremely nervous.

Now Billy (unneutered) has come from a home where he was living with both his parents (both unneutered :roll: ) and his mums new kittens (by another random father :roll: rolls eyes again). Billy's dad has been attacking him and the reason for his rehoming was because of an incident last week where dad attacked him so badly that he has caused a horrendous leg wound :( (he has had veterinary care for this).

I only bought Billy home today and my two seem totally unphased by his hissing and spitting and are just staying out of his way - in any case he is so timid that he is hiding in the teeniest nooks and crannies he can find!

I have 2 Feliway diffusers running and am giving Zyklene to all 3 cats.

I definitely intend to neuter Billy - but how long should I wait before doing so? I have heard all sorts of horror stories about unneutered males (behaviour) and am obviously not going to let him out to create any more kittens than he may have already created!!

alexgirl73
06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Personally I would get him booked in to be neutered straight away :) The longer you leave it, the more ingrained his behaviour will become. And the quicker it's done, the quicker he should settle.

Elaine
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
At 11 months of age, he's is good to go, or his plums are;)

sarah5
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Awesome thanks ladies and hehe Elaine ;-)

I spoke with previous owner and he hasn't even had his kitten vaccines (yet he has been out roaming) so I am going to book him in for those before the neutering I think - quicker the better. Vet said they will do a microchip at the same time :-)

Liz
06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
When I get my lot done I get the bits off, microchip and first injections all done at once then you have 3 weeks till you have to go to the vet for the second part of the booster much easier and in the interim 3 weeks you have lots of time to make friends

I had Monty, Houston and Jaffa all former feral kittens done last week and their sisters Kali and Sherbet done 3 days later all bounding around and I am forgiven:)

sarah5
06-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Would you just get him booked in then as soon as possible, even though he has only just come to me?
He's such a timid little chap bless him

Elaine
07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, I would.;)

sarah5
07-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Great I will book it tomorrow - thanks!!!!