PDA

View Full Version : Joy And Beau Ill!!!

JMPARK
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Over the last couple of days both Joy and Beau have not been feeding and are very lethargic. Really not themselves.
We took them to the Vets today and he recons that Joy has had some sort of virus and seems to be getting over it, but has given it to Beau. The Vet gave Beau some Anti-biotics because she has quite a hight temperature. It's awfull seeing them just lounge around with "long" faces. Both have lost a small amount of body weight, but not enough to be too worried yet. They are slightly de-hydrated. Beau has been sick a couple of times, but Joy never was! I suppose, like humans. viruses affect cats in different ways.
Hopefully they will both show signs of recovery soon. Really don't know where they got the virus from as they have never been out! The vet thinks it may be a reaction to them possibly "licking" the Anti Worming Paste we applied to the back of their necks, but isn't sure!
Let's hope they get better soon!!

Mags
03-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear Joy and Beau haven't been well - I hope they both improve very soon..

lynz85
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
poor kitties, hope they feel better soon

angieh
03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
So sorry, poor kitties, poor you - must be so worried about them. Hope they are over the worst and are on the mend really soon.

pamela81
03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
aww hope they are better soon xx

Velvet
03-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Poor babies xx

Donna
03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Get well soon kitties x

JMPARK
04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Over the last couple of days both Joy and Beau have not been feeding and are very lethargic. Really not themselves.
We took them to the Vets today and he recons that Joy has had some sort of virus and seems to be getting over it, but has given it to Beau. The Vet gave Beau some Anti-biotics because she has quite a hight temperature. It's awfull seeing them just lounge around with "long" faces. Both have lost a small amount of body weight, but not enough to be too worried yet. They are slightly de-hydrated. Beau has been sick a couple of times, but Joy never was! I suppose, like humans. viruses affect cats in different ways.
Hopefully they will both show signs of recovery soon. Really don't know where they got the virus from as they have never been out! The vet thinks it may be a reaction to them possibly "licking" the Anti Worming Paste we applied to the back of their necks, but isn't sure!
Let's hope they get better soon!!

Starting to get really worried about the two of them! Both still not really eating or drinking and one has been a little sick over night, and Joy has tried to be sick in the litter tray this morning, but only a small amount of fluid came out. The vet says that Beau had lost 5% body weight and had a temperature and Joy had lost 3% body weight and temperature was ok. He thought that Joy had the virus first and had given it to Beau, but after being with both yesterday and with the sickness this morning, i think it's the other way round and Joy has caught whatever it is off Beau.
Going to ring the vet again today and see what they say! Hate this, feel so useless. Have given loads of tlc , but cann't give much more. Cann't get them to eat and Beau is the only one that has drunk anything at all, and that is only a very small amount!!
Will see what the vet has to say later.

Jonescat
04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Paws crossed for them both. They can be such a worry xx

angieh
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this JMP - I do hope that the vet can give you something to help your kitties. I am wondering whether slippery elm might help them, but you'd have to syringe that in. It would settle their tummies and may prevent them being sick. It's doubly worrying with the Easter holidays coming up - do you have access to an emergency vet service?

JMPARK
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Just another quick update.
The Vet has decided to keep them both in on a "drip" for at least a few hours. He is a little worried, after taking blood samples, about de-hydration. He has rulled out any poison and thinks it's some sort of stomach bug.
We do have access to an emergency vet and a 24hour helpline to a vet through our Insurance. Ime glad he kept them in, but am getting really worried about them both now!!

angieh
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
:hug: Fingers crossed JMP - loads of healing vibes from me, Kizzy and Pip

JMPARK
04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
:hug: Fingers crossed JMP - loads of healing vibes from me, Kizzy and Pip

Thanks to the three of you!! All vibes help!!

lynz85
04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
oh no, hope they feel well soon! have you got them back from the vets yet?

JMPARK
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi all!
Joy and Beau where kept in overnight. Beau is a bit more perkier than before but the vet is still worried about her temperature being a little too high and that niether of them are eating still. Joy is still very lathargic, as she always is when something is wrong!! Both have been ok from both "ends" , which is a good sign. Just wish they would eat.
The Vet wants to keep them there until they start to eat a bit. He is going to tempt them with a bit of tuna today, as ususally they love that fish and hopefully they will eat!!
Will let you all know later whats going on.
Thanks for all your well wishes and vibes and let's hope we get them back home today and back to the usual happy and loving cats they are!!

angieh
05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Extra "Eat up" vibes coming their way. Poor kitties - do hope they are home soon.

JMPARK
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Extra "Eat up" vibes coming their way. Poor kitties - do hope they are home soon.

Thanks Angieh! Need all the vibes they can get!! Don't expect to hear anything more until around 11am when the vet ends his consultations and has another good look at them both!
Poor little kits, really missing them!

Jonescat
05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Big purrs from us too!

JMPARK
05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Had a call from the vet to say that both their temperatures were down to just above normal and they had eaten a little. They were starting to perk up a bit and had been taken out of the small "kennel" and put into a spare room with a glass door in it. They were starting to keep the staff amused and to play a little bit. Both of them do a good impression of a meerkat , standing up on their hind legs!!! . Beau had still a little diarrhea , but the Vet thought that culd be because of all the antibiotics etc. she has had.
If this keeps as it is, we should have them home by 6pm tonight!!
Fingers crossed!! Thanks again for all your thoughts and extra "vibes"" you are all a true cat "family" Ime so glad i joined Catsey!!

alexgirl73
05-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Glad to hear they are feeling better, let's hope they are home soon xx

angieh
05-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Gentle cuddles from me. Hope they are already home.

lynz85
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
so glad to hear they are improving! hope they are home snuggling with you x

Mags
05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Glad to hear they have improved and I hope you have them back home with you tonight...

cats' staff
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Hope they are both better and snuggling up with you at home

JMPARK
10-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi all!
Just another quick update on the kitts! Both are alot better now and after ending their course of anti-biotics and paste for their stomach lining they seem to be about 90% well again. Beau has still a little problem from the rear end, but that is getting better and I think all the drugs havn't helped.
They were both quite ill at one point and even the vet got very worried. But they are both "little fighters" and have come through it well!
Thanks again for all your support Catsey family!!

angieh
10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
So glad to hear they are on the mend JMP - what a nasty worry they have caused but glad they've been little soldiers and fought their way back to health. Let's hope they continue to improve.

I always used to call Merlin my dear old soldier, he fought many health problems for many years and lived to the ripe old age of 23 and a half!

Jonescat
11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Really glad that they are on the mend. What was the final verdict on what was wrong with them? There are so many things to worry about.

JMPARK
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Really glad that they are on the mend. What was the final verdict on what was wrong with them? There are so many things to worry about.

There really wasn't a final verdict Jonescat, but the Vet thought it was some sort of stomach virus that Beau had caught and passed onto Joy. I don't know where it could have come from, as they have never been out of the house! The only thing we could think of was that ,either we brought something in on our shoes from outside, or they could have "licked" the Advocate anti-worming paste from each other and had some sort of reaction. but that theory is a bit floored as the blood tests showed NO sign of any poison! Really remainds a bit of a mystery! The only thing I do know is they were both quite ill and needed to be on a drip for 24hours and plenty of anti-biotics!
Still they are both on the mend now and starting to be their old selves again!!

Elaine
11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
So sorry I missed this but am very pleased they are on the up.

Not nice when your animals get so sick xxxx