PDA

View Full Version : Tolly's 2AM exploits

cats' staff
25-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Well Tolly caused me some consternation in the early hours! OH is away so I'm on my own. We always lock our trio in at night so we know that they are safe from foxes etc. When I went to sleep Tolly was snoozing next to me on the bed. At 2:30 I was awoken by one heck of a crash and he is no longer next to me. I go downstairs to find the cat flap smashed and Tolly missing! I'm in my PJs and wellies trying to quietly call him (the neighbours have a baby so I don't want to wake him). I finally round up a VERY huffy young man who draws blood as I try to pick him up to get him inside. Today I had to buy a new cat flap and fit it and currently have it barricaded - all cats will be banned from the kitchen when I go to bed.

I don't know what caused him to break out- it may be another cat who has been hanging around- but he literally smashed his way out!

Here's hoping for a quieter night.

lynz85
25-02-2012, 09:54 PM
oh dear tolly!! sounds like a mischievous boy!

Velvet
25-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Ours do that simply to get out into their run, especially Tim, he can be very determined. I put cup hooks either side of the flap & piece of wood across. Really the only deterrent is as you so rightly say, is a closed door.

Shelley123
26-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh my goodness Tolly you turned into the incredible hulk ;)
I bet he saw another cat lurking, hope you had a quieter night last night CS

pamela81
26-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh my goodness tolly!!! he must be such a strong boy!! i hope you managed to get a good sleep CS after that

cats' staff
26-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Now the poor dear claims that the new cat flap is too hard for him to open........... He somehow managed to make his way in when I shook a pack of dreamies at him.

angieh
26-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Goodness Tolly must have got up a head of steam to trash the door ..... must have seen another cat or maybe a fox?

Resourceful mum, fitting a new cat flap so quickly. Here's hoping you have a peaceful night tonight.

yola
27-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Wow - I thought catflaps could resist a charging cat! Obviously not. I think you need to limit him to 2 weetabix only . . . far too strong for his own good :shock:

cats' staff
27-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Wow - I thought catflaps could resist a charging cat! Obviously not. I think you need to limit him to 2 weetabix only . . . far too strong for his own good :shock:

I have no idea quite what happened but this catflap couldn't resist a charging Tolly. It is actually the second time he has done it. Last time he went after a fox (!)

Maybe we do have the incredible hulk cat? He was neutered at the right sort of age but does seem to have retained high 'Tom Cat' characteristics

Moli
27-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Thats some boy you have there CS.....:roll::lol:

cats' staff
28-02-2012, 10:22 PM
and now I can't get either Smudge or Tolly to use the new door! Although I saw Smudge open the old door by pulling it I hadn't realised that was the ONLY way she was prepared to use it- her technique won't work on the new door. Tolly just taps it and looks helpless

Sigh.... anyone want a magnetic catflap?

angieh
29-02-2012, 01:44 PM
What are they like???? I seem to remember a cat (can't remember which one!) hooking a claw under the flap and pulling it inwards to get out .... funny little bunnies.

truthisouthere
01-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear this, poor boy.
It's extremely rare for a fox to attack a healthy cat. I remember reading somewhere that a study was done on a large number of fox faeces until at last one was found with traces of cat bones in it. On closer examination the study concluded, however, that the cat would have been already dead before the fox took it. I don't know how they came to this conclusion but this is what was concluded.
I've also watched foxes and cats together for the past 15 years, and certainly the ones round here which come from the fields, even the big dog foxes, either ignore the cats, or give them a wide berth and much respect. I've no qualms with letting my cats out with foxes or badgers. I would only be worried if I thought my cat was lying very ill somewhere, foxes are opportunists.
Perhaps your boy categorises your fox as a dog..or the fox marked the catflap, I don't know, but he had a fright.

truthisouthere
01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
What are they like???? I seem to remember a cat (can't remember which one!) hooking a claw under the flap and pulling it inwards to get out .... funny little bunnies.

That's one clever cat angie!
When I 1st got Chesi he was a nightmare. He would push-test the cat flap with one paw, then as soon as he'd pushed it open with his paw and had got half of his front leg through he would then retract his paw and then panic like mad as he'd got it caught! :shock: :oops: :shock: Several times I had to had to help him out, fortunately he learnt from his mistakes and now uses it fine.