PDA

View Full Version : Being Spayed!!

JMPARK
22-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Am taking Beau and Joy to be spayed on monday morning, so plenty of T.L.C will be needed!
Really not looking forward to it, but is needed and a little late as they are just over 7months old now.
Will let you all know updates after the event.

angieh
22-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Hope all goes well JM - it is an anxious time waiting for your little ones to come home safely. Will be thinking of you all next Monday.

JMPARK
28-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Just A Quick Update On Beau And Joy! They Had Their Ops And Are Both Back Home Now A Little Worse For Wear! Just Wandering About With Their "space Collars" On. They Hate Them And Are Still Trying To Get Them Off. It Really Does Interfere With Their Sence Of Direction As Their Whiskers Are Inside The Collar. They Keep Banging Into Things.
They Are A Lttle Better This Morning And We Put A Small Amount Of "painkiller" Into Their Meal. They Are Not Eating Alot, Mainley As I Think Its That They Are Finding It Very Hard To Eat In Their Collars. They Have To Keep Them On For 10 Days, 7 At The Very Least We Have Been Told. Really Feel Sorry For Them And Their Little Sad Faces. Feel So Helpless. Just Trying To Give Them All The TLC I Can.

angieh
28-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Awwwwww poor wee darlings. They are so ungainly those collars. You can now get blow up collars, a bit like doughnuts that at least are softer. Monty had a softee collar on for a few days after he was neutered. He didn't like it, but it didn't interfere so much with lying down or eating.

You could try Googling!

Mags
28-02-2012, 03:44 PM
My daughter used to take the collar off her cat for mealtimes, then put it back on after. Mia soon got used to the system ....... as long as she had her food she was happy! :)

JMPARK
28-02-2012, 04:05 PM
My two very sad kittens!!

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/jmpark251159/420450_10150699337581285_649736284_11506497_138964 5584_n.jpg

angieh
28-02-2012, 04:07 PM
They still manage to look absolutely stunning JMP!

JMPARK
28-02-2012, 04:08 PM
If they continue to struggle i think i might try taking the collars off and see what happens!!

JMPARK
28-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks Angieh! they are really good looking kittens! ime so proud of them!!

Elaine
28-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I too would take the collars off to allow them to eat. If you are around and able to supervise them, take the blasted things off;)

truthisouthere
28-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Are they Birmans? Bless them, they've grown!

I tried the blow up collar and found it didn't stop Mitzi getting to her nether regions, also she couldn't lie quite flat, so I went back to what Beau and Joy are in now.

These collars can make it very awkard for them to get low enough to eat and drink easily. You might find raising their food and water bowls on a telephone directory will help while they have their collars on. I agree with taking the collars off whenever you can.

niki71uk
28-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I Put Cass's Food On A Plastic Bag On The Floor When,she Had Her Collar On,that Worked!!!!!

JMPARK
29-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the help! I took their collars off and instead of eating, they ran away to hide and try and lick their wound etc, so I had to put them back on again. Beau seems to be able to cope with the eating more than Joy. Joy hasn't eat much at all only a small bit now and again off my finger, but she is drinking. Going back to vets tomorrow for a post-op check-up, so will ask him for some advice to. Feel so useless , you can see them both distressed and cann't really help them.Feel like taking a chance, ( I know i cann't!! ), and taking the flipping things off!!!!! They needed to be spayed as it was really distressing Joy more so than Beau. My POOR BABIES!!!!

JMPARK
29-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Are they Birmans? Bless them, they've grown!

I tried the blow up collar and found it didn't stop Mitzi getting to her nether regions, also she couldn't lie quite flat, so I went back to what Beau and Joy are in now.

These collars can make it very awkard for them to get low enough to eat and drink easily. You might find raising their food and water bowls on a telephone directory will help while they have their collars on. I agree with taking the collars off whenever you can.

Don't know really what they are, as they were from a litter of 5 and the first 3 where all black!! Think there is a bit of either Siamese or Ragdoll in them.

Hevvur
29-02-2012, 08:54 AM
My vets use internal stitch, so no use for collars or painkillers!
So glad they do, as I hate those damn collars!

JMPARK
29-02-2012, 09:01 AM

We thought our vet might do that , but he didn,t! I think it's upto the individual vet

Velvet
01-03-2012, 02:15 AM

I told our vets last week i wanted the disolvable stitches for Misty. Shes coming up to that time too. I was told in
No uncertain terms that she would still need to wear a collar :(

Ive bought two, a soft one that is buster collar shape but soft & the blow up one

What gets me is if its a feral cat, they get dissolvable stitches & dont wear collars etc so why must pets have to wear them

Velvet
01-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Beau & Joy are gorgeous, both stunners x

JMPARK
01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
I told our vets last week i wanted the disolvable stitches for Misty. Shes coming up to that time too. I was told in
No uncertain terms that she would still need to wear a collar :(

Ive bought two, a soft one that is buster collar shape but soft & the blow up one

What gets me is if its a feral cat, they get dissolvable stitches & dont wear collars etc so why must pets have to wear them

I suppose being a feral cat , there is nobody to care about an infection, wheras the domestic cat is a "pet" and has the owner to care if it gets an infection. Don't really know. It's just awfull seeing the cats stressing all the time, and especially Beau isn't eating properly and really cann't seem to cope with the collar!! Joy is coping and eating far better but still is stressed. The vets do say to keep them on for 10 days, but i have heard that 6-7 days sometimes they can be removed.Even if i take the collar off them, they just run away and hide instead of eating!! Managed to get Beau to feed a little off my hand and from the floor, but not really enough. Iam going back to the Vets tonight for a post-op check up and will ask him what to do.Like I said before I feel so helpless, just have to keep giving them lots of TLC!

JMPARK
01-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks Velvet, they are, and ime so proud of the two of them!

Hevvur
02-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Awful seeing them like that and worrying isn't it :(
Abi had all internal dissolvable stitches, and all you could see on the outside was a 'line' where she had been cut! She never once tried to lick/scratch it! No collar, no painkillers and no check-up afterwards (unless of course you are worried)

Had the 2 youngest boys neutered on Monday too, both back to normal by Tuesday! Only cost £20 each too!

JMPARK
02-03-2012, 08:47 AM
I did ask about disolvable stitches, but our vet prefered the usual ones.Never again!! Will always make sure we get them if needed again.
Went back to the vet again for post-op and he said to take the collars off whilst we could be there to suppervise them and make sure they didn't pull the stitches out. What a difference it made, they were back to normal whithin a few minutes!!! great to see, felt so much better. They did lick their wounds but we made sure they didn't pull them. we put the collars back on overnight. Just got to be carefull and keep an eye on them!! So relieved!!

cats' staff
02-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm glad they are better!

JMPARK
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Jut A Quick Update On My Two Villians. They Have Both "pulled" Out Their Stitches, And Beau's Wound Looks A Little Sore, So We Have Had To Put The Collar Back On Her Whilst It Heals A Bit. Joy's Wound Has Healed Very Well. I Am Going Back To The Vet On Thursday, So Hopefully , By Then, Beau's Wound Will Be Healed!!
Thanks Again For All Your Comments And Concerns, It's Great To Be Able To Share Your Worries.

Moonbeam
05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi JMPARK :smt039 Sorry to hear the stitches have been pulled out, how worrying for you :( hopefully it will heal very quickly. Your cats are stunning :smt007 My Lottie is in tomorrow to be spayed, such an anxious time, I was on edge all day when Purdy was done. Luckily though we didn't have to use one of those collars and it healed lovelly by itself even though she did give it a sneaky lick now and then :roll: Hope all goes well at the vets on thursday.

JMPARK
06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi JMPARK :smt039 Sorry to hear the stitches have been pulled out, how worrying for you :( hopefully it will heal very quickly. Your cats are stunning :smt007 My Lottie is in tomorrow to be spayed, such an anxious time, I was on edge all day when Purdy was done. Luckily though we didn't have to use one of those collars and it healed lovelly by itself even though she did give it a sneaky lick now and then :roll: Hope all goes well at the vets on thursday.

Hi Moonbeam!
Hope all goes well with Lottie today at the vets. Beau's wound is healing alot better now, but they both really hate the collars. We have had to put them back on both of them, as Joy was starting to lick Beau's wound!! Hopefully we will be able to take them both off on Thursaday.
Good luck again for today!!

angieh
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Glad to hear that Beau and Joy's wounds are now healing - they really are little (beautiful) monkeys, aren't they?

And good luck for Lottie today Moonbeam. I'll be thinking about you both.

Moonbeam
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Aw thanks JMPARK and angieh, we dropped her off at 8.30 this morning, I rang at 12.30 and she was next on the list to be done, so still waiting to hear how she is :( I can imagine the look on her face having to wait in the vets all morning though :roll: never mind, hopefully I will be able to collect her soon and give her lots of fuss :D Glad the wound is healing better JMPARK, I can imagine them scowling at you through the collars :cat13

Moonbeam
06-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Lottie's home! We picked her up at 3.30 and she's looking very sorry for herself. She had a bowl of food, a wee then zonked out and has slept ever since, it's lovelly having her back home :)

angieh
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Glad it went well Moonbeam. Sleep is the best thing for her, bless.

Kazz
06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Glad it went well she will be right as rain.

Moonbeam
06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Aw thankyou :hug:

JMPARK
07-03-2012, 04:50 PM
That's great news Moonbeam! Glad everything went well. You can stop the worrying now and enjoy her company again!!

Moonbeam
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks JMPARK! The house is complete now she is back home, fingers crossed all goes well at the vets tomorrow for your furbabies :cat22

JMPARK
09-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks JMPARK! The house is complete now she is back home, fingers crossed all goes well at the vets tomorrow for your furbabies :cat22

Glad everything ok!
Both my villians are ok, Joy's wound has really healed well and Beau's is far better now. No collars unles they really start picking the wound, but they don,t seem to be doing that, so their like two new cats.

angieh
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Glad all is well - chin tickles for the brave little catlings.

Moonbeam
09-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Great news! No more scowling through the collars :lol: