PDA

View Full Version : Low Protein diet tips.

Gaina
21-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Hello All :)

If you've seen my posts today you'll know Billy's thyroid is now under control and his kidney and liver enzymes were stable, if on the high side.

My vet has suggested a low protein diet and we changed him to senior food after the results of the first blood test.

Thing is, he's a picky eater and likes a treat. If anyone has some advice on some wet and dry foods (he eats a bit of both) and some treats that are low in protein that your cats like, I'd really appreciate it :D.

He drinks cat milk and spring water, but he prefers the milk. Should I try and wean him off the milk or give it sparingly? I don't want to deny the old boy too many of his pleasures in life if I don't have to ;).

Elaine
21-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Vets tend to advise a low protein diet to help prevent or maintain kidney function but this isnt a proven fact. Too much phospherous in a cats diet can cause considerably more damage to the kidneys. Cats as you know are obligate carnivores and so they need a higher level of protein than say a dog does.
Have a good read of the following link, it should help greatly.
http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

Gaina
21-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Vets tend to advise a low protein diet to help prevent or maintain kidney function but this isnt a proven fact. Too much phospherous in a cats diet can cause considerably more damage to the kidneys. Cats as you know are obligate carnivores and so they need a higher level of protein than say a dog does.
Have a good read of the following link, it should help greatly.
http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

Oh, thanks Elaine! Billy is under weight just now so I was thinking 'how the heck do I get the weight back on him on a low protein diet!?'. I'll have a read of the link you sent me now ;)

Elaine
21-02-2012, 07:30 PM
A very informative site, full of helpful info on over active thyroids, High blood pressure etc.

Gaina
21-02-2012, 07:44 PM
A very informative site, full of helpful info on over active thyroids, High blood pressure etc.

It's great, I've bookmarked it as there's a lot to take in but the message that resonates with me most is 'the main thing is that your cat eats!'. We don't feed him rubbish, his only remotely human treat is a bit of cheese we hide his tablets in and a little bit of the chicken my Mum browns off when we have a stir fry or lasagne (once a week, twice at most and a small quantity).

Elaine
21-02-2012, 07:49 PM
It's great, I've bookmarked it as there's a lot to take in but the message that resonates with me most is 'the main thing is that your cat eats!'. We don't feed him rubbish, his only remotely human treat is a bit of cheese we hide his tablets in and a little bit of the chicken my Mum browns off when we have a stir fry or lasagne (once a week, twice at most and a small quantity).

Absolutely.
There is alot to take in and if you ever need any help with anything just shout.;)

Gaina
22-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Absolutely.
There is alot to take in and if you ever need any help with anything just shout.;)

Thanks Elaine :)

I actually had a stoke of luck last night as I had a chat on Twitter with Steve Leonard, the TV vet. He was smashing, reassured me I am doing the best I can, and agrees that at this precise moment, maintaining his thyroid stability is the most important thing and getting his weight back up.

truthisouthere
22-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Like Billy Mitzi has hyperthyrodism. I find Purina Pro Plan Sensitive dry works, on top of this I try and make sure she gets at least 2 wet tins of Gourmet Gold chicken and liver (liver's good) with warm chicken broth. It only takes a little of the dry food to go a long way, the wet contains lots of water..When feeding the dry make sure Billy always has a bowl of fresh water or milk to hand.

And stay away from anything fishy and anything high in purines.

Gaina
23-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Like Billy Mitzi has hyperthyrodism. I find Purina Pro Plan Sensitive dry works, on top of this I try and make sure she gets at least 2 wet tins of Gourmet Gold chicken and liver (liver's good) with warm chicken broth. It only takes a little of the dry food to go a long way, the wet contains lots of water..When feeding the dry make sure Billy always has a bowl of fresh water or milk to hand.

And stay away from anything fishy and anything high in purines.

Thank you! I'll check out the Purina Pro Plan. He always has a choice of dry and plenty of water available all the time :).

truthisouthere
27-05-2012, 06:28 PM
How is Billy, Gaina? If he's anything like a typical Maine Coon he'll be out and enjoying the weather lots!
My MC boy used to like to eat the most strangest of things, runner beans was one of his fetishes.

Gaina
28-05-2012, 01:40 PM
How is Billy, Gaina? If he's anything like a typical Maine Coon he'll be out and enjoying the weather lots!
My MC boy used to like to eat the most strangest of things, runner beans was one of his fetishes.

Hiya :D

He's doing really well, thank you! He's back up to 3kg and the vet said she doesn't need to seem him again until August/September.

He's in his comfy bed under the stairs right now as it's lovely and cool there, but as soon as the sun goes off the back garden he'll be out there :).

How are you and your fur-babies?

Gaina x

truthisouthere
29-05-2012, 10:55 PM
So good to hear Billy's keeping well and happy, must be all that love and attention he's getting. :)
All's good here thanks, enjoying the weather too!

Gaina
30-05-2012, 04:21 PM
So good to hear Billy's keeping well and happy, must be all that love and attention he's getting. :)
All's good here thanks, enjoying the weather too!

Glad all's well in your neck of the woods :). I never know what to do for Bill when the weather's like this. My old dog used to love eating ice cubes but I think billy just enjoys complaining that I've NOT made it rain...then he complains that I can't make it stop. There's no pleasing that cat! :P

truthisouthere
31-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Glad all's well in your neck of the woods :). I never know what to do for Bill when the weather's like this. My old dog used to love eating ice cubes but I think billy just enjoys complaining that I've NOT made it rain...then he complains that I can't make it stop. There's no pleasing that cat! :P

:lol: What do you expect? He's a Maine Coon!! Always very outspoken and wonderfully complex, Gaina! You wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Gaina
04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
:lol: What do you expect? He's a Maine Coon!! Always very outspoken and wonderfully complex, Gaina! You wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Haha, exactly! But that's what makes them such a joy to have as a friend :).