PDA

View Full Version : water fountain

pamela81
20-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Just thought i would ask if anyone else uses the water fountains and what thoughts are about them, im looking at this 1

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains/67700

Elaine
20-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Think Pat (Moli) used to have one of those, I had the big cat it dome, I liked it but it was a pain to clean. I then got a pet mate from P@H, I liked it but thepump went on it, now Pat has kindly donated me her drinkwell, so will see how that goes.

pamela81
20-02-2012, 10:40 PM
will you let me know elaine please? When we had the cystitis prob with harris, the vet recommended getting something like this as it would encourage him to drink more water which would help prevent a recurrance, but we still havent done it

Moli
20-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I love the Cat Mate....Leo had crystals years ago and have always used a fountauin since....The drinkwell, was too small, as ,my dogs use it as well, but as I said the Cat Mate is perfect....

Elaine
20-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I think Erin got the one that you are looking at when Jerry had cystitis, I think it did help him drink more but think his cystitis was more stress related than diet related.

I have liked all of the ones I had/have just felt that the P@H one pump should have lasted longer than it did.

pamela81
20-02-2012, 10:47 PM
definitely!! i would have taken it back!!! Its def something we are going to think about for them

pamela81
20-02-2012, 10:58 PM
moli, sorry, i never saw your post when i replied, good to hear that it helped leo. Its something we are looking into to see what one is suitable for my monsters!!

Moli
20-02-2012, 11:40 PM
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains/146828?gclid=COWUxb7Pra4CFe4htAodYkoqRw

This is the one I have...

angieh
21-02-2012, 12:12 AM
I have the Pet Mate one - Kizzy likes it but Pip never uses it as he prefers the tap. The first pump we had didn't last long, but you can buy replacements.

Erin
21-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Just thought i would ask if anyone else uses the water fountains and what thoughts are about them, im looking at this 1

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains/67700

Yes I have this one, got it nearly 3 years ago and it's still going strong! While it didn't totally clear up Jerrys cystitis (he too has had crystals in the past) it certainly got him drinking more which can only be a good thing.
We haven't had a flare up for ages now (he used to get very regular flare ups)and I can honestly hand on heart say, that I think it's the change in food. Hes on Natural Insticts now (raw) with the occasional chicken wings and minced beef as a treat. He used to love his dry food and I'm convinced it was this that used to cause the flare ups. We moved house back in January, this before the food change would have guaranteed a bout of cystitis, I stocked up on cystaid to be safe but they remain un used :-)

truthisouthere
22-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Chesi had crystals a few years back now and I can 100% vouch that he would never use one of these; The crystals issue seems to be held at bay not by having 2 fresh water bowls in the bungalow.. but by him finding that access to the pond and any of the four bird baths with rainwater are far tastier for him! It took me a while to understand that he rarely drinks anything apart from rainwater.

Let us know how you get on, every cat is different!