PDA

View Full Version : Black and white cats ?

spadge
29-01-2012, 08:26 PM
hi all sorry if this is dumb , is a black white cat classed as a tabby or can it be ? :?
my daughter is a cat in a show and has been told shes a tabby but shes black and white and we dont get it - curious

thanks

truthisouthere
29-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi, and welcome :)
A tabby is usually of a striped appearance, closest in markings to the Scottish Wildcat, sometimes with an 'M' shape on the forehead. It comes in many colour variations but is always striped in some way.

I would think not spadge. Some very young black cats have 'stripes' that you can just make out as slightly different tones of black, but they grow out of this as they grow, not classed as tabby.

Black AND white usually come mottled and with spots and splodges, and smudges and a JUST black and white cat is not classed as being 'tabby'. I can't think they meant 'tortie' either. ..

...The words' judge of show' and 'Specsavers' comes to mind..!? :)

spadge
29-01-2012, 08:51 PM
thank you !

i agree re specsavers and that was my thoughts but needed an expert opinion ! thanks

truthisouthere
29-01-2012, 09:05 PM
You're welcome.

I'm no expert. :oops:
Many an expert on these forums tho! :)

Velvet
30-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Can we see a photo of the "tabby", I'm curious now :)

spadge
30-01-2012, 08:22 AM
:) its a costume so not really no , its black and white , white tummy

truthisouthere
30-01-2012, 08:51 PM
hi all sorry if this is dumb , is a black white cat classed as a tabby or can it be ? :?
my daughter is a cat in a show and has been told shes a tabby but shes black and white and we dont get it - curious

thanks

Ahh, I see! Your daughter plays a cat in a show, a stage show.
I think we all thought it was a typo error and your daughter was showing one of her cats. :shock: :lol:
Hope the show goes well, ..perhaps black and white was the only suit they had. Still...Specsavers.. :-D

Velvet
31-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Ahh, I see! Your daughter plays a cat in a show, a stage show.
I think we all thought it was a typo error and your daughter was showing one of her cats. :shock: :lol:
Hope the show goes well, ..perhaps black and white was the only suit they had. Still...Specsavers.. :-D

Ah I see now too :-D

angieh
31-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Ha-ha! Quite confusing though, especially for a child. Don't tell me, it's CATS!