PDA

View Full Version : Calico and tortie

pamela81
24-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Just thought i would ask if anyone knew what the difference is between a calico and a tortie cat are? On skyes records from the cats protection, she is down as being calico but the vet told us today that she is a tortoise shell. She did explain the difference but i didnt understand it completely.

Ive added some pics to have a look at to see what other members think.

I know she is simillar to one of the other members cat who is a tortie.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3007/dscf1559n.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5673/dscf1583medium.jpg

angieh
24-01-2012, 04:35 PM
She's such a beautiful girl! Nearest cat I think is Mags' Cassie.

Here is Wikipedia's definition:

Tortoiseshell describes a coat coloring found mostly in female cats. Cats of this color are mottled, with patches of orange or cream and chocolate, black or blue. They are sometimes called torties. A cat with this coloring, but also with the tabby pattern, is a torbie.

"Tortoiseshell" is typically reserved for cats with brindled coats with relatively few or no white markings.

Those that are largely white with red and brown patches (rather than a brindled aspect) are described as tortoiseshell-and-white (in the United Kingdom) or calico (in Canada and the United States). Tortoiseshells and calicos are not specific breeds of cat. The tortoiseshell markings appear in many different breeds as well as in non-purebred domestic cats.[1] This pattern is especially preferred in the Japanese Bobtail breed.[2]"

So if I understand it correctly, Skye is a tortoiseshell and white cat, but would be called a calico in USA or Canada.

pamela81
24-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks angie :) it was mags, Cassie i was thinking of :) The vet said it was somethng to do with her markings as calicos have more "splodges" of colour or something along those lines. I did have a wee look on wiki but it just confused me!!! but someone breaking it down helps :) thank you :)