PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion/advice

Velvet
15-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Folks

I'm a bit uneasy about little Mindy. She is just 8 months old. Over the past few days (less than a week) she has developed what appears to be a distended tummy. She is no longer the kitten shape, more like an adult cat of 4/5 yrs with the big tummy. I took a photo and sent it to a friend in rescue and she like myself thinks there is swelling

Mindy is fine in herself, running about, playing, eating & drinking well, pooh & wee normal. I will ring the vet in the morning to get her seen.

Even Tim or Amber at 19 & 17 months are not this shape :(

Can you look at the photos - which I appreciate are not all that clear nor do they show a true pictureof whatever it is. She is such a lovely cat, a real treasure.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this in a kitten or young cat & know what it could be or do you think I am worrying unnecessarily?

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Timambmin2/8582b13b.jpg

This is more like what it's like - 2 furry cow udders hanging down, but her shape just doesn't look right *

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/Timambmin2/458c3702.jpg

Kay
15-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I take it she has been spayed? Some cats can get a bit droopy but it tends to be older cats especially ones who have had kittens, which is obviously not Mindy. Has she been wormed regularly?

I think a check up at the vets is wise although it is probably something or nothing. So try not to worry.

Velvet
15-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I take it she has been spayed? Some cats can get a bit droopy but it tends to be older cats especially ones who have had kittens, which is obviously not Mindy. Has she been wormed regularly?

I think a check up at the vets is wise although it is probably something or nothing. So try not to worry.

Yes, she was spayed approximately 8 weeks ago. Yes they are wormed regularly.

lynz85
15-01-2012, 11:09 PM
has she been going to the toilet ok? other than that the only thing i think it could have been was worms also. think vets is the best bet here. hope shes ok x

Velvet
15-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes toilet both ways fine. Did wee bit of surfing which is not always best thing to do as now I am really worried :(

Kay
15-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't start worrying. It could just be poor muscle tone underneath. Some cats do have this.

angieh
15-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Yes I'd take her to the vet - really the only thing you can do to find out if anything needs to be done and to put your mind at ease. Fingers crossed all is well.

Velvet
17-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Vets tomorrow

My internets gone down - using mobile which is a bit of a hit & miss. :(. Very very slow & very limited access.

Kobster
17-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Is she feeling well in herself? If you've googled, you are probably thinking FIP, but FIP cats are VERY VERY ill, and if she is otherwise fine in herself, its likely nothing serious at all. Take a deep breath, and let us know what the vet says. She may just have a different build to your other cats.

Shelley123
17-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Hope the vets visit goes ok, Helen.

angieh
17-01-2012, 01:53 PM
My connection was bad yesterday - makes you feel isolated, doesn't it?

Fingers crossed vet visit goes well.

Velvet
18-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Everything is okay thankfully From she was spayed she has put on 2.4 kilos, nothing to worry about. The tiny under weight kitten is catching up with growth spurts.

angieh
18-01-2012, 10:26 AM
So glad to hear that Velvet. What a relief!