PDA

View Full Version : Going Outside Worries??

Pickalilly
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
My five month old kitten will be neutered in a month and a half (and microchipped while under the anaesthetic). After this, if the weather isn't awful, he will start being allowed out. Where I live there are gardens after gardens, so he will not get onto the road at all, even if he trAvels far...which is great!

But I am terrified! I love him so much...he is a ginger half Ragdoll, but really sharp and streetwise.

Should he be safe from the couple of skinny foxes that shyly wander around now and them?

Will he come back?? He comes to his name or the shake of treats and loves all the care and toys at the house, so will he come back??? I want him in at night but I don't. Want to deny him of the real hunting exercise etc.

Do you think he'll be find? I'm almost hoping that he won't like it outdoors much. I have taken him out on the harness many times and he always want to come back inside!!

Thanks

paulinef2
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
When tiger first started going out he just went out for a little while before coming back in, he'd then go back out for a little while again. He did this until he was confident outside, I was very worried about letting him out initially though.

angieh
02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
It is scary - but it sounds as if you've been doing all the right things, like taking him out on a harness so he can orientate himself. It's always a good idea the first time he's let out free to do it before he's fed, so he's hungry and will want to come back indoors for his meal.

Good luck! I do appreciate how you feel though.

calismum
02-01-2012, 06:13 PM
You sound just like I do any time I am due to let a new cat out for first time. I think you describe how we all feel. As angieh said, you're doing all the right things, and the feeding tip is a good idea. Good luck.

x-clo-x
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
i wouldnt worry too much :D both mine go out and have been doing since kittens.

they always come back and ive never lost one, they dont roam anywhere and even when out tend to stick to the same areas (i often see them when i walk the dogs :lol: ) both mine are 4 now, they ask to go out in the morning, go to the toilet then come in and get breakfast. they then might go back out if the weather is nice, in the summer they can be out near enough all day, myrtle definitely can. but they always come in when it starts to go dark.

Pickalilly
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks very much, I am still terrified but I can't deny him of that full leaping experience of trying (but failing due to three bells on collar :) ) of hunting a bird

x-clo-x
03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks very much, I am still terrified but I can't deny him of that full leaping experience of trying (but failing due to three bells on collar :) ) of hunting a bird

just a note... my cats have still managed to catch things with bells on their collars ;)

Hreow
04-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Routine is good as well. Always calling him home for a nice treat at the same times (going out again afterwards optional) so that his inner clock will tell him when you want him home. Nice treat (food or play) and a cuddle when you come home, that sort of thing.

Velvet
05-01-2012, 12:48 AM
......or, you could have a cat run built :)