PDA

View Full Version : iPad or Kindle???

angieh
28-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Here's just a query for you to give your opinions on ....... would you go for an iPad rather than a Kindle (or equivalent)? iPad is more versatile but of course a lot more expensive .... what do you think? I'd be very interested if you have either one. I see Yola got an iPad for Christmas and I know several of you have Kindles :D

Thanks!

Velvet
28-12-2011, 01:25 PM
iPad - using it now. The iStore has it's own iBooks or iLibrary to get books from. Lot are free & others are from 69p. I have books downloaded to iPad & iTouch :)

iPads are just so versitable. You can download the BBC & ITV iPlayers where you can watch tv. Download films etc.

You have the web (rarely use laptop) emails & video calling

The only draw back is if you are a typist - the onscreen keypad gets a bit of getting used to. I type fast & it doesn't work that way. However that aside it's the best bit of equipment I have ever invested in, apart from the iPhone:-D

Can't recommend them highly enough

My sister has a Kindle & loves it.

Kim
28-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Isn't a kindle just for reading books? An iPad is very different and similar to a laptop in many ways. I have an iPad and love it, am using it to type this! I mainly use it to search the internet and go on my forums, but have watched iplayer and ITV player on it, also send and receive emails, use it as an iPod and can take photos and videos! Very versatile. I agree that the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to though.

dandysmom
28-12-2011, 05:05 PM
The iPad screen seems terribly small to me and I think the lack of a real keyboard would bother me. I'm happy with my desktop for internet access; love the
Kindle: portability, price, ease of use......

Shelley123
28-12-2011, 06:45 PM
ipads sound great but i can't comment as i've never had one. Have just got a kindle for christmas so it's early days for that.
I think you can only download books from amazon but that's fine for me. There is a section where you can get free books, think it's once they have been out of copyright for a certain number of years. There are books ranging from a few pence upwards. I downloaded two yesterday, one free and the other not, it took about 30 seconds to download from my laptop to the kindle.

Mags
28-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I think it depends what you want to use it for...... I'm an iPad owner myself (my son has a Kindle) and I'd say the iPad is the one to choose if you're interested in downloading apps, playing games, watching video, going on the internet and so on. The one thing the iPad struggles with is providing a good reading experience. If you're looking to do a lot of reading on the device, I would choose a Kindle - the reason being that the iPad is quite heavy to hold for a long period of time, and it's almost impossible to read on its glossy screen when outdoors. The Kindle seems like a near perfect reading experience and you can read it outdoors without any difficulty. I know the iPad has iBooks but the Kindle has the benefit of Amazon and its enormous catalogue behind it.

angieh
29-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mags - it really is horses for courses, isn't it?

Thanks everyone for your views - I've still not decided, but the criteria at least is clearer in my head!

Kim
29-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Great post Mags, I agree, I think it depends what you want it for! I bought my OH a kindle for Christmas and he loves it, but only wants it to read books, whereas I want to do a lot more on my iPad. Kindles were designed for reading books, so i agree that if that's what you want to do, that does the job best! :)

Shelley123
29-12-2011, 04:13 PM
good point Mags, they are two very different machines.
according to Howard a Kindle's screen is not backlit like a computer, the page is designed to resemble paper.
I did some reading on mine for the first time last night and was pleased to note that i didn't need my reading glasses, you can adjust the size of the text but i found i didn't need to. It's very light and comfy to use, i need to read the booklet to see if there's an easy way to get back to the first few pages as sometimes i need to recap.
I'm reading a free book about the development of Broadmoor hospital and some of it's victorian inmates, very jolly stuff, lol

paulinef2
02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
The new kindle is going to have more on it but at the moment definitely just for reading. The ipad gives a much better all round experience but without the benefit of flash which some of the other tablets do have. Unfortunately apple do seem to have cornered the tablet market.

calismum
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I have a kindle and love it - step daughter has an ipad and loves that - but steals my kindle to read mainly for the reasons mags pointed out. I think they are two different beasts made for different reasons.

Shelley - I downloaded that book about Broadmoor too, makes me want to look for more books of that ilk.

yola
04-01-2012, 12:40 PM
My iPad is the mutts. It really is. The screen is small, but the resolution is amazing and we watch iPlayer films on it in preference to the 21" widescreen PC monitor. Sound it excellent too. I would recommend going for the highest spec'd one you can afford - OH got me the top-of-the-range one as it'll be used for business too, and it really flies.

I bought Dominik a Kindle for Christmas and have had a play with it. It's got a surprisingly good screen for character clarity but it really is only a book reading tool and not a full-on computer. The interface is a bit clunky too, compared to the iPad swipe. There is a coloured-screen Kindle out in the US as the moment which also has greater internet integration and functionality but not read any reports on when it'll be available in the UK.

nicola34
31-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a pad 2.
I used mine for emails. Music. Games and music videos.
My mum has a kindle but wants a iPad aswell.

angieh
31-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I went for the Kindle and I love it. I have a cover with a light attached so I can read without putting the room light or separate reading light on.

Kazz
01-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Interesting Angie I am swaying towards a kindle never thought I would say that but taking so many books on holiday did weigh me down and of course I had to choose books to take...............Have looked at the covers too does that make it feel more like a book and does the kindle actually fit into it.
I am looking at the basic kindle rather than the keyboard one.

angieh
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I have the basic Kindle - I think it's called a Kindle 4 which is the newer version. It's slightly smaller and lighter than the last version. If you are looking at covers, make sure it is the one made for the model you get - my version 4 cover fits beautifully. I bought it from eBay - very good leather cover that fits beautifully into the hand. It's perfect if you want to take a load of books on holiday - just the best solution IMO.

Kazz
01-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Okay kindle purchased and cover too and a protective clear screen saver (on offer) too. all in all I am happy just planning on having dinner (roast turkey) and then uploading maybe but off out tonight so maybe later or tomorrow.

angieh
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I should have mentioned Kazz - do you have WiFi or access to it? You will need it to download books. Alternatively, there are other websites, such as Gutenberg where you can download books to your computer and then transfer to your Kindle.

Kazz
01-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Yes got Wifi

angieh
01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Hooray ............... I hope to hear that you are a happy bunny in a wee while.

angieh
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Has it arrived yet Kazz????

Kazz
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Arrived ....Yes I brought it from a shop....not had chance to down load anything yet can't do that sort of thing and work nights so the weekend I will download.......

angieh
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Any idea what your first choice will be?

Kazz
23-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Okay following on from this even though I mocked the kindle in favour of proper books I have to say since getting the kindle and now having become a downloading kindle junkie.............I love my kindle have reread Kim.......and downloaded an assortment of books I like the recomendations bit but find my taste is so diverse it is struggling to keep up.

angieh
23-04-2012, 04:54 PM
:D :D :D I'm really glad Kazz ..... I think it's another of those modern miracles, like the digital camera. I love mine too!

Book recommendations are always hit and miss - people are allowed to like the things they like!

Kazz
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Still loving the kindle.

angieh
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
So do I ......... reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer atm!

Kazz
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
So do I ......... reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer atm!
Thats weird I have Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn loaded along with loads of classics like that.

Shelley123
11-06-2012, 10:08 PM
i realy like the Kindle but struggle with the fact that you can't seem to find a summary about what the book is about. Whenever i've down loaded books they seem to start more or less at page one of the story. I sometimes download and then don't read straight away, i then forget what the book is about. I know you can find out from amazon but would realy like to be able to do it on the kindle without connecting to WIFI.

angieh
11-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Yes, that does annoy me too - going in straight at the start. Some books have the title page right at the end. I looked for a summary for one book I'd downloaded and like you found I had to connect to Amazon to read the blurb. I suppose having said that you can switch the connection on and off again and I suppose that it saves space.

Shelley123
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
i think i'll get in touch with the kindle people and tell them my thoughts...............

angieh
12-06-2012, 10:26 AM
If you want to get up a petition of sorts, I'll sign it.

On top, of course, VAT is chargeable which it isn't on normal books .... that to my mind isn't right either!

Shelley123
14-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Here's the reply i recieved from amazon
Hello,

I understand that you would the like the Summary feature to be available for
your kindle contents for improved reading experience.

As for now I cannot personally make any change but I have forwarded your
interest/suggestion to the Kindle development team for consideration.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service and
products we provide, and we are glad you took time to write to us. I have sent
your comments to the business team.

Please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about Kindle to
kindle-feedback@amazon.co.uk . Each suggestion will be read and taken into
consideration.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=A1GLXLFGD0XS9R&k=hy

If no please click here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=A1GLXLFGD0XS9R&k=hn

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our

Warmest Regards
Jobin

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
To manage your Kindle and content online, visit:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/cs/manageyourkindle

---- Original message: ----

shan't hold my breath :D

angieh
14-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Started off well and then began to sound like a standard reply! But well done for trying Shelley .... I suppose with any product, no-one is to know that it's not 100% unless people like you take the trouble to tell them.

Shelley123
14-06-2012, 07:56 PM
my thoughts exactly Angie, i felt quite hopeful until i got to the bottom when it asked had my problem been solved, er No !