PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular cat/dog names

dandysmom
16-12-2011, 05:57 PM
This was in an e-mail from my pet insurance carrier; thought it was interesting for the names here in the States:

We looked through our roster of insured pets to see which names were most popular in 2011. Here are the top 10 dog and cat names among our protected pals.
1. Bella
2. Max
3. Buddy
4. Lucy
5. Bailey
6. Molly
7. Charlie
8. Daisy
9. Maggie
10. Chloe
There were also some unique names in our top 100 including Gizmo, Luna, Oreo, and Bruno. What’s your favorite pet name? Post a comment and let us know!

angieh
16-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Interesting Eileen - I'll see if I can find a similar list from UK. Coincidentally, the long haired dachshund I mentioned the other day who was so good at the agility course was called Oreo and his pal was Rollo. I think Oreo is a chocolate biscuit but I'm not sure!

We did loads of lists trying to decide on a name for Monty, which turns out is a particularly popular name - I think there are 4 "Monty"s on the Schnauzer forum I belong to.

Shelley123
16-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Malaika is Swahili for Angel and Kwame swahili for born on a saturday.
Tom and Jerry were of course named after the cartoon characters, if they had been my cats from the begining they would probably have been Reg and Ron after the Krays, although Jerry's nature is realy lovely as was Tom's.
Looking at your list Eileen, i think a lot of the names are very popular here too, we have had a Max.

dandysmom
16-12-2011, 08:12 PM
We've had lots of Chloes, a Bella and a Daisy, and Moli had a dog Maggie .......

farthing
17-12-2011, 12:29 AM
We've had quite a selection of names here-
our of the list we have had,
a foster dog called Buddy,

we have a rat called Lucy,

we've had 4 Molly's- Molly Parkin the cat, Molly the rabbit, Molly a hen and Helga was originally called Molly,

We've had 3 Charlies- the goat, a guinea pig and a quail,

we've also known 3 Daisy's- our second bun, Daisy a foster bun and Daisy the most recent bun we have taken in,

no others but we have Bruno the dog and recently lost Luna the rat.

Not as imaginative as I thought we were!:lol:

angieh
17-12-2011, 10:31 AM
TOP TEN DOG NAMES

1 Poppy

2 Alfie

3 Molly

4 Charlie

5 Max

6 Bella

7 Ruby

8 Millie

9 Daisy

10 Rosie

TOP TEN CAT NAMES

1 Poppy

2 Oscar

3 Charlie

4 Molly

5 Daisy

6 Millie

7 Alfie

8 Rosie

9 Tigger

10 Bella, Max, Monty

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013340/Pet-owners-favour-human-names-cats-dogs-research-reveals.html#ixzz1gmap7msW

dandysmom
17-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that, Angie; interesting! We have/had a Molly (mrsH), Millie (Elaine) Bella (Luke), Daisy (Whiskey) ... have I forgotten any?

But we've had so many Chloe's and it didn't make the top ten!!

angieh
17-12-2011, 05:45 PM
It's strange that the top dog and cat name are the same!

dandysmom
17-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Lack of imagination, I assume. But we had a Rover cat!! :mrgreen:

farthing
17-12-2011, 06:58 PM
We had a dog called 'Dog'!

dandysmom
17-12-2011, 08:16 PM
A lot of distinctive names here: Chancer, Tiggles, Kizzy, Izzy, Toffee, Cloud, just to name the first that come to mind.....

calismum
17-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Just looking at that list - remember I considered calling Izzi and breagh, Rosie and Ruby - so pleased now that they are a bit more unique.

Leia is pretty unique too DM

dandysmom
17-12-2011, 11:13 PM
I can't take credit for that, she was already named when I rehomed her at 5 months ... and she knew her name, so ........

lisa01uk87
19-12-2011, 01:37 PM
i have bella the cat ( i let a neighbours kid name her, and she was named after the character in the tweenies) i dont have any of the others though dog, cat or rat names

my animals are

Cats:
Bella
Trouble
Strife
Magic

Rats:
Jess
Riz
Robyn
Jude

Dogs:
Ty
Xeva

angieh
19-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I can't take credit for that, she was already named when I rehomed her at 5 months ... and she knew her name, so ........

I know you probably wouldn't have chosen Leia as her name, but having been an original Star Wars fan, I think Princess Leia is a great name and certainly seems to suit HRH!

(Just btw - I now have met a Mini Schnauzer called "Wookie" - her owner didn't name her and had no idea what a Wookie was ....... seems to suit her too!)

dandysmom
19-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I know you probably wouldn't have chosen Leia as her name, but having been an original Star Wars fan, I think Princess Leia is a great name and certainly seems to suit HRH!

(Just btw - I now have met a Mini Schnauzer called "Wookie" - her owner didn't name her and had no idea what a Wookie was ....... seems to suit her too!)

LOL, I've never seen the movie but knew what a wookie is! Leia was supposed to be a boy cat named Taz ... short for Tasmanian Devil; long story.

x-clo-x
23-12-2011, 10:55 AM
not suprised my dog and cat names arent in the top ten... i like unusual names for my animals :D

my cats are called myrtle and ezmerelda (ezzy for short) :D

and the dogs are daphni and asbo :lol:

dandysmom
23-12-2011, 04:45 PM
See, more unusual names; we cat people here have wonderful imaginative names indeed! :D

angieh
23-12-2011, 06:41 PM
LOL, I've never seen the movie but knew what a wookie is! Leia was supposed to be a boy cat named Taz ... short for Tasmanian Devil; long story.

Do tell!!!!

dandysmom
23-12-2011, 07:18 PM
My dear friend Nora, may she rest in peace, is the one who talked me into taking Leia. Her daughter Peggy lived in the country where it was common to let the cats outside as they weren't too near a road and the traffic wasn't that heavy. Nora's little grandon, JR, had his Mom and Grandma's love of animals, and had his very own young cat, Taz. So, Taz was unfortunately the victim of a RTA; JR was just desolated and cried and cried wanting to know why God had taken his beloved pet .... hard to explain that sort of thing to a little boy ... well, hard to explain God's will to an adult, but I digress! Anyhow, I promised JR my next cat would be a boy cat and named Taz for him.

Then, one of Nora's employees had to vacate her apartment due to flooding and the only place they could find didn't allow pets; so of course Nora took Leia and Snowball in until they could be rehomed.. And took one look at the Princess who looked so incredibly like my late Misty ... blue torbies aren't that common! ... that she called me and said "I have your cat!" I tried to argue I was waiting for a boy, but Nora sent me a pic of baby Leia .... and that was that.

Long story, but you asked for it..... :D

angieh
23-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Lovely story Eileen .......... do you have any photos of Leia as a kitten?

dandysmom
23-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Lovely story Eileen .......... do you have any photos of Leia as a kitten?

Just this one: poor copy of a snapshot. You've seen it before.

http://www.catsey.com/http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0156.jpghttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0156.jpg

lynz85
23-12-2011, 11:07 PM
i've only had one or two the same as the list

my dogs-
zimba- doberman
taz- labrador x pointer
ty- labrador

cats-
pip- dsh
mondo-dsh
tigger aka jungle cat- norty tortie
hobbes- tabby
mac- tabby

im not even gonna try and remember and note the names of all my rats!! i had one called bella but that was my mummy rat so she was called 'mummy rat'

dandysmom
23-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I like Hobbes for a tabby, lynz,,, Did you have the Calvin and Hobbes comic in the UK?

lynz85
24-12-2011, 12:37 AM
yes eileen i have quite a few of the books :D

juju1989
24-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Hello,

Cats
Tom
Geri- These two are brother and sister
Stevie (named when we had him but quite fitting as he has only 1 eye and constantly sings like Stevie Wonder.

Dog
Milo mut mut the chocolate dog (this is his name we let my nephew who was 4 at the time name him!)

Rabbits
Pinky
Purky

Hamster
Harry/ Hermoine was being called Harry until we found out he was actually a she xx

angieh
24-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Just this one: poor copy of a snapshot. You've seen it before.

http://www.catsey.com/http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0156.jpghttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0156.jpg
Ah yes, the girl waiting to grow into her ears! My Merlin was like that!

dandysmom
24-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Ah yes, the girl waiting to grow into her ears! My Merlin was like that!

LOL, and she did. Notice the ringed tail, striking even when she was so small! :D