PDA

View Full Version : Cornish Game Hens

dandysmom
24-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I came across a mention of them in the Food section of the paper, and it occurred to me that it might be even more practical than a chicken for the Thanksgiving/Christmas meal for a single person. Has anyone cooked them? Are they mostly white meat? (I hope!). Any comments appreciated.

angieh
24-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I've not come across them at all Eileen - but I suspect they are a bit like poussin - a very young bird, so should be tasty and I would suspect they would be a mixture of white and dark meat, just like a fully grown chicken.

This seems to be a site with loads of recipes -

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blpoul45.htm

dandysmom
24-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Oh I've been on a lot of sites, thank you, but was hoping someone who'd actually had cooked one might know more. There was a reference to poussin on several sites; also some that said they were bred for white meat.

Kazz
25-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I like Poussin perfect for one person in my opinion and as they are baby hens, they are also mostly breast meat the legs are brown meat but all in all a good choice Eileen I think.

dandysmom
25-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks! I think that'll be my Christmas dish instead of the chicken. Leia can have the dark meat. :D