PDA

View Full Version : if we get 2 kittens from different litters and breeds. Will they likely bond?

DavidC
09-11-2011, 12:51 PM
We have a 7 year old female Tabby and a very old male Russian Blue. We also have 2.6 year old dog. However it doesn't look like our Russian Blue will be with us much longer. :( They were both rescue cats, the boy being very affectionate and the girl being quite skittish and reserved. They don't associate much with each other except at food time.

We would ultimately want another cat again after a while. I've always wanted a kitten, but had been thinking of getting two. So that we could see them grow up together with a bond. A bond that we have never seen with our existing cats. :(

I've been looking into breeds for a while and narrowed it down to a Norwegian Forest Cat and a Siberian. Since I'm struggling to decide, I was thinking why not one of each? I'd like to get them around the same time, within a week or 2 of each other.

I was thinking 2 boys might be best, as another female would probably antagonise our existing tabby.

What I'm mainly wondering is about how likely the 2 kittens would be likely to form a close bond, cuddle up together etc? I appreciate that all are different and there are no guarantees.

Thanks
David

angieh
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
That's a tricky one David and I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Hope someone else will come along to advise.

dandysmom
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I know it sounds like hedging, but it all depends. I'd say probably very likely it would happen, but there are no guarantees. I'd do it if it were me. And two kittens are good, they amuse one another and play together.

DavidC
09-11-2011, 05:29 PM
And two kittens are good, they amuse one another and play together.

That was definitely part of my thinking. ;)

Velvet
09-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Im no expert, we have 18 mth old male, 16 mth female & 5/6 mth old female. If i had it to do again i would definitely get two together as its harder on the new kid coming in. We are getting another girl next week - circumstances, she needed a home etc

What helped us each time was a Feliway diffuser - they recommend putting it in place two weeks before the kittens / cats arrive (if you have existing cats) & we found it really did work

Everyone thought when we got Zmindy the youngest that tim would accept her first, but it was Amber who was more accepting & taught her how to hunt & play

As DM says, i would get two together as well

Good luck & enjoy & dont forget to post lots of photos :)

Kazz
09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I would say two kittens similar age would be good together. I would do it if it were me, kittens want and need to play and in effect you are supplying that to each.

CatZmother85
13-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I think it should work out well. Sometimes a older female can become quiete mothering to new kittens however in other instances be aware she may react badly to the situation becoming aggresive or starting to defecate outside the tray etc Also both males would need to be neutered as soon as possible to prevent territorial behaviour which may cause kittenhood friends to become enemies . There are no guarantees but it is great for kittens to have a playmate and it can be very comforting in a new enviroment but make time for all your cats individually so they can bond with you as well as eachother

x-clo-x
23-12-2011, 11:05 AM
both of my cats were from different litters. i rescued both from different farms, where if i hadnt they would of been drowned.

theres a couple of months between them, but they are close in age.

i dont think they have a bond like litter sisters would, but they do sleep together by the fire, and ezzy follows myrtle everywhere.

it can work, mine get along fine with each other :-D

lisa01uk87
24-12-2011, 01:30 PM
i have to boys (moggy rescue's) same age, got them a month or so apart, different ends of the country and they get on great

first one i named trouble (it suited and still does suit him) so when i got the second one who had been waiting ages on his home i named him strife, had no problems with them at all