PDA

View Full Version : The Library

dandysmom
08-11-2011, 10:29 PM
The other day in the Daily I mentioned our library here; it occurred to me that you might like to see it. I think it's quite good for a small library, it's run by one of the tenant committees. On the left is the non-fiction by categories; the right is fiction.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1724.jpg

http://www.catsey.com/http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1722.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1722.jpg

pamela81
08-11-2011, 10:59 PM
looks impressive!!! lots of books to get through

alexgirl73
08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
A very pleasant little room :) Hope you've found some good reading material Eileen.

angieh
08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Yes, that looks like a lovely place to go and read and meet like-minded people.

dandysmom
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Do you know, Angie, I've never met anyone in there! But it's busy; it's on an honor system, you sign the books out and back in a big log book, and there are always lots of entries.

angieh
08-11-2011, 11:15 PM
That's rather odd Eileen ...... if loads of books go in and out but you never see anyone ..... sorry, getting carried away by the ET conspiracy theories! I'm sure ETs would enjoy reading :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Maybe one of the black holes where missing socks and vanishing cats go is in our library!! :shock: :mrgreen: Seriously, I stop early in the morning when I do downstairs for mail and grass. I suspect there's more activity later.

Velvet
09-11-2011, 02:31 AM
That's rather odd Eileen ...... if loads of books go in and out but you never see anyone ..... sorry, getting carried away by the ET conspiracy theories! I'm sure ETs would enjoy reading :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep - keep an eye on the neighbours......:lol: :lol:

Velvet
09-11-2011, 02:34 AM
It is very impressive Eileen

I got out of the habit of reading until i downloaded some books onto the iPad - it's like a Apple library & it's brilliant, can read it anywhere, anytime. Bit like a Kindle idea. :)

dandysmom
09-11-2011, 02:54 AM
It actually is the same reading experience as the Kindle, if I'm not mistaken. I love mine, as I've said before I'd have gone mad in hospital without it. Good to hear you're happy with your iPad + Amazon books. .:D

Oh, re your earlier post, most of the neighbors look perfectly normal, but now that you mention it ...... :roll:

Squirrel
09-11-2011, 08:30 AM
That's a lovely library.

When I was younger I used to want my own library in my house - all those books just for me!

Of course, right now, the reality is a little different, seeing I've 4 rooms, including kitchen and bathroom, so lounge and bedroom double up as book depositories, but...

angieh
09-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm being tempted by the idea of a Kindle or similar .... now that a friend of mine has one and has told me that you can alter the size of display ... a wonderful idea for those of us whose eyesight may be causing a few problems, just through ageing.

MrsH
09-11-2011, 01:52 PM
That looks a really good facility Eileen, who gets to choose which new books to get in and how are new purchases funded? Or are most of the books donated by residents?

Hubby always fancied having a library room like the one Professor Higgins has in the film of My Fair Lady, fat chance!

dandysmom
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
As far as I know, all the books are donations from the residents. There is a library committee but I'm unclear what it actually does. I've donated 3 paperbacks so far after I've finished them.

Sometimes buying a book from Amazon is actually cheaper than the Kindle copy. Say, the book I want is $7.99 on Kindle; I can get it used for1 cent + $3.99 shipping,so a $3.99 savings. Angie, it's true you can adjust the type size, I've never done it but the capability is there. A Kindle would be a nice C********s present .....

CathyW
11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
thats lovely. im a great reader. could read when i was 4 years old and i havnt stopped since. dont think id like to read on a kindle. the smell of a book shop. ink and new paper. just love the smell. (am i weird??) ive got piles of books around the house. at the moment im on the last of a trilogy a king arthur set. but not like u have seen on the TV more believable. by M.K.Hume
should finish that by the weekend then ill be back in the library getting more.
we have a book shop in town, where its all 2nd hand books. ppl have donated them. and u go n choose what u want take them away free. and donate any u have so a bit like your library Eileen but not as posh lol

Squirrel
11-11-2011, 08:54 AM
You're not weird for liking the smell of books, though I'll admit that I prefer old hard backs to new ones that way... Well, pretty well every way. There's just something about hard backed books! I've one friend who wouldn't get rid of what books she had and replace them on kindle, but she tells me space wise she'll simply continue to buy on there. Me... were I to have one, I'd be happy to say that - as long as we're not talking about my hard back books (or the ones I want to read in the bath, waterproof Kindle cover or no!!!). Nothing replaces those, and I shall continue to buy hard backed books as and when, so...

angieh
11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
No, boys mum - you're not weird, or at least if you are so am I - I've always loved old book shops and paper. There is a place not far from us that makes art papers and I am restraining myself from going there ........

I have the same thoughts about the Kindle - I just think that it would be very practical if I was going on holiday for instance and didn't want to take up luggage space and the thought of being able to alter the text size is becoming more and more attractive. I could never get rid of my books - whenever we have moved house it has been the bone of contention between me and my OH. "Get rid of some of those books!" - "NEVER!"!!!

dandysmom
11-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Angie, that was one of the hardest things I had to do when triaging for the downsize move. More than 45+ years worth of books plus what I'd brought from my former house, and utterly impossible to fit into a studio apartment.... :-(

paulinef2
11-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I have blackberry playbook and I have a couple of books on it.... but it's not the same as turning the pages etc I just can't get into it :)

dandysmom
11-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Pauline I noticed that at first but wasn't long before I got so wrapped up in the story that I forgot I wasn't actually physically turning pages, just pressing my thumb down.

calismum
13-11-2011, 12:03 AM
The library looks really good and a good idea to have. I too love the smell and feel of 'real' books - house is full of them. Over the summer I got a kindle and love it - as you say DM after a while you forget you're not physically turning the pages. I can live happily with both. Angie - it is really easy to increase font size. Also you can increase the line spacing.

dandysmom
13-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Perfectly put, CM ... I too live happily with both. :D