PDA

View Full Version : which is more cat proof?

sookie wookie
22-10-2011, 01:43 PM
:oops: Sorry I know it's early (Christmas thread) but...

my cats trashed my artificial tree last year! (see pic below :cry: ). which do you think would be more cat proof this year, another artificial tree, or a real one? My cats are also a year older so I'm hoping will be a bit better behaved! :shock: :lol:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/touie/DSC00807.jpg

juju1989
22-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Well I've never had a real tree but when the family cats were kittens they trashed our artificial tree by climbing up the middle of it and pulling all the baubals off. The next year we got a fiber optic tree which they left alone. Sorry that doesn't seem to answer your question!

Squirrel
22-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Cloud was very good with the tree at my parents last year. She hid underneath the branches, and maybe occasionally showed an interest in some of the lower hanging ornaments if they were moving about anyway, but beyond that she simply ignored it...

dandysmom
22-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't like artificial trees so am too biased to comment .......

Elaine
22-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Most cat proof would be NO tree:lol:

sookie wookie
22-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I wish my cats would just ignore it! Anything new in the house is a new cat toy! :lol:

Squirrel
22-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I think the question is whether or not you can handle having to hoover up extra pine needles as they get knocked down or not...

MrsH
23-10-2011, 10:37 AM
We've never had any trouble with Christmas trees and cats (40+ years now) the dog is a different matter however :roll:

We always have a real tree, quite a large one, they tend to be pretty dense now as they're plantation grown and carefully pruned to produce lots of branches. If you buy one of the sort that has a more open framework of branches then there's a real possibility of cats climbing up inside I'm afraid. You need a really dense tree so that when the cats looks up into it they reckon they're not going to be able to get in there!

Don't hang any dangly bits on the lowest branches otherwise the cats will definitely sit there batting and playing with them otherwise a heavily decorated tree is best, if they can't see any spaces they are not so likely to try to get in there.

Or perhaps we've just been exceptionally lucky ;)

truthisouthere
23-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Any tree... without baubles ...would seem to be 'cat proof'!

As MrsH says it makes sense that whatever tree you get to not have baubles or anything tempting on the lower branches.

Velvet
23-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Kind we have - nnne. :). We decorate the house but trees are a thing of the past :)

paulinef2
23-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I have an artificial tree but tiger tended to leave it alone apart from stalking the robin lol, I feel lester would be a whole different ball game though :D :D

Twocats
24-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I have only ever had artificial trees, beau doesnt really bother with the tree, but nutmeg will try to get the balls off, and once ran up the middle of the tree but that's it.