PDA

View Full Version : insanely overpriced grey kittens

Luke
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Browsing some of these for sale sites, purely for my own nosiness not adding anyone new just yet!, and some of the prices of grey kittens..200 quid for a grey moggy kitten. Anyone care to enlighten me on why they seem so highly priced as opposed to other colours? Very strange!

Velvet
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Saw an advert for - " Very rare & unusual White kittens" - £50 each

Think kittens are following trend for designer crossbreed dogs :(

Squirrel
06-10-2011, 07:16 PM
How bizarre... Has there been a run on grey cats?

angieh
06-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I guess if you have a kitten to find a home for, upping its saleability is an idea .................... ?

Very sad really.

truthisouthere
06-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Grey cats are more highly valued than many other colours for a couple of reasons. Most grey cats people tend to assume are thoroughbred, and nearly all 100% grey cats have close thoroughbred ancestry eg. Russian Blue, British Blue, Burmese, or some Blue variation cross breed. Mitzi had a blue thoroughbred and mixed parentage and she was the only one of the farmer's kittens that was given any value in the end. She looked very much like a Russian Blue in her day.

As you say too Angieh putting a price on a cat like that could be done to attract the people who are more genuine, or the people who have the money and commitment, it wouldn't appeal to those who 'just want a kitten' for the sake of it without the careful thought that goes into it..?

Velvet
06-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I'll be looking at my blue/grey tabby with new eyes!

Actually was looking at her earlier in Daylight with sun glinting off her coat and thought what a beautiful colour she was:)