PDA

View Full Version : Moving Cat Multiple Times

paperball4
27-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi everybody.

This may be a long post. Hopefully it will be coherent. I have a pet tabby, her name is etre, and she's about 3 years old. She is a rescue cat--someone left her and her siblings in the woods and a friend of mine found them. I knew from the moment I met her that we were meant to be and we bonded immediately. She feels like a child to me in a lot of ways, which may be part of my problem. As a college student, I moved quite a bit to different apartments and one semester I studied abroad. I feel horrible about this, but I had to move her back and forth between my parents house and the apartments I'd been living in and I know it didn't fair well on her. I think my semester abroad really took a toll on her (I know it did on me, us being apart that long), but everything was fine once I got back and she adjusted to her new surroundings.

Currently, I've moved to New York and she is living at my parents house again until we can relocate her here. I'm starting to fret about moving her again--so much so that it keeps me up at night. I'm worried she won't adjust well, or that I'll be moving again in another year, and that all this moving will be very unhealthy for her in the end. I'm also worried about how much time I've spent away from her. I fear that she thinks I'm abandoning her, and that she's deeply upset with me, or that she's reminded of being separated from her real mother and being left in the woods.

Sometimes I feel like the best thing for her would be to stay at my parents house, but I can't bear the thought of living without her. We are very deeply connected, and I feel like it would be very hard on the both of us. I don't know what to do. It may seem I'm looking too far into this, but I take her very seriously and want to make sure she has the best life possible. I'm writing this in hopes that someone out there has advice, similar experiences, or consoling words. Thank you for reading.

angieh
27-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi there! Can you let me know whether your cat exhibits signs of stress - I would think any cat would initially after a move, but does your cat's stress seem to you to be above a "normal" level?

You are clearly keen to act in your cat's best interest - I just wondered how your cat has reacted to change in the past.

paperball4
27-09-2011, 03:26 PM
She is very adaptive overall, but I know it is very stressful for her. She is typically angry with me when I first return, and after moving her, it usually takes her a few hours to come out from hiding under a bed/couch. Typically, she deals just fine, and is very curious about and comfortable with each space, but I just worry that all this moving over time will be too much for her. That she will have had to adjust too many times.

dandysmom
27-09-2011, 03:36 PM
From what you've said it seems she's adapting quite well, Cats do like routine, but your presence is a reassurance to her (except at the parents). Cats live in the present, I really doubt she's thinking about her mum and the woods. The next time you move, why not get a Feliway dispenser: emits soothing cat pheromones; many people swear by it. Try not to worry too much, it's obvious you love her very much, and she knows that. :D

paperball4
27-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Thank you Dandy, your post makes me feel better. I will definitely look into Feliway.

angieh
27-09-2011, 05:15 PM
From your description, your cat adapts much quicker than normal, so I wouldn't worry - I'd take her with you as you obviously love each other so well.

In past years with previous cats I have been treated to the cold shoulder for a day or so if I've gone on holiday and left them, even with someone they know coming in x2 a day to take care of them!

truthisouthere
27-09-2011, 06:05 PM
She is young and otherwise healthy by the sounds of it, which should make it easier for her to adapt; enjoy each other, spend time with her, definitely use feliway plug in each time you move, and if you keep moving obviously when she is 9/10 or over it wouldn't be fair and perhaps then would be the time to really consider consistency and moving her in to be with your parents, but cross that bridge when you come to it..But for now, try not to worry too much. Each cat is different, I expect she will tell you if she isn't happy about any particular move if the need might arise at any time in the future. What matters is that she is healthy and with an owner who loves her and would spot any distress IF she showed you..Sorry I can't be any more helpful then that at the mo.

paperball4
28-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Thank you all. You're all so supportive I really appreciate it.