PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

juju1989
18-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I hope I am posting this in the right place! Sorry if I haven't.

Well as some of you might know I brought Stevie to live with us yesterday.

Now I need to find insurance! As I found out rather expensively with my other cat!

However, Stevie has a sunken eye. I'm not sure if insurance companies will cover us as this maybe seen as a pre-existing condition. Vets have said there is no concern with the eye at all and the only reason to remove it would be for cosmetic reasons.

Can anyone give me pointers as to where/if I can get insurance for Stevie?

dandysmom
18-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I can't comment on insurers as I'm in the States and have mine here. This is a recent thread on the subject you might find helpful:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=39843&highlight=pet+insurance

juju1989
18-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Yea I had already read that thanks :D but, not much on there about insuring cats with pre-existing conditions

dandysmom
18-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Hopefully some of the members with experience will be along soon...... :D

juju1989
18-09-2011, 08:31 PM
:D thanks for your help tho

Velvet
18-09-2011, 08:35 PM
The best thing to do is phone few of them & ask for a quote, have a chat with them, it won't affect what you pay just maybe an exclusion for that eye

I have an exclusion with Katie one of the dogs - anything to do with her urinary tract/renal etc. She's insured for everything else tho....

Our cats are with Petplan - works out about £9 each per month for the " for life" policy

angieh
18-09-2011, 10:46 PM
It seems from experience I have had with my little dog, that insurance companies won't insure for a pre-existing condition, or they give an exclusion as Velvet said, which may be time limited or not. When we first took our puppy to the vet, he thought he heard a heart murmur which, thankfully was not heard again at his next check or subsequently. However, there is a year's exclusion on Monty's policy. I will need to check carefully that they remove that at renewal as they said they would.

juju1989
19-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Oh right ok :) thanks everyone. My vets do a club that you can join and the benefits are:
Annual full health examination by one of our Veterinary Surgeons to include dental examination and annual vaccination, all worm, flea and parasite treatment for a full twelve months (excluding household spray).
Annual review of additional vaccinations necessary for boarding or travel and insurance requirements. Annual review of insurance policy if required.
Six monthly check up with veterinary nurse (six months after full health examination) to include weight check, nutrition and behaviour advice. Anal gland expression and nail clipping if required.
Two checkups a year ensure that health problems can be diagnosed and dealt with early, preventing your pet suffering and saving you money.

Dogs and cats over the age of 8 receive an annual urinalysis check and cats over the age of 8 will have their blood pressure monitored annually.

We also plan your parasite prevention programme so that you don't have to worry about what to use and when.

Joining our Pet Health Club enables your pet to receive all the above benefits at a 15% discount overall off our normal prices and you benefit by spreading the total cost with twelve affordable monthly payments.

Wa do people think of this?

Sorry if I'm getting on people's nerves

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Of course you're not getting on anyone's nerves! This is a cat lovers group and we all ask questions and are glad to share what we know!! :D

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'd probably still check around and do a bit of comparison shopping.

juju1989
19-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I was thinking of joining that service with the vets :) there are a few vets around here that are for people on a 'budget' but, talking to people who have been there they say they end up paying just as much in the long term for their pets treatment than if they had gone to Summerhill.
Will ring around tomorrow about pet insurance even if I can get him insured and join the vets club as well which if (heaven forbid and fingers crossed it doesn't) his eye did cause trouble and we did have to have treatment it would be discounted.

Glad I'm not getting on anyone's nerves :D everyone is really friendly!

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Ask away! The only way we learn, right?

I just submitted a claim for Leia's visit; it was over $300.00, (exam, shots, blood drawing); I have to pay then get reimbursed by my insuror; haven't been yet, but a 15% reduction would have been nice. This is the first claim I've submitted, so don't know if they're slow or not.....

juju1989
19-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Yea I can imagine it would be!! Going to ring around insurers tomorrow but, my vets recommend Pet Plan so that coupled with the vets I hope will be sufficient!

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Even if you rarely need to use it the insurance is well worth the fee for the peace of mind. IMO. One of our members whose cat had many problems spent thousands on her, bless her.

juju1989
19-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Aww bless I spent £200 the 1st time I took Geri to the vets. Very expensive ill but, well worth it!

juju1989
20-09-2011, 07:39 PM
He's insured!! Eye as well! :D £8.89 a month with more than! Such a relief didn't realize how worried about it I was until I got him insured!

dandysmom
20-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Good news! :D

juju1989
20-09-2011, 07:56 PM
It is!! :D

Mags
20-09-2011, 09:35 PM
That's great news! :)

juju1989
20-09-2011, 10:08 PM
:D I explained that the eye was causing no health problems and the only reason to remove would be for cosmetic reasons she said this would be fine and not seen an a pre-existing condition! So my little fella is all insured thank god!!

Velvet
21-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Brilliant news xx

juju1989
21-09-2011, 09:49 AM
:) it is!!

angieh
21-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Good news - let's hope you never have to use it, but it does give huge reassurance to have in place.

juju1989
21-09-2011, 01:13 PM
It does give massive reassurance!! He's an indoor cat so hopefully no need to use it!! Lifetime cover they've given £7000 for the treatment of the illness! £50 excess and 10% of the cost of the treatment! Does anyone know if this is good?

JMPARK
05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi! Ime With "more Than" Pet Insurance And They Are Only £7.50 ,per Kitten Per Month, With Full Life And A 24/7 Vet Line! IT ALSO GIVES UPTO £7000 FEES WITH JUST A ONE OFF EXCESS OF 10% COST PER ILLNESS. SO IF THE ILLNESS IS A CONTINUAL ONE YOU ONLY PAY THAT ONE OFF FEE!
I Think Thats Good Value.it Will Not Include Any Problems That Have Occured Before The Insurance Is Take Out Or That Arise In The First Two Weeks.
Ime Alsow In The Vets "pet Club" Which Include All Their Vaccinations And Being Chipped Plus 3 Consultations And Numerous Discounts Off Food Etc.that Cost £9.99 Per Cat Per Year. I Hope This Helps!

juju1989
06-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks JMPark was unsure of taking the vets "Pets Club" as Stevie is an indoor cat I'm still in two minds about it!
Will definately get it for my sister's (was mine) dog.

dandysmom
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I just got my reimbursement for Leia's visit and shot/blood work. They pay 80% of approved amount (as does my "people insurance" Medicare!) less my $100.00 deductable.,(again like my Medicare). So, generally quite pleased how easy it was to file and that payment was fairly prompt.

JMPARK
07-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks JMPark was unsure of taking the vets "Pets Club" as Stevie is an indoor cat I'm still in two minds about it!
Will definately get it for my sister's (was mine) dog.
with the pets club you also get full worming and flea jabs for the year.
the insurance is an initial £50 excess and 10% of bill PER ILLNESS!! so you only pay the once, even if , god forbid, the illness is a long one!
i think both these plans are really good.

juju1989
07-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I also get his booster for his jabs which I think is worth doing it just for that! x