PDA

View Full Version : New boy has arrived.

farthing
09-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Buttons the 16 year old lad is home. I do feel awful separating him from his companion but they don't seem terribly close and it looks like the 6 year old, Scooby,was eating most of the food- he's a BIG lad, but has a lovely nature. Grey and white with a little white tip to the end of his tail.

Buttons is pure white and looking at him he has a hyperthyroid face- it certainly looks like my hyper ones look like. He's not very thin but a lot thinner than Scooby but that may be because Scooby was eating most of it.
Realistically it was going to be very hard to rehome 2 cats when one was 16 with a possible medical condition- PDSA reported he had heart problems but no real tests have been done to confirm this- so it may be thyroid related, or he just had a funny turn, at the moment he is on no medication.
I'll get him booked in on Mon/Tues for tests and then he can get what meds he needs.
I'll let you know how we get on.

Velvet
09-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Poor wee man, doesn't sound to have had it easy for a while
It's good that he has come to you to get sorted out

Miranda Luck
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Lucky Buttons! Has he come from a rescue?
Good luck with the blood tests. Fingers crossed for you both.

farthing
10-09-2011, 05:33 PM
No, we are an animal sanctuary that takes in animals like Buttons. I was contacted by his owner's family as she is in hospital and she will not be going home after but to stay with her daughter. Along with another sanctuary we hoped to rehome both Buttons and her other cat, Scooby who is 6. Buttons however has some health problems and we realise it will be hard to rehome such a cat, and it would reduce Scooby's chances of finding a new home. So we have taken Buttons and the other sanctuary are going to blood test Scooby for FIV/Felv and vaccinate him and then look for a good home Meanwhile we keep Buttons, do bloods for FIV/Felv, blood profile to look at mainly liver and kidneys and send off a hyperthyroid test- then vaccinate.:D

Miranda Luck
10-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Oh I see! What is the name of your sanctuary?

farthing
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
It Halfpenny Farm Animal Sanctuary- scottish charity number- sc041616. We have just finished our first year as a registered charity although we have been running as one of a good few years now.:)

Shelley123
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Hope Buttons settles well with you and his tests are good.

dandysmom
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Poor old fellow, he's in the right place now, farthing!

angieh
12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Good luck for Buttons tests - bless you farthing!