PDA

View Full Version : Teaching 'tricks'

Hevvur
23-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this sorry....but has anyone taught their cat any 'tricks'?

We taught the kittens 'sit' this afternoon!
A friend asked me how and why.......I said why not?! They have a brain so can use it, and they should have manners too! (sitting for a treat etc)

angieh
23-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Lovely! A member here was advocating clicker training for cats a while ago - I bought the clicker but have not got around to trying to teach my two to do anything as have been taken up trying to train my puppy instead!

dandysmom
23-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm not particularly fond of teaching cats tricks. That's a dog thing IMO.

Hevvur
23-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm not particularly fond of teaching cats tricks. That's a dog thing IMO.

Do you mind me asking why?

dandysmom
23-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Of course I don't mind! :D Cats are independent animals, asking them to do something not in their nature just to please us strikes me as a mild affront. Dogs are pack animals, we are the alpha dogs so to speak, and they want to please us, and don't seem to mind acting foolish, actually they seem pleased ! I'm sure this is a minority opinion; I've never asked any of my cats to do tricks. It's not cat! TMI? :mrgreen:

Hevvur
23-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Of course I don't mind! :D Cats are independent animals, asking them to do something not in their nature just to please us strikes me as a mild affront. Dogs are pack animals, we are the alpha dogs so to speak, and they want to please us, and don't seem to mind acting foolish, actually they seem pleased ! I'm sure this is a minority opinion; I've never asked any of my cats to do tricks. It's not cat! TMI? :mrgreen:

Ahh, ok, fair enough! :)

I don't believe in the 'alpha dog' thing, i'm certainly not alpha dog, im a human, not part of a 'pack' at all (but thats another convo!)!

It's not just tricks to please me...certain things come in useful - asking for a paw if an animal has hurt a leg and it needs checking, for example :)

People do it with all dofferent animals, from elephants to hamsters (Yes, people clicker train hamsters!), so I don't see why it's different for cats :D

pinklizzy
23-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I used a clicker to train Imogen to 'touch' with her nose-toys, my hand etc.

cats' staff
23-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Um, I think I've been trained by the cats!

We have Tolly sort of trained to come to a whistle but it's not 100%. They all respond to the rattle of a Dreamies pack. That's as far as it's gone because we like to be able to get them home easily

I have cats because I like their contrary and independent natures. Dogs have to be trained as a poorly trained dog can be dangerous. I don't really think I'd like to train a cat to do tricks as, to me, it would undermine their 'catness' if that makes sense?

dandysmom
23-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Um, I think I've been trained by the cats!

We have Tolly sort of trained to come to a whistle but it's not 100%. They all respond to the rattle of a Dreamies pack. That's as far as it's gone because we like to be able to get them home easily

I have cats because I like their contrary and independent natures. Dogs have to be trained as a poorly trained dog can be dangerous. I don't really think I'd like to train
a cat to do tricks as, to me, it would undermine their 'catness' if that makes sense?

CS, that's exactly what I was trying to say less eloquently! Thank you! :D

Tanya
23-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I didn't really teach Oli but when we say 'kisses' he puts his head down and waits until we kiss him. :)

angieh
24-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Like CS, I use Dreamies and "trained" Pip from a young age to come to the shaking of the packet, which wasn't at all hard to do! If he's in hearing distance he still comes running in.

I can certainly see the sense in training an animal to stand still while being examined either by you or the vet - very helpful and I know that some animals in zoos are trained to do this too.

Andrewd
24-08-2011, 11:41 AM
My cats do not listen to me :p they tell me what to do!