PDA

View Full Version : How many is too many?

Velvet
16-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Cats that is.

I was told today that I had too many cats by my younger brother, when I replied that they themselves had had 3 cats at one stage together, he replied "Yes but we didn't have two dogs at the same time":shock:

I feel quite indignant about this.

What makes people think they have the right to be so pass remarkable. Most of my pet owning friends have more animals than me!

I know I shouldn't let it annoy me, but it has

I was so relieved when a wasp came in through the cat flap and he jumped up saying he couldn't stand wasps and had to go home!

Squirrel
16-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I think that 'too many' is highly subjective. I wouldn't have more than 2 right now, but that's because they would have to be house cats, and this place is on the small side. I also live alone and think that makes a difference.

If you are happy with the number of animals you have, and have the space (and finances), and they all live together as a family, no one else has any right to comment (beyond a landlord!!!)

*hugs*

pamela81
16-08-2011, 08:50 AM
i think its up to the owner to decide. As long as they have enough space to play or relax aswell as getting ample attention and care then however many you have shouldnt be too much of an issue .

angieh
16-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Trouble is that little brothers just say what they think (or so I'm told). Family members can blurt stuff out and be totally inconsiderate and irrational too.

I've always had an ideal in my mind - two cats and one dog but where that idea comes from I have no idea. And I keep hankering after another cat ..............

Whatever YOU are happy with and can cope with is the best.

paulinef2
16-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to repeat what I'd have said to him if I'd been in your place! Tell him to mind his own beeswax!

dandysmom
16-08-2011, 03:38 PM
As long as you have space enough, are able to give all of them the love and attention they need, and financially able to handle the costs of food, meds, vets and insurance, it''s no one's damn business!!! What an infuriating comment, family or not. Bah!

Elaine
16-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Personally I agree with all of the above statements, it's not like you are a hoareder of anything, your not letting them all breed, all are well catered for and cared for.

Moli
16-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Goodness knows what your brother would think of me then, 3 dogs and 4 cats!!!

babycakes
17-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I also agree that it is entireley up to the individual. My friends house is like a zoo filled with 6 cats, 2 dogs, 3 snakes, 3 lizards, tortoises and god only knows what else. I have one cat cos he is feral and a house cat but I have had 4 at one stage and would love to own a house in Greece with cats dogs, goats, chickens and whatever else I decided to keep :lol:

Velvet
18-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks folks. I am biding my time but will definitely be saying something to him in a nice way, but he will get the message :)

Meeze
20-08-2011, 09:53 PM
I used to have FIVE cats and I live alone. Sadly, nature took its course over time and I now have THREE. When my friends/workmates etc chat about pets, they never blink an eye when I mention my three so it seems that this is quite a normal number of pets which many people can cope with reasonably well. As Squirrel says, it is highly subjective, what you consider to be too many.

Don't worry about your little bro's comments. For all we know, he might be jealous. :p

dandysmom
20-08-2011, 09:59 PM
The most I ever had at one time was 3, that seems like an ideal number to me. But Leia is determined to be an only cat now that she's outlasted her two companions ........ :roll:

Kim
21-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I have 3 cats and 3 large dogs! All get on fine and are well looked after and cared for. Up to you I say, non of his business really.

xx-snowball-xx
25-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Oh don't get me started. As long as YOU are happy with the pets you have, that's all that matters :)

I get it all the time from my mum.
As long as my pets are looked after and receive vet treatment, I don't see that it matters how many I have. (I only have 2 rabbits and a kitten, but apparently that's too many lol)

pinklizzy
26-08-2011, 09:14 AM
As long as your cats are happy with how many you have ;) and you have the space, time and resources to care for them, it's no one else's business!

Velvet
26-08-2011, 09:26 AM
As long as your cats are happy with how many you have ;) and you have the space, time and resources to care for them, it's no one else's business!

Well if i didnt work from home now it would be different, have best of bothh worlds now really - the animals & being my own boss :)

truthisouthere
28-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I have had 7 cats at any one time, 4 of my own and 3 foster kitts in a 2 bed semi with access to outside, lovely neighbours and fields to play in. :) But they were mostly perfectly chilled out and fine and happy except for Katie who chose to live with a neighbour. I now work from home and the 4 have dwindled to 2.

No one has the right to say how many is 'too many', sometimes it's the people whose coping skills with animals isn't all that, shall we say 'patient' or experienced who disagee on that one! I agree with the general consensus on this thread which is that as long as the animal has all their needs, wants, and desires catered for and are kept in good health, it really does NOT matter. You are giving that cat a happy home. :)