PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, Dylan's back to hunting

Phoenix
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Yesterday I noticed Dylan was in the greenhouse having a look round, I thought he was just having a nosy at the plants but today when I went and watered the plants again I found a frog/toad in the greenhouse :shock: Alive, well and hopping around doing frog/toad things :shock:

There's not a pond or river close enough to us for the frog/toad to have travelled, so Dylan must have brought it :shock:

Do I try catching it or do I leave the greenhouse open for the frog/toad to have a chance at escaping?

Not sure whether it's a frog or a toad ............

Edit: went out to get a picture of him/her for identification purposes and I couldn't find him think he scrammed just after I'd watered the plants.

Elaine
02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Frogs/toads dont live in ponds, they live on dry land, under rocks and such. They only go to ponds to lay their eggs.

Leave him be.

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/pond/pond_faq2.htm

angieh
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Good advise Elaine. Leave the greenhouse door open RCR.

Phoenix
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I think he/she's gone from the greenhouse, went out to feed the birds (food's in the greenhouse too) and there was no sign of Mr or Mrs Frog/Toad.

Dylan went out after him/her again.

Velvet
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I keep finding "presents" outside back door & in garden curtesy of a neighbours cat ! Usually headless voles outside the back door or birds, up garden dead mice!!!

dandysmom
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I suspect Mr Frog/Toad has left. I presume it's warm and humid in the greenhouse, they like that; he possibly could have come in by himself and poor Dylan is getting blamed!

Elaine
02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I suspect Mr Frog/Toad has left. I presume it's warm and humid in the greenhouse, they like that; he possibly could have come in by himself and poor Dylan is getting blamed!

I suspect you are right Eileen.

dandysmom
02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
In case he reappears, here's now to tell which he is:

http://www.uksafari.com/amphibians3.htm

Phoenix
02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
He was a small green hoppy thing that's all I saw. Dylan has always been a hunter so that's why I thought it was him.

Velvet
03-08-2011, 03:04 AM
My mum used to always get them in her greenhouse when she lived in town, she used to just leave the door ajar