PDA

View Full Version : Bathed Dylan today

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 02:49 PM
He's now wandering round looking like a hedgehog having a bad hair day. (No photos unfortunately because the camera cable's missing - can upload the photo I've got once the camera cable turns up)

I've run a comb through him but he refuses to be dried with a towel :roll: he keeps running off when I bring a towel near him :roll:

Anyone else bath their cats and get this behaviour? (I bath Dylan because it's the only way to get him to properly wash himself)

Edit: Dylan's nearly de-spiked his fur :lol: He's decided he's tired so he's gone to sleep next to me.

dandysmom
25-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I bathed, or helped bathe my childhood cat once ....... the scars have faded. No, RCR, I would rather have a root canal than attempt to bathe a large strong cat! No way!

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I bathed, or helped bathe my childhood cat once ....... the scars have faded. No, RCR, I would rather have a root canal than attempt to bathe a large strong cat! No way!

Not even Dylan when All he'll do is sing in the bath and splash water at you? :lol: Needless to say the worst you get when bathing Dylan is wet :lol: No bites, scratches or anything else like that :D

HappyKatz
25-07-2011, 04:53 PM
The adventures of bathing a cat! Have had several of those :)
All of which have them looking like hedgehogs afterwards lol
We warm up the towel in the dryer before covering our kitties, they seem to like it :-D

I bet Dylan had a nice nap after his bath though :cat27

lynz85
25-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I've only had to bathe a cat once, and that was when pip was a kitten and jumped in the toilet! I shan't be in a hurry to repeat it!

paulinef2
25-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I had to bath tiger twice, he was ok although not a happy bunny. he's a gentle boy mostly :)

Elaine
29-07-2011, 10:14 PM
How often do you bathe him?

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I usually bath him about once a month at least :) (like a dog he likes rolling around in stinky stuff) :roll:

Moli
29-07-2011, 10:31 PM
In the 30 years of owning cats, I have never bathed a cat........

Mags
29-07-2011, 10:41 PM
In the 30 years of owning cats, I have never bathed a cat........
I've never bathed Cassie or Sam before her - if Cassie came in with dirty white legs I would just wipe them down with a damp towel.

I understood that bathing an animal too much would dry their skin too much and the oil in their coat:?

Moli
29-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Yes Mags, you are right there!

dandysmom
29-07-2011, 10:43 PM
As I've frequently mentioned, did it once in my teens with my Mom. Never again! Scamper was a gentle cat but he climbed over us both with claws fully extended in his determination to get out! Mom was a retired RN. she bathed and treated our wounds. Scars eventually faded ......:roll:

lynz85
29-07-2011, 10:47 PM
yeah i was just thinking that, i knew you shouldn't bathe dogs that often as it damages the oils but just wondering if it was the same for cats aswell.

you know, i've seen pet cleaning wipes in my mums!! almost like baby wipes she wipes her dog with them!

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Mags what's the best way to get strong smells from a cat's coat without bathing then? Like I said Dylan rolls in stinky stuff and comes in gassing the house out with it :?

Mags
29-07-2011, 10:50 PM
yeah i was just thinking that, i knew you shouldn't bathe dogs that often as it damages the oils but just wondering if it was the same for cats aswell.

you know, i've seen pet cleaning wipes in my mums!! almost like baby wipes she wipes her dog with them!
I've used the pet wipes before ..... for cats. I wouldn't say they removed all the dirt but certainly most of it, then Cassie finishes it off and her feet are sparkling white again!:D

Mags
29-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Mags what's the best way to get strong smells from a cat's coat without bathing then? Like I said Dylan rolls in stinky stuff and comes in gassing the house out with it :?
What do you mean by stinky stuff? Do you know where he's getting it from? Usually a wipe down with a damp cloth will get rid of the smell...

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Stinky stuff as in random things he rolls in and comes in smelling of anything he's found. Trouble is he thinks he's a dog. Apart from outside that's all I could say for definite

Mags
29-07-2011, 10:57 PM
What do you use to bath him?

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Cat shampoo and water, tiny bit of the shampoo and warm water (Dylan likes it but then refuses to let me dry him with the towel :?)

Elaine
29-07-2011, 11:02 PM
random stinkey stuff? what like dog crap? fish guts? what?

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Some of it's dog poop, some of it's dog pee, some of it's anything he finds leaking out of a bin, I have known him to come in with some form of cooking oil on his fur. He will roll in literally anything he can find.

Elaine
29-07-2011, 11:15 PM
I think he does it to stop you from poking and badgering him so much, I know I would.;)

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't want to make the same mistakes I have in the past.

Elaine
29-07-2011, 11:28 PM
There is a difference between being aware of when there are issues with you cat and simply looking for them.

Velvet
29-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Re pet wipes - baby wipes ( the sensitive kind] do the same thing and probably a lot cheaper :)

Pickalilly
09-06-2012, 02:38 PM
I bathe my little guy once every few months. He goes crazy and is terrified of the hair dryer and runs away from me, so I have to leave towels around the room!!

Tybalt the Cat
22-07-2012, 03:58 AM
I bath both my cats, always have, if I don't bath my burmese he over grooms and gets bald patches :roll: Maybe this vid will help, maybe not, but this is my tabby and white having a bath.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_iEe-p6Yw&feature=g-upl
After I hug him in a towel for as long as he'll let me, which isn't long!!!

Elaine
22-07-2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.lovingyourpet.co.uk/cats/giving-your-cat-a-bath.php