PDA

View Full Version : The laptop is sooo sloooow

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Recently this laptop has been slower than the proverbial snail. OH says it's because it's old (4 years old) and it can't keep up with all the technology that's coming out.

We are planning to replace it when we can, we are thinking of the ipad or the ipad 2. Has anyone had any experiences with either of those and are they any good?

Kim
25-07-2011, 07:32 PM
My wonderful daughter bought me an iPad 2 just over a week ago and I absolutely love it! It is the same price as the iPad so point in getting the original. However, the ipad is not a substitute for a desktop or laptop. It does not have a USB port or a CD drive and it has the same usage as an iPod, i.e. You have to plug it into a computer to update or back up. A great addition to a PC but never intended as a substitute.

paulinef2
31-07-2011, 11:46 AM
The ipad does not support flash either so you would not get such a rich online experience. Great for out and about but not as your main online option.

Mags
31-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I have an iPad and it's useful but it would never be a substitute for a computer...

Velvet
31-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Are you sure you haven't a virus? They can slow you down a lot

why dont you get someone to reformat your drive - it will be like having a new pc/laptop at a fraction of the cost?

dandysmom
31-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Also, have you cleaned out your cookies, cache and browsing history? That can slow the computer down.

Phoenix
31-07-2011, 06:30 PM
OH looked and he says the only reason it's slow is due to age.

lynz85
31-07-2011, 07:44 PM
my brother gave me his laptop when he upgraded, and it was much faster than the one i had!! im pretty sure it must be 5 years or maybe more, it did start to get slower and virus's were getting a pain, so i re-booted it back to its original factory settings, and its as good as new!! well almost theres a loose wire connecting the screen but im sure it can be easily fixed :)

Septimus79
03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi 4 years old isn't that old, over the years you probably built up a long list of programs that start up when your computer starts, slowing it down.

If you go to the start menu and type msconfig into the Text box, you can turn off many programs on the start up Tab.

Also a memory upgrade will probably be very effective and fairly cheap and easy to do.

Kirsty88
26-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Or if you just back up everything and reformat hard drive it would work like new, as said 4 yr old isnt old at all. :)