PDA

View Full Version : Kitten cries/mews

Velvet
23-07-2011, 01:06 PM
All kittens mew or miaow right?

Has anyone heard a kitten that does neither but when "crying" makes a very soft noise that sounds something like not very long born baby birds in the nest? This is what Mindy does

tutiwillow
23-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Is she doing this when she is excited or looking at something? as some cats/kittens make a strange noise when they are excited by something, or is she doing it just out of the blue? and also how old is she please? xx

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 03:12 PM
My Singapura boy had a very strange mew even in kittenhood; he sounded rusty, as if he needed oiling.

Has your kitten always done this or is it something new?

angieh
23-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I wonder if it's a feral kitten thing - if you live wild, making any noise is likely to prove dangerous, so perhaps feral kits peep like birds rather than mewing.

Velvet
23-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Is she doing this when she is excited or looking at something? as some cats/kittens make a strange noise when they are excited by something, or is she doing it just out of the blue? and also how old is she please? xx

Nope shes always did it

Age is debatable, rescue vet said 11/12 weeks. I would say shesabout 7/8 weeks now :)

I know that chirping noise, Timmy & Amber both do it, Tim more so :)

Velvet
23-07-2011, 06:15 PM
My Singapura boy had a very strange mew even in kittenhood; he sounded rusty, as if he needed oiling.

Has your kitten always done this or is it something new?

Thats more like it Eileen. Its almost like a petulent " i want attention" noise

Velvet
23-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I wonder if it's a feral kitten thing - if you live wild, making any noise is likely to prove dangerous, so perhaps feral kits peep like birds rather than mewing.

Thats an interesting theory Angie, you could be right.

Phoenix
23-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Nope shes always did it

Age is debatable, rescue vet said 11/12 weeks. I would say shesabout 7/8 weeks now :)

I know that chirping noise, Timmy & Amber both do it, Tim more so :)

I wonder why the vet said she's about 11/12 weeks if you think she's 7/8 weeks?

Velvet
23-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I wonder why the vet said she's about 11/12 weeks if you think she's 7/8 weeks?

Think he based her age on the kitten trapped with her, he was twice her size & thought to be her brother, but who knows when theyre feral

Shes coming on in leaps & bounds no matter her age & just adorable. She & Amber play together :) Tim is still huffing a bit :)