PDA

View Full Version : Shall we resurrect our Bookclub?

angieh
22-07-2011, 12:00 PM
We were chatting last night at the Quiz and some new members expressed an interest in the Bookclub. I know we tried this before and it sort of petered out, but perhaps it is time to revisit it?

If you are interested, perhaps you could put your hand up and also give an idea of the types of genre you like to read?

Phoenix
22-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm willing to try reading any book, I tend to prefer factual books nowadays, mostly about animals, UFOs, ghosts, gemstones/crystals, stuff like that.

Currently OH and I have so many books we need to have a clear out before we even borrow books from anyone.

Kazz
22-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I am interested and will read almost anything apart from Catherine Cookson sort of books.
Oddly enough I have started a bookswop thing with 4 friends form work.

pinklizzy
22-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Oooh, I could join in with the Kindle I got for my birthday! :mrgreen:

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I'd definitely like to restart it; my genre is fiction: thrillers, psychological suspense, sci-fi, historical, some fantasy; I'll generally read anything if it's fiction.

angieh
22-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I would also go for fiction. I think it may be hard for a bookclub to discuss the merits of a factual book. Fiction, I like crime, sci-fi, thrillers, suspense and anything a bit peculiar (!!!) but not horror or Barbara Cartland-type novels.

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Yes, I'm not into horror, romance novels or vampire fiction .....

pamela81
22-07-2011, 09:21 PM
im definately up for it!!!! My type of books are Stephen King, the book im reading just now about a boy with autism who is befriended by a stray cat, i also like books like Baby X and stories like that. The colour puple os also a favourite book of mine.

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Has anyone read all the books in George R. R. Martin's Ice and Fire Series? The new one is out ............ if I'm not mistaken, wasn't this on TV there lately?

angieh
22-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Spooky, Eileen - I am reading the first in the series A Game of Thrones, having watched the TV series. Have to say the series was spot on so far.

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 11:32 PM
It's a really gripping series IMO, the world is so well imagined and the characters are real people that you sort of get to care for or detest; not all black and white but shades of grey just as in life .... this is such a well written work! But a long read, all the volumes. I haven't ordered the last one yet; I want to see what;s going to happen but I also don't want it to be ended, either. I suppose this islike the Harry Potter fans .....

pamela81
23-07-2011, 10:59 AM
after commenting on the book club post last night, i have ordered myself 2 books from amazon!!! I have ordered the color purple to read it again as i last read it in high school and also a book called Iam David which i believe there was a movie based on it. I started reading teh book but never got to finish it so had a wee look for it last night and found it. Goingt o be a very busy reading time for me!!!

angieh
23-07-2011, 02:13 PM
If we are to restart out Bookclub, I think we need to make a couple of basic decisions - I will post a poll - I think that's the best way forward for starters.

Please see Poll: http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=39600

Shelley123
23-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I am interested but not sure how a book club works ???
I like to read fiction and non fiction.
I enjoy biographies, animal books (but don't do sad ), well not too sad ;) and historical.
I like medical thrillers, murders, supernatural, crime (no wonder i have nightmares is it, lol )
Not keen on romance or sci fi