PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Cat

NewRoc84
22-07-2011, 10:24 AM
hi there im new here...
i think my cat may be pregnant, she went "wandering" about 3 weeks ago (for a week) before this she was never intrested in going out but one day she just ran out of the door and didnt come back for a week (a very distressing week for me) well she has been back for about 2-3 weeks now and im not sure if she is pregnant... her nipples have gone from creamy milky white to pinky red she dont really like anyone touching her belly but i have had a feel and i cant find any thing (little walnut sized lumps) in her lower belly... any suggestions???

Kay
22-07-2011, 10:43 AM
It does sound like she maybe pregnant but the pinking up can also indicate she is coming back into call. This is unlikely if she was in call when she disappeared for a week.

How old is she?

It is also extremely possible that on top of being pregnant she could also have contracted FeLV or FIV if she has mated to cat with either or both of these. These can be passed to her kittens which is extremely dangerous and potentially fatal for both mum and babies.

Phoenix
22-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Sorry if this sounds rude but why wasn't she spayed before she got out? I'd get her spayed once she's had the kittens (assuming abortion isn't an option) and when the vet advises it.

(We all know about the overpopulation problem, even the OP, I'm just trying to find out the events leading up to her cat getting pregnant)

NewRoc84
22-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Sorry if this sounds rude but why wasn't she spayed before she got out?

ill be honest with you... she was never intrested in going out... we could leave the windows and doors open and she would never go anywhere near them like i said then one day she just shot out completly unlike her thats why we never got her nuterd...

as payday is in a matter of two weeks (unfortunatly had to pay out other important things) we will get her to the vets (both of them that is) and get them neutered...

but was just wondering...

Kay
22-07-2011, 11:20 AM
How old is she?

NewRoc84
22-07-2011, 11:30 AM
she is 1 year and 2 weeks old

Kay
22-07-2011, 11:33 AM
She should have been spayed six and half months ago then.

I do hope for her sake she isnt pregnant and if she is that the male/males she has mated with are not infected with any of the mentioned diseases or any thing else.

Phoenix
22-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Indoor cats should always be neutered/spayed and this proves it. Sorry if I offend anyone by saying but it's the truth. Accidents can happen.

When you take her in ask the vet if your cat's pregnant and if he/she can abort the pregnancy. I'd advise you to have the pregnancy aborted if possible, there's so many cats and kittens looking for new homes who are in danger of being put to sleep if homes are not found and if you let her have the kittens and find homes for them you are sentencing those cats and kittens to death (the ones in rescue)

Kay
22-07-2011, 01:10 PM
You should also ask the vet to test her for FeLV & FIV.

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Agree 100% with the advice given above.

Phoenix
22-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I have personally seen so many kittens in the rescue I used to volunteer at because of overpopulation some of the cages were so full the kittens in them could hardly move around (not the charity's fault - the had so many kittens in they had nowhere to put them all that year) and one of the adult pens had to be filled with kittens too. Luckily all the kittens got new homes after a while but at the cost of holding adults back for several weeks because there was no room.

The two floor pens were crowded full, the three kitten pens were crowded and adult pen 10 had several kittens in as well.

I hope this helps you understand why I am against breeding unless 1) the person breeding is a reputable breeder (tests the mother and father for anything that could pass onto the kittens) and 2) the breeder is not breeding moggies (non pedigrees)

Kim
22-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree with everyone else. Poor cat, I hope she isn't pregnant, barely more than a kitten herself. I think all pet cats should be neutered regardless of circumstance. When she is old enough to call she will go out looking for a mate, even if she wasn't interested before, hormones will take over! Neutering can also prevent certain illnesses.

Velvet
22-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I concur with everyone else, i think you said both cats were female? I think you should get them spayed ASAP

We have one here that came into call at just over 4 months

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Misty was approximately five months when she came into heat .........

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I think the OP should visit a rescue if she doesn't know about the overpopulation problem and if she wants her cat to have the kittens.

It is NEVER the cat or kittens fault when they end up in rescue, it is always down to humans.

NewRoc - Did you take her to the vet?

Mark Johnson
25-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi, I am Mark Johnson. I love cats and i have four cats now. I had Snowby in the beginning and now she has her 3 babies. It is very cute to see your cat having babies. I would like to share a quote about cat which i found at Quote Ocean:
"A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats."

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi, I am Mark Johnson. I love cats and i have four cats now. I had Snowby in the beginning and now she has her 3 babies. It is very cute to see your cat having babies. I would like to share a quote about cat which i found at Quote Ocean:
"A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats."

Quote Ocean - Famous Quotations and Inspirational Quotes (http://www.quoteocean.com)

How about seeing cats euthanised because homes cannot be found for them? Is that cute too? Have you read any of my posts? I'm not meaning to be rude.

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I have personally seen so many kittens in the rescue I used to volunteer at because of overpopulation some of the cages were so full the kittens in them could hardly move around (not the charity's fault - the had so many kittens in they had nowhere to put them all that year) and one of the adult pens had to be filled with kittens too. Luckily all the kittens got new homes after a while but at the cost of holding adults back for several weeks because there was no room.

The two floor pens were crowded full, the three kitten pens were crowded and adult pen 10 had several kittens in as well.

I hope this helps you understand why I am against breeding unless 1) the person breeding is a reputable breeder (tests the mother and father for anything that could pass onto the kittens) and 2) the breeder is not breeding moggies (non pedigrees)

Did you read this post of mine Mark? Fortunately this rescue was not a "kill" rescue but if it had been then a lot of adult cats would have lost their lives and so would some of the kittens.

Mark Johnson
25-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes, i agree with the points you mentioned about breeding. It is very important to check the cats thoroughly before mating. I wish you all the very best in you mission rescuecatsrule.

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Moggies should never be bred from in my honest opinion. Pyometra and cancer are not cute things for pets to get. I speak from personal experience about the cancer one.

Imagine this - you adopted an elderly cat from a rescue, you only have her for a year before she gets really sick (not helped by being spayed late) then a year and a quarter after adopting her you have to have her euthanised because she gets really sick and in pain, partly due to the fact when she was rescued she was not spayed.

We adopted her partly because it was kitten season and no one wanted her. She's have died in a cage otherwise.

Mark Johnson
25-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Oh... Yes i agree with you.

Phoenix
25-07-2011, 12:15 PM
She wasn't the only case that I knew about where cats have been euthanised because there are no homes. On FB a couple of weeks back a charity were appealing for homes for loads of cats and kittens (40 or 50 odd), some were newborns, only four out of all them got rehomed apparently, the newborns were euthanised along with a load of others (they were appealing for death row pets)

This is the reason why I do not agree with breeding.

Edit: Sorry OP we're going off topic slightly, maybe the mods would like to split some of the posts from this thread into another thread.

Elaine
26-07-2011, 04:12 PM
How very sad. Chances are she is pregnant and my suggestion would be to get her to the vet.

I do have to say that this is another example of irresponsible pet ownership though. Even though she may not have wanted to go out, many Tom cats WILL and DO break in through catflaps and open windows in order to mate. So no excuses really.

Elaine
26-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Why just moggies? There are many pedigrees who find themselves in rescue too and there are many pedigree breeders who are NOT reputable.

Moli
27-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Have to say i agree with you Lainey, its amazing how many pedigree cats have been in our branch of the CP...Bengals being the most popular one...

Kim
27-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Too many people who don't get their cats neutered and too many breeders (sorry to any breeders here) but I just don't think we need or can cope with so many cats per se and rescues overflowing with pedigrees and non-pedigrees prove that.

Phoenix
28-07-2011, 11:44 AM
[/B]

Why just moggies? There are many pedigrees who find themselves in rescue too and there are many pedigree breeders who are NOT reputable.

I don't have a problem with people who breed pedigrees to improve the breed but breeding moggies are a huge no-no as far as I'm concerned.

Think we might have to take this to another thread - have no idea whether the mods will close this thread or whether they are happy leaving it. We're kind of going a bit off topic :oops: (discussing rescues instead of the OP's problem)

Elaine
29-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't have a problem with people who breed pedigrees to improve the breed but breeding moggies are a huge no-no as far as I'm concerned.

So how can you be sure that a pedigree breeder is breeding to improve their breed or do you just take their word for it?

Think we might have to take this to another thread - have no idea whether the mods will close this thread or whether they are happy leaving it. We're kind of going a bit off topic :oops: (discussing rescues instead of the OP's problem)

Stop being a pussy:lol:

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Stop being a pussy:lol:

Meow :lol:

Elaine
29-07-2011, 09:14 PM
So how can you be sure that a pedigree breeder is breeding to improve their breed or do you just take their word for it?

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 09:28 PM
They have to prove it, there should be a system where people have to be on a register if they breed or want to breed.

Grr white screen of death again, had that all day :evil: Every time I go to post I get the white screen of death :evil:

Elaine
29-07-2011, 09:38 PM
What like the GCCF? Just like the Kennel Club, it means very little.

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Something is better than nothing.

Elaine
29-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Something is better than nothing.

So you are telling me that as long as they are registered with the gccf you beleive that they are "reputable" breeders who breed only to better the breed, even if that is only asthetically?
What alot of rubbish.

Elaine
29-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I cannt beleive that you would support such a stupid statement. We have had several breed specific rescues post here, you yourself began a thread about rescues, didnt you see how many breed specific rescues there are in or around your area?

Phoenix
29-07-2011, 10:55 PM
So you are telling me that as long as they are registered with the gccf you beleive that they are "reputable" breeders who breed only to better the breed, even if that is only asthetically?
What alot of rubbish.

I didn't mean that Elaine. What I meant was it's better to have some sort of system than just letting everyone do as they like.

Hreow
30-07-2011, 11:14 PM
The responsible buyer can also do some research on the breeder. We can at least weed out the obvious kitten-farmers and clueless back-room breeders.
I spent a good few years finding Rover's and despite his much-too-short life, I fully believe there was nothing they could have done to prevent it. They have proven to be responsible, honest, friendly and pro-active.

Phoenix
30-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I cannt beleive that you would support such a stupid statement. We have had several breed specific rescues post here, you yourself began a thread about rescues, didnt you see how many breed specific rescues there are in or around your area?

I am not supporting any breeder Elaine. What I was trying to say was although I don't agree with breeding, I can tolerate those who breed to better a specific breed, if that makes sense.

In my opinion rescues should be the first port of call for anyone looking to adopt a new pet.

Why do you think I have the username rescuecatsrule?

Elaine
31-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I am not supporting any breeder Elaine. What I was trying to say was although I don't agree with breeding, I can tolerate those who breed to better a specific breed, if that makes sense.

In my opinion rescues should be the first port of call for anyone looking to adopt a new pet.

Why do you think I have the username rescuecatsrule?

Then maybe you should think about what you are saying in your posts before posting them in order for your position not to mis-interpreted.