PDA

View Full Version : What colour of cats do you prefer?

Phoenix
21-07-2011, 06:27 PM
If you could only pick one colour of cat, what would you choose?

I'd choose black cats because they are hardest to place in homes.

angieh
21-07-2011, 07:26 PM
If I could only have the choice of one, it would have to be a tabby.

Phoenix
21-07-2011, 07:47 PM
If I could only have the choice of one, it would have to be a tabby.

Why tabby angie? ;)

angieh
21-07-2011, 08:14 PM
To me, tabbies are just the perfect cat - not really sure why, always doted on tabbies as a child, birthday cards etc. usually had tabbies on them! Of course my first cat Merlin was a tabby and although Kizzy is strictly a torbie, she is very much a tabby in her behaviour.

dandysmom
21-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree with tabby, oddly enough as I've never had one! I've had seal point Siamese, ruddy Aby, two blue torbies, a ginger and a brindled tortie. But tabbies are the basic cat!

Velvet
21-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Yes tabbies here too. All those years longing for a cat, it was always a tabby i visualised :) always soft spot for gingers too but then they are (usually) tabbies. Wee Mindy has ginger tabby markings - need i go on....

Love them all tho......

As i always say in connection with White Boxers - the colour doth not make the dog ( cat) they are all special in their own way :)

fancyabrew
22-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Silver Tabby, of which Chloe is one, Marmaduke is lilac colourpoint and is very pretty but not as pretty as Chloe. We were after a Silver Tabby BSH boy but couldn't find any local so Lilac colourpoint it was.

Velvet
22-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Silver tabbies are gorgeous! Rescue thought Amber was one :)

Kay
22-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Would have to be a 'Naughty Tortie' here.

So many of you say tabbies but all cats are tabbies underneath it is jsut the presence of the Agouti gene that makes them a visual or 'True Tabby'. Except in the reds/gingers!!! They can look like a 'True Tabby' but in fact be a self cat with no Agouti gene or the can look like a red/ginger self and be a 'True Tabby' with the Agouti gene. This is down to the way colour is laid down on the hair shaft. Just a touch of genetics!!

pamela81
22-07-2011, 10:39 AM
i must admit, i cant pick between black and calico because thats what my 2 are. I always said before i got harris that i didnt want a black cat but when i saw him i fell in love with him. But i must admit, i would love to have a wee ginger cat as i think they are lovely aswell

Hreow
22-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Although Abyssinians are genetically tabby. ^^ Ticked tabby.

Usual ("Ruddy" for the US) Abyssinan colour (Love Rover's colour) or black for me. Canna choose between the two. :) They tend to come in the colour of the cat that decides to adopt me, though, and I have never met a cat with a colour I don't like.

I have much stronger views on conformation.

Velvet
22-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Would have to be a 'Naughty Tortie' here.

So many of you say tabbies but all cats are tabbies underneath it is jsut the presence of the Agouti gene that makes them a visual or 'True Tabby'. Except in the reds/gingers!!! They can look like a 'True Tabby' but in fact be a self cat with no Agouti gene or the can look like a red/ginger self and be a 'True Tabby' with the Agouti gene. This is down to the way colour is laid down on the hair shaft. Just a touch of genetics!!

Ah youve lost me - lOl

I got my first cat a year ago & just got the third two weeks ago. Time was never right to get one before

I didnt even realise a ginger/red cat was a tabby - lol

Dogs now - well thats different, know my stuff there

Amber is unusual - she is blue with mackeral tabby markings :)

Tim is a dilute cream mackeral tabby - a breeder on another forum told me that :)

As for the wee one we thought she was a tortie & white but brcause she has some ginger/red tabby markings, that makes her a Torbie. She has certainly a real "big" character in a very tiny body :-D

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I left out black in my list of cat colors; Onyx wasn't my cat technically, I suppose, but I loved her as much as if she had been,

angieh
22-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Although Abyssinians are genetically tabby. ^^ Ticked tabby.

Usual ("Ruddy" for the US) Abyssinan colour (Love Rover's colour) or black for me. Canna choose between the two. :) They tend to come in the colour of the cat that decides to adopt me, though, and I have never met a cat with a colour I don't like.

I have much stronger views on conformation.

I have found that to be so true!

dandysmom
22-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I second that, Angie.

meg25
11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I would have to choose Silver. I have a tabby and a silver but just adore the silver colour.

miki
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
grey tabby :) (tho I only have white, black and brown tabby now - I guess I will have to get me some grey tabby as well :) :) )

Moli
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Tabby for me too............

Pickalilly
19-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Definitely red ginger tabby

CathyW
22-09-2011, 11:18 PM
black cats :) but i had a lovely ginger boy monty. so i just love cats any colors :)

farthing
23-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I love tortie and White cats, amazingly never had one, although we did have a dilute ( Spice). I also love gingers, we've had a lot of those.
The facts are we take whatever needs a home when we have space!

dandysmom
23-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Blue (dilute) torbies aren't exactly common; wonder what the odds are of having had two at different times:Misty and Leia?

x-clo-x
17-10-2011, 02:52 PM
my favourite is solid ginger cats :-D used to have one when i was small, obviously called ginger :roll: :lol: (i was only 3) unfortunately he got hit by a car.
my next would have to be a solid black. i see loads in rescue, and i will get one when im allowed another cat.
then solid white :lol:
ok so i gave 3 colours :roll: :lol:

truthisouthere
17-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I grew up with tabbies. Tabbies and torties have such strong and stubborn characters from experience. Tabbies are the closest to original wild cat colouring too which I just like.

But I couldn't choose colour over any individual cat that I took on, it's whomever I fell in love with or needed a home at the time, that's how my other's came to me, mostly by chance.

Twocats
24-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I do think that black and white cats are very cute.

Nutmeg is black (but looks brown) and beau is tabby.