PDA

View Full Version : Name suggestions please

Phoenix
18-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm planning to start a pet sitting business but I have no idea what to call it, any suggestions?

pamela81
18-07-2011, 10:55 PM
i have the first 2 pets for you in august if you want!!!!! :)

Phoenix
18-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I'll be running the business in Nottingham and can't really travel anywhere else. I'll PM you anyway Pamela.

Phoenix
19-07-2011, 08:28 PM
The only name I have come up with so far is "Purrfect Pets"

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Kim
19-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Would you travel as far as Leicestershire? Love that name, I'll have a think of name suggestions, but I'm not very imaginative :lol:

Phoenix
19-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately not Kim, heavily reliant on public transport so can only cover Nottingham.

dandysmom
19-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm not very good at names either ...Pet Nanny?

Elaine
19-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Are you doing dog walking too or is it just small animal care?
Au-Pair Pet Care is taken before we go any further ;)
It's important the name you choose covers what you do. I chose my name because I do live at peoples houses often to look after their animals and their homes.
Will you be offering home boarding?

Kim
20-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately not Kim, heavily reliant on public transport so can only cover Nottingham.

Thanks anyway. I wish you all the best of luck with your new venture. :)

Elaine
20-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Do you have a business plan together? You'll need one to open a business account.

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I've got an appointment with Princes Trust so they'll be helping me start it up (appointment is at the beginning of August)

There's still a lot to do before I start it, I'm hoping Princes Trust will help with funding as well.

Elaine
20-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Funding for what? There aren't many over heads, not like you need premisses, you cannt drive so no van...
You havent answered my other questions, are you doing dog walking or is it just small animal care? The more you can offer the more chance of getting business. Cats and small animal care are pretty much seasonal so you need a main stay such as dog walking.
Dog walkers and pet sitters are starting up every day, many thinking that its easy work and easy money but I tell you it bloody isnt. It's hard graft getting going and even harder graft getting a good reputation.
I know of several who started a year ago in Aberdeen and are really struggling to make ends meet, they are thinking about quitting coz it's not the quick buck people think it is.
People think walking 4 to 6 dogs at a time is easy, and it can be if the dogs are compatable and well behaved but many have had no training and the owners expect you to train them. I'm a dog walker not a trainer. They also think you are coining it in, thinking 6 dogs and hour at £? each times that by 3 or 4 walks a day equals big bucks. Takes me the best part of 2 and a half to 3 hours to get the first lot walked, picking them up, taking them to destination for walk, walking them and taking them home before getting the next lot. The there is fuel to consider, wear and tear to the vehicle. Then you have dogs that are NOT compatable and need an individual walk..... the list goes on.
You need to find a niche, something you can offer that people want and that no one else does, for example I saw an advert for a cleaner/dog walker.

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking of doing dog walking with it, realistically I'd be better working for someone else but currently there's not much work around and job centre have stopped my job seekers allowance because O/H works over 25 hours and apparently we are not eligible for any other financial help.

I don't really know what else I could do to get an income coming in. I know it's going to be hard work but all work means you have to work hard at it, I know.

This will only really be a last resort if I can't find work within another couple of months, it will mean I've got an income while I'm searching for alternative employment.

Mags
20-07-2011, 09:06 PM
If you fancy shop work RCR, many supermarkets are always looking for staff, P/T and F/T .....

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm applying for anything and everything Mags, trouble is I get to interview stage and I kind of freeze up like a rabbit in headlights and don't know what to say.

I'm a cowardly custard I know

Elaine - if I don't use the purrfect pets name your welcome to pinch it off me ;)

Elaine
20-07-2011, 09:15 PM
But that's what I'm trying to tell you, it may not be an income until your atleast a year into it, on the other hand you may get lucky but it is a cut throat business.
Do you know any dog walkers in your area? Give them a call and ask if you can spend a day or so with them, actually call a few. That way you will get a better idea from them how much business there is around your area, whether thay are struggling or not and whether they may help pass some business your way.
Is your o/h going into this venture as well? Does he drive? Maybe after some real research and planning, both of you could go into partnership.
What knowledge and experience do you have of dogs? Potential clients might ask this. Are you scared of any breeds? If a dog were to get injured in your care, how would you get it to a vet? There are a million and one questions owners may ask you and you need to be prepared to answer them to their satisfaction.

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Do you have any suggestions about what I can do to get an income then Elaine? Part of my trouble is I just do not so well in interviews.

dandysmom
20-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Networking. Are you both new to the area, or does OH have friends there? More jobs are found from word of mouth from friends than from other sources ..........

Elaine
20-07-2011, 09:43 PM
If you are not confident around dogs then I'd stay clear of dog walking tbh. There is nothing to stop you advertising small animal care in local pet shops, supermarkets etc, if you can home board then all the better. Many people do want some one to look after g-pigs, hamsters, rats etc while they are away but again you will need to be knowledgable on small animal care and how to spot stress related illness etc, you would also have to be able to keep Dylan away from the small furries. But again it would be seasonal work. Or if there are many cats in your area, maybe make up some leaflets and go round doors with them offering a cat sitting service, again seasonal. I dont know your area, so I dont know what opertunities there are available. But if you want your own business, you have to find a niche, put yourself out there and convince people that you are the very person they need or require.
Maybe you should ask the Princes Trust to help you research these things in order to find out what you can offer that no one else does.
Ironing? Any good at that? Alot of people would pay some one to do it for them, I know I would. Cleaning? Sewing?

Elaine
20-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm applying for anything and everything Mags, trouble is I get to interview stage and I kind of freeze up like a rabbit in headlights and don't know what to say.

I'm a cowardly custard I know

Elaine - if I don't use the purrfect pets name your welcome to pinch it off me ;)

I have my name and am registered but thanx

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I can't sew to save my life, cleaning and ironing there's already a few companies about that do that in this area. Big companies like Johnsons etc.

If you know anyone who wants that purrfect pets name Elaine your welcome to pass it on to them ;)

Elaine
20-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Do you have any suggestions about what I can do to get an income then Elaine? Part of my trouble is I just do not so well in interviews.

Maybe you need to try to get some help with Interviews etc, maybe the job centre can help with that.
Even in the dog walking/pet sitting venture, when you visit clients for the first time, it is an interview. They want to know what your experience is and that their animal will be safe in your hands aswell as their homes, remember you will hold keys for their homes. And like wise you will want to know the animals history, vaccinations etc etc.

Elaine
20-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I can't sew to save my life, cleaning and ironing there's already a few companies about that do that in this area. Big companies like Johnsons etc.

If you know anyone who wants that purrfect pets name Elaine your welcome to pass it on to them ;)

Doesnt matter if there are big companies doing it, sometimes people want the small and friendly people. Food for thought anyway.

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Job centre are useless, they are not very helpful round here been asking for help for a while but they just turn a blind eye and a deaf ear

dandysmom
20-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Being self-employed and running your own business isn't easy at all, as Elaine has carefully explained. I think it takes a certain type pf personality to succeed; I know I didn't have any aspirations for it when I was working; I'm an excellent empoyee 9 - 5 and no responsibilities afterwards. Being your own boss means you're on duty 24-7. RCR.if I were you I'd look for a job as an employee; I don't know how bad employment opportunities are in your area, but I'd keep looking. I hope you don't mind my speaking frankly .....

Elaine
20-07-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2453

http://www.onenottingham.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=12968

Mags
20-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Very helpful links Elaine :smt023

Phoenix
20-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Thanks for those Elaine :D

lynz85
20-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I know jobs are hard going atm, my oh has ben looking for a year! Sorry if it's none of my business, but have you moved in with your boyf yet? If not I dont see why the job centre should stop your payments!
I dont really have much advice on what you could do but all the jobs up here seem to be in nursing homes or bar work. I wouldnt really like to suggest going ahead with the dog walking either if you aren't too confident or familiar with dogs, I have been all my life and wouldnt like more than one at a time, saying that my mums dogs a pain in the butt maybe thats why!! If you wanted to do some sort of pet sitting I think your best sticking to what you know, small furries all have different needs and requirements, just cos i have rats I wouldnt even know about say guinea pigs! Good luck with whatever you figure!

Kim
21-07-2011, 05:41 PM
There always seems to be lots of care work around, do you fancy that? I have just been made redundant after 15 years so you have my sympathy, I got another job as a care worker, but tbh it isn't really for me. We are foster carers and will take on another child.