PDA

View Full Version : Raw to go diet! Cheap raw feeding option!

Howldaloom
05-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi guys.

Thought i would post this site for those thinking about raw feeding. I found it very usefull and plan on buying some in to try.

Very cheap!

http://rawtogo.co.uk/default.aspx

Includes 10% bone and 10% offal in all ground meat packs. I would recommend adding 200mg of taurine per day to the mince. maby a chicken wing per week and Around 10g of heart chunks per day, and some salmon oil (3 drops of 1000mg doage from a capule, just put a pin through it and add 3 drops a week)

And hey presto! you have got a VERY nice raw diet!

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm considering trying Dylan on a raw diet but not yet sure about it. If I do go raw with him I'll probably use that link, thanks Howldaloom :)

Elaine
05-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I use Darlings, no need to add anything, it's all ready.

Kim
05-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Darlings in excellent, organic and free range. Quite pricey, but worth it.

Elaine
05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Darlings in excellent, organic and free range. Quite pricey, but worth it.

I like it, or should I say the cats are liking it:lol: Not completely switched over yet, just gradually mixing it through their wet foods. Thought it best to go slowly.
I really hope to get Rayne on it too but we need to take care coz of her IBD.

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 03:55 PM
We've got to be careful with Dylan because of his food intolerance.

Elaine
05-07-2011, 04:12 PM
We've got to be careful with Dylan because of his food intolerance.

Do you know what he's intolerant to? There is a blood test you can have done to check for allergies, that would help you rule out what may or may not upset him.

Velvet
05-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Only thing we get here is Prize Choice sold by PAH.

Elaine - hope it works for Rayne, however you are right to err on caution. We fed raw (dogs) for a year but it didnt agree with them skin or digestion wise.

The cats are not interested - case of - eek whats that!!!:(

NB - Harvey does get raw about 2/3 times a week but not his main feed. Best of both worlds. He was the least intolerant.

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Elaine, we think it's either eggs or chicken digest, possibly cereals. Some cat foods make him really sick (we kept taking him to the vets when we first knew there was a problem and the vet said if Dylan had a food intolerance we could find out by trying him on different cat foods and discovering which ones caused his sickness then ruling out the different ingredients. Next time he sees this vet I'll ask about giving Dylan a blood test to find out exactly which ingredients he's intolerant to. I thought intolerances wouldn't show up on allergy tests though or is it a seperate test?

(Sorry Howldaloom, getting off topic)

Howldaloom
05-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Where in lincolnshire are you rescue cats?

I have the option of feeding prize choice from my local pet shops. But i dont think it is complete? Correct me if im wrong. I dont no :(

Will have to have a peak at darlings

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I need to update my profile - I'm in Nottingham.

Elaine
05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Elaine, we think it's either eggs or chicken digest, possibly cereals. Some cat foods make him really sick (we kept taking him to the vets when we first knew there was a problem and the vet said if Dylan had a food intolerance we could find out by trying him on different cat foods and discovering which ones caused his sickness then ruling out the different ingredients. Next time he sees this vet I'll ask about giving Dylan a blood test to find out exactly which ingredients he's intolerant to. I thought intolerances wouldn't show up on allergy tests though or is it a seperate test?

(Sorry Howldaloom, getting off topic)

My vet mentioned it to me about a month or so ago. He had been to a seminar about it and we were talking about Rayne having it done but we need her to be steriod free before we can do it. He said to me that these blood tests have come such a long way. No harm asking your vet to look into it for you.

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I'll have a word with her next time I take Dylan in. It seems to be iams cat food that causes it the worst but that's not the only one.

Howldaloom
05-07-2011, 05:34 PM
If your near retford area you are rather close to me. Im in gainsborough :D

Iams has a nasty reputation ESP in america.

I dont no wheather you no about the pet food recall in america? It killed a couple thousand dogs and cats and gave a load more kidney failure.

Alot of cat food brands contained a chemical called melomine which was toxic to our pets.

Anyway cut a long story short. Iams instead of recalling their food. decided to test their food on about 20 cats to see if it would kill them.

It did :(

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/ list of pet foods recalled in 2007

http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp Testing iams are doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEwCliYl50 video!

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 05:45 PM
When I emailed them about Dylan's food intolerance to ask what ingredients they put in, the response I got was basically that it was DYLAN'S fault that the food made him sick :evil: I'm not sure whether I still have the email, may have deleted it from sheer disgust.

Better get back on topic now, off poisonams :evil:

Elaine
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
What a lot of rubbish!!! How can an intolerance be the fault of the animal. Surely that's not what they said?

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
They said in the email it wasn't their food that was the problem, Dylan's tummy was the problem (unfortunately I can't remember the exact wording and no longer have the email - deleted it out of sheer disgust)

I have no idea what they were talking about, maybe I'm being thick but I just don't see it. They came across as being a load of uncaring *insert your own word*

I know Dylan's a pig with his food but I can tell the difference between Dylan pigging out and making himself sick and the food Dylan's eating making himself sick.

Howldaloom
05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Of course a big multi billion dollar company cannot be in the wrong putting loadsa fillers and wheat into a carnivours food :evil:

What utter rot! :roll:

Have you had a luck on zooplus? They do some great grain free foods! Have a look at porta 21 sensible grain free food.

I have no idea what your budget is? But its around £34 pounds for a 10kg sack of food.

And a goodish wet food is smilla, grau and bozita.

But for all that expense you might aswell feed the raw to go diet.

It would cost you less and you get a fantastic diet. Or there is the NI diet or darlings.

None of the raw diets contain fillers :lol:

Howldaloom
05-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Maby just try feeding him a decent wet food only diet. again smilla is a good option. You can buy 30 cans for £22 which would be more then enough for one cat

Phoenix
05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Dylan's main trouble is he's a greedy pig and eats any other cats food he can find, so he wears a do not feed collar but it doesn't do anything to stop him from being a pig :roll:

Edit: I think he's had some iams this evening, he's just had the runs in his tray :roll: