PDA

View Full Version : Is This True for all Cats?

Gladys
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I was listening to the radio one morning, when the presenter said his cat wouldn't drink it's water from the bowl next to it's food.

He went on to say that he'd put the water bowl in a separate room from the food and that the cat was drinking it.

Well, I was worried (still do a bit) because my cat's food/water setup was the same, in that they were next to eachother and she wasn't drinking much water. I did no more than follow that radio presenter's advice, and my cat began to drink her water more often.

Is this what other people find?

lynz85
04-07-2011, 04:53 PM
my cats water bowl is right next to his food and he drinks it fine. i find he drinks more than my old cat and the setup was the exact same. maybe just individual cats preference?

Hreow
04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
My kitten prefers us to turn a tap on for him (the kitchen tap is right next to the food-dish). I've found that my cats like drinking any water that wasn't set out for them in a bowl.
"Inconclusive" from me, then. :)

angieh
04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Pip is a tap drinker in the main and Kizzy drinks from a water fountain which is in the same room as their food and reasonably close, but not right next to ........

PoshPuss
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Posh eats her food on the table but drinks from her bowl on the floor. When she first came to us she drank from Bron's (our late sheepdog) bowl and has continued to do so. I feel she still has that connection with her :)

dandysmom
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
All of mine for years have had the water bowl directly next to the food plate, and used it. So not true in my case... 6 cats in all over a long span of time.

Velvet
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Our dogs & cats all drink from the same bowl on the floor. Cats are fed off floor, dogs are fed in the conservatory

babycakes
05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Denis prefers to rink from a pint glass in the sink but will drink from his bowl. I have heard its because they dont like to get their whiskers wet

pinklizzy
07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Imogen only drinks water from the large water bowl in a seperate room from her food.
There is a theory that this stems from the cat in the wild, they wouldn't drink water from pools of water near to prey they'd killed incase it was contaminated in any way. It's also why lots of cats prefer a running water source rather than a 'stagnant' pool.

angieh
07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
That makes perfect sense, thanks PL!

Manyana13
07-07-2011, 11:32 PM
My cats drink water out of pint glasses, we have a few around the house! None near their food. In all honestly, I think they just choose to do this because it creates more work for me :-) It would be far too easier otherwise!

jarvsam
08-07-2011, 12:08 PM
My 2 cats have thiere food bowls on the kitchen work top, but they share a water bowl with my dog which is on the floor and they all seem happy with this, the cats do get a bit peaved whith the dog as he tends to leave bits of grass and leaves in the water off his chin and face!

pamela81
09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
my 2 have their food and water bowls on the floor but if theres a glass with water on it beside us then they will drink out of it if we dont catch them sneaking up 1st