PDA

View Full Version : Indoor activities for cats!

Alfiekins
20-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello
Looking for some indoor activities for my two cats...currently have a cardboard city thing going on in my kitchen but looking for more ideas!

angieh
20-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Cardboard city sounds great ... any chance of a photo? I think many would agree that cats just love boxes, bits of string with newspaper tied on the end or a plastic bottle top or scrunched up bits of foil or paper. Cats do love to climb and you can buy climbing poles or trees that do the job and double as scratch posts - they can tend to be expensive though.

Alfiekins
20-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Cardboard city sounds great ... any chance of a photo? I think many would agree that cats just love boxes, bits of string with newspaper tied on the end or a plastic bottle top or scrunched up bits of foil or paper. Cats do love to climb and you can buy climbing poles or trees that do the job and double as scratch posts - they can tend to be expensive though.

Hmm maybe I shouldn't of described it as a 'city'.....Its basically five cardboard boxes next to each other and on top of each other with holes cut out to get through to the next box! I shove bits of tin foil in there, cat nip toys and milk bottle tops and it keeps them both amused. They do sometimes get on each others nerves so this way they get to play with each other without attacking each other! They also lay on top of them and inside gives them a bit of a change I think. Haven't tried newspaper tied on string thats a new idea thank you. Alfie my indoor cat is quite attached with a spring cat toy I got from cats protection for 75p carries it about everywhere!

Hreow
20-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll be trying one of those puzzle feeder balls on Toffee just as soon as he is bigger than it. :mrgreen: He's also got a pingpong ball in the bath and a ball for golf-practice in the bedroom. (Not that *he* plays golf with it but it is soft and has clawable holes in it so is wonderful for pawbal.l)

What sort of (other) toys do they chose to play with?

Alfiekins
20-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm planning on making a puzzle feeder when I get round to it...I have enough empty toilet roll tubes saved up! Mine don't really seem that interested in all the other bits they have. Storm enjoys entering my washing bag so perhaps I should buy him his own!

Hreow
20-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm planning on making a puzzle feeder when I get round to it...I have enough empty toilet roll tubes saved up! Mine don't really seem that interested in all the other bits they have. Storm enjoys entering my washing bag so perhaps I should buy him his own!

That reminds me... For Rover I tied a pyramid of loo-rolls (later the insides of paper-towel rolls when his arms got longer) together, put a backing on it and put treats into some of them. It fitted snuggly next to the sofa so he couldn't tip it without really trying and he'd spend some time happily fishing treats out.

dandysmom
20-06-2011, 09:31 PM
We certainly have some creative people here ... love the cardboard city and the loo-roll pyramid ideas. Plain old newspaper turned upside down to make a tent has always gone over well here ....

Kel
22-06-2011, 10:45 AM
The cardboard city idea sounds great! I really want to try this when little one is big enough!

Hreow
22-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't think cats have to be very old/big at all to enjoy (cardboard) boxes. :mrgreen:

Alfiekins
23-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I was really sad yesterday....a big box came with my cat food in and a new litter tray from zoo...the box was enormous! I was just thinking how great it would be for the cats! Wasn't long before Alfie got on the top. I love cardboard boxes, my rabbits love them too!

dandysmom
23-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I have never had or heard of a cat who did not like boxes!