PDA

View Full Version : Dylan has a new enemy

Phoenix
20-06-2011, 12:01 PM
There's a black and white cat round here (Nottingham) he has started fighting with. Any tips on preventing him from fighting with him/her? Dylan is the one starting the fights, the other cat just sits there watching him with a "whatever" expression on it's face, Dylan's the aggressor. I've seen him attacking the other cat and I had to step in and herd the other cat away before it escalated further. I cannot remove Dylan from the situation when he starts fighting because the moment I let him go he will be straight back into the fight again, all I can do is try to herd the other cat away.

angieh
20-06-2011, 12:52 PM
The only thing I can think of RCR is to get a water pistol and as soon as you see Dylan making a move on the other cat, fire the water pistol at him. It's hard when it's your cat being aggressive, but he really is only trying to establish his territory. I take it that you and Dylan have moved to Nottingham with dylanstroker recently?

Phoenix
20-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, last weekend (weekend just gone) The thing is Dylan has always been aggressive towards certain other cats (he seems to have an aversion to particular colours) so he has a long history of aggression. He really does get nasty towards other cats and I want to nip it in the bud before it gets to the point where the neighbours with cats hate Dylan.

I'm considering getting a behaviourist in when we start to seriously plan for another cat but not sure what a behaviourist could do about Dylan's aggression (you wouldn't think he'd be so mean to look at him when there's no other cats about!)

Butter wouldn't melt .................

Hreow
20-06-2011, 03:20 PM
By hearding the other cat away, aren't you telling Dylan that he's right? If so, I doubt that it will make him stop fighting.

Rover did the same, but I could pick him up and put him on house-arrest for fifteen minutes to allow the other cat to wander off.

dandysmom
20-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Erm, picking up an angry cat? I did that once when Sultan got into an actual physical fight with a strange intruder, he bit me in the excitement and I had to go to the ER,
Hreow's spot on that the water pistol is encouraging Dylan, but at least it's driving off the other cat before it gets physical and someone gets hurt ...... I really do wonder if, at Dylan's age, a behaviorist would he helpful; but I suppose it's worth trying. Sorry not to have more helpful advice. It's a dilemma .....

Phoenix
20-06-2011, 06:19 PM
By hearding the other cat away, aren't you telling Dylan that he's right? If so, I doubt that it will make him stop fighting.

Rover did the same, but I could pick him up and put him on house-arrest for fifteen minutes to allow the other cat to wander off.

Unfortunately picking Dylan up when he's in that state isn't an option, like I said. If I touch him and remind him I'm there, it makes him worse (makes him think I need protection so he escalates his yowling and fighting)

Kazz
20-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't think your being there makes him worse, and I don't think he is protecting you he is a cat out for a fight.

You have a cat who is a "trouble maker" and "fighter" I had one too with Oscar I used to have to duck when I saw certain other cat owners who he used to beat the c**p out of and steal their food etc etc when he was younger....good point is he kinda stopped in his 20's ;) I know its not nice and if a cat had moved in your area and he/she was a bully like Dylan then you would be annoyed I agree with the water pistol idea try to put off the other cats but the thing is you have recently moved so Dylan is making his way on other cats established territory, so make sure he is wearing his collar and make sure you inform near neighbours he is your cat not a roaming "Tom" who they may take umberage with. The water pistol may well be the answer but not sure a cat behaviorist would help. But you mau have to decide that Dylan will be an "only cat"

Hope the move went well and "congratulations on your new home may you all be happy there"

dandysmom
20-06-2011, 09:34 PM
As usual, good common sense there, Kazz!

Phoenix
21-06-2011, 02:19 PM
It's strange but he used to live with another cat (even though he kept bullying the other cat), females he can be all right with, he just pesters them until they get annoyed with him and chases him off.

Kazz
21-06-2011, 06:39 PM
It's strange but he used to live with another cat (even though he kept bullying the other cat), females he can be all right with, he just pesters them until they get annoyed with him and chases him off.

Living with another cat and living in harmony with another cat are two different things though aren't they?

I could live here with a crocodile but it would not be in harmony. You say he used to bully the other cat thats kinda telling you Dylan is better in a one cat home.

He may well settle down slightly when he settles into his new home and boundaries are established he needs and the cats in the area need to understand the rules of engagment.

How are you finding the new area and new life?

Phoenix
23-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Bit hectic, had to chase another pair of cats away from the garden yesterday (the black and white Dylan was fighting with) and a tabby and white I haven't seen before. Dylan was nowhere to be seen.

I'm not sure whether Dylan would be best as an only cat, because in Lincolnshire he was friends with a tabby and white and they used to follow each other round - Dylan never attacked that one, Sasha next door in Lincolnshire he pestered, same with Poppet in Yorkshire. It seems to be only the males he gets really aggressive with, like I said female cats he either tolerates, or slightly more rare, likes.

He seems to behave worse when I'm there and he's started running from people as well, he keeps running from dylanstroker when he's walking around, when he's sat down he's quite happy to sit on his lap or my lap. Next time I take him into the vets I'm going to have his sight checked I think (don't think there's anything wrong with it because he seems able to recognise by sight other cats before he even smells them)