PDA

View Full Version : Feral Kitten, advice needed.

rubycube
20-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Hi

I hope that someone will be able to offer me some advice as I am not really sure what to do.
My grandad (who is 96) has 4 feral cats in his garden. He does feed them although it costs him quite a lot. There are 2 ginger males and 2 tabby females. One of the females has now got a kitten with her, it is quite small but can eat mashed up cat meat and its eyes are now not as cloudy as last weekend. I have never had a kitten before so not sure what age this one is. Any ideas? It is quite lively and runs and playfully jumps all over its mother.
I did contact a local cats protection league a while back as I was concerned that one of the cats was pregnant. I explained that the cats were feral and could not be stroked/touched but the only advice that they could offer was for us to catch them and they would be able to spay them. This is impossible to do. So now there is a kitten, not sure if she had any more.
I am so upset about this kitten just being left outdoors and being left to live a hard outdoor life. I have been trying to persuade my other half to have this kitten and take it home. Only problem is that we already have a cat approx 11 years of age. Not sure how my cat would adapt to a kitten and would hate to take kitten and then have to rehome if things didn't go well. My cat came from a cats home with another cat, that had previously lived together. We were told that they were related but cannot be certain about this, however they got on very well.
I am going to contact the RSPCA and see what help they will be able to offer me. Both myself and husband have agreed that we would be happy to pay to females neutered if the right organisation would be able to help.
Any help/ideas/advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Susan.

Velvet
20-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Contact the CPL again and ask them about borrowing "cat traps" then you could get the males as well as the females neutered/spayed and stop anymore unwanted kittens.

Once neutered/spayed ferals can be released back to where they came from

As for the kitten, there are others more experienced here could advise you regarding introducing it to your older cat.

rubycube
20-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice Velvet. I did contact my vet today and they have given me the name of a cat rescue that will actually trap the cats, neuter and return them. So hopefully all will go well.

Anyone else help regarding introducing (female) kitten to older female cat??

Thanks
Susan

Velvet
20-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Susan

This article written by a vet should help & give you guidelines

http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=471