PDA

View Full Version : Camping with a cat

Jugsmalone
15-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Me and the OH are off next week and for ages we have been planning to go camping with our dogs but theres one problem, we have since aquired Mika(Cat). so my question is has anyone ever been camping with their cat? and if so do you have any helpful tips?

Thanks

angieh
15-06-2011, 01:36 PM
:D :D :D

This brings back memories! Too many years ago now, I worked as a typesetter at a vanity publisher. One of the books I set was about a couple who travelled around with their cat in a camper van. Can't remember any details though.

Personally, I would be too worried about the cat escaping, doing a runner, making a bid for freedom or just wandering off looking for cat-stuff.

Jugsmalone
15-06-2011, 01:59 PM
:D :D :D

This brings back memories! Too many years ago now, I worked as a typesetter at a vanity publisher. One of the books I set was about a couple who travelled around with their cat in a camper van. Can't remember any details though.

Personally, I would be too worried about the cat escaping, doing a runner, making a bid for freedom or just wandering off looking for cat-stuff.

I am a bit worried myself about her getting lost/not coming back etc. i dont think we will end up going camping. it would interesting to know if any one has actually took their cat camping.

alexgirl73
15-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Could you not buy one of those electronic feeders that can give a few days meals, that way you can still go and Mika will be safe at home having the run of the house :D

angieh
15-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I am a bit worried myself about her getting lost/not coming back etc. i dont think we will end up going camping. it would interesting to know if any one has actually took their cat camping.

Yes, I agree it would but I think the chances may be rather slim, although there was one man I seem to remember who did do that, but unfortunately he isn't posting any longer.

Jugsmalone
15-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Could you not buy one of those electronic feeders that can give a few days meals, that way you can still go and Mika will be safe at home having the run of the house :D

thats a good idea. didnt think of that one. thanks for suggesting.

dandysmom
15-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Any change of a cat-sitter to come by, feed and water her, change litter, etc? I would definitely not try to take her camping; cats hate change, she could easily get frightened, disoriented and run off never to be seen agai ... too risky!!!!!!

Kim
15-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Any change of a cat-sitter to come by, feed and water her, change litter, etc? I would definitely not try to take her camping; cats hate change, she could easily get frightened, disoriented and run off never to be seen agai ... too risky!!!!!!

Agree with Eileen, definitely too risky. Better to be safe and book her into a cattery, or better still have someone to come in to give her fresh food and clean her litter tray.

cats' staff
15-06-2011, 09:28 PM
The only person I knew was a girl I met years ago when I was a circuit digger (archaeologist moving from job to job, usually camping). She was the envy of many of us as she had a camper van which was her home. She had 2 cats she'd had since they were kittens and they were used to moving around, home was the van wherever it was! I don't think it would work with occasional holidays though- it was all the cats had known.

dandysmom
15-06-2011, 09:41 PM
What an interesting story, CS! Thanks for sharing that ... just goes to show people/animals can adapt to anuthing if it's all they've ever known!