PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat talk to you?

Misspurrfect
14-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Does your cat have different meows and and can you tell what he/she's trying to tell you :D

I can tell the difference between George's "I'm mad at you" meow and his "I love you mum" meow. Milly's got a "what do you want" one and a "feed me immediately before I learn how to use the phone and report you to the RSPCA" meow.

Love my cats:cat1

Hreow
14-06-2011, 08:07 PM
All of my cats have talked to me, from the no-nonsense girl who said "ouw!" in an imperious way for "out" i.e. "open the door you thick human" to Toffee's "E!" in various phrasings. Rover also chatted about all and nothing as we went about our days.

angieh
14-06-2011, 08:17 PM
My two aren't really very chatty, Kizzy does use a little prrrrp in greeting and Pip seems to be the strong silent type these days.

Squirrel
14-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I get various calls. There's definitely the 'foods coming! I want it now!!!' cry aka "HURRY UP MUM!!!" then there's the "I don't like that!" yelp of complaint. And the "Where are you Mummy? I want company" which I get sometimes when she wanders out of the room, or if I'm not quick enough to open the lounge door when I get home. Or if I do so then go to the loo...

pamela81
14-06-2011, 08:27 PM
harris is very chatty!! i know when hes hungry or being a toad and not wanting to use his tray when he needs to. He also warbles at night as if to say, "im bored and want to play!!!" Skye has gotten into the habit of jumping up beside me in the middle of the night and meowing as if to say, "mum wake up i want a cuddle"

lynz85
14-06-2011, 08:30 PM
pip is very chatty, especially when he wants grub!! he is a bit of a whinger aswell, he makes funny wee noises all the time, and i often get a wee series of mraows on his way upstairs to greet me in the morning.

cats' staff
14-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Tolly just uses body language and boy is he eloquent! For example, if he thinks it is food time he simply sits in front of the food bowl and glares.......

Squirrel
14-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I've just been reminded about the 'birdies, I want to go play with the flying things!' chirrup... :)

dandysmom
14-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Leia has never been very talkative, but has gotten much more so as she's older. Carolyn noted how chatty she was when she stayed there for two weeks when I was in hospital; and she has talked very frequently to my friend who's helping me pack up for the move.

They seem to have decided we are utterly hopeless at deciphering their subtle body language, so "shout" at us, so to speak.

Two of my boys over the years said "oow" so plainly that there was no chance of misunderstanding that it meant "out". Gotta luv em! :D

Misspurrfect
14-06-2011, 10:09 PM
George was always the silent, body language type but I think he's eventually realised that Milly, who is very vocal, got the message through quicker. Poor George always has been a bit slow on the uptake bless him. Squirrel you made me grin because George has this funny cross between a meow and a purr that comes out as a chirrup. He usually does this one just before he rolls over and does the "cutsie" thing lol. He also has this silent meow where he opens his mouth and his whiskers twitch but no sound comes out. This happens when he's told to do something he's not happy about and I tell him not to answer me back. You know I'm sure they both know exactly what I'm saying to the lol!

Velvet
14-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Tim is more vocal than Amber. He has a loud yowl , but i only have to look at him & he starts to purr. Hes very much my cat, one person cat

Amber has a little quiet short cry, never mistake what she wants tho - she can let you know:) very independent more so than Tim:)

dandysmom
14-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Oh, the famous silent miaow! Leia is a past master (mistress) of that; does it frequently, usually accompanied by a small starving kitty face ... to indicate she is soooo weak from hunger that is the best she can do. Little con artists, and very skilled at manipulating us. :roll:

Phoenix
15-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Dylan makes enough noise to wake the dead :roll: he never shuts up :roll:

cats' staff
15-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Oh, the famous silent miaow! Leia is a past master (mistress) of that; does it frequently, usually accompanied by a small starving kitty face ... to indicate she is soooo weak from hunger that is the best she can do. Little con artists, and very skilled at manipulating us. :roll:

Smudge does the poor, starving kitty too weak with hunger to make a noise routine! For added emphasis she will flop onto her side whilst mouthing 'meouw'. As well as her other nicknames she is sometimes referred to as 'Camille' or this is referred to as Smudge doing her Camille. She definitely channels Greta Garbo some days!

paulinef2
15-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Tiger has a whole range of litle noises as well as the silent miaow, especially when he's snoozing and I speak to him it's a whole "I'm so tired I can't even miaow" thing going on. Lester is quite vocal too and has a little brrr noise he uses to attract my attention, he used to use it to call to his sisters the breeder was telling me. Bless them both :)

dandysmom
15-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Smudge does the poor, starving kitty too weak with hunger to make a noise routine! For added emphasis she will flop onto her side whilst mouthing 'meouw'. As well as her other nicknames she is sometimes referred to as 'Camille' or this is referred to as Smudge doing her Camille. She definitely channels Greta Garbo some days!

Oh, love that story! Perfect description, doing her Camille; I must tell Leia that the next time she displays her quite excellent acting skills. t isn't easy portraying a dying waif when you are 14 well padded pounds ..... a pity there are no kitty Oscars as it seems that our two would definitely be contenders....... :mrgreen:

angieh
15-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Shame ........... why don't we start our own? Award annually to the best story of cat acting ability?????

dandysmom
15-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Love that idea! What shall we call it: The Camille?

angieh
15-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, thats a great name - just have to decide when ... But perhaps we should award the first Camille to Smudge???

dandysmom
15-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd go along with that, as she adds flopping on her side from weakness; Leia hasn't added that to her repertoire (sp?) yet!

cats' staff
15-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Ooh, I'll ask her to work on her acceptance speech!

dandysmom
16-06-2011, 02:08 AM
We need a category for the cat who can look at you with a butter wouldn't melt expression standing by the empty canary cage with a yellow feather in his whiskers...

cats' staff
16-06-2011, 08:36 AM
We need a category for the cat who can look at you with a butter wouldn't melt expression standing by the empty canary cage with a yellow feather in his whiskers...

I think that whould be called a 'hoomey?'

babycakes
16-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Denis definetly has a range of crys and mews and I know what he is saying by all of them. For example,He has a real cute one for when hes all loved up that always makes me smile and he has a very high pitched one when he really wants to come in.....also he has a low moan when hes ready to bite me cos he isnt getting his own way :lol: