PDA

View Full Version : Would it be cruel/unfair to make a kitten be an indoor only cat?

Dolly101
12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't have a cat/kitten but am thinking about whether it would be possible. We live a first and second floor flat and only have the front garden downstairs and a balcony. the road we are on is a little busy too so i would be afraid of letting a cat out and we have 3 doors you go through to get out so it makes it difficult. it would be nice to rescue an adult cat but it would have to be an indoor one and be able to tolerate a dog, which when ive looked on the internet, haven't found any cat that is both. so, my question, is it cruel to force a kitten to be a house cat???

pamela81
12-06-2011, 07:43 PM
when i got Harris, he was 5 month old kitten. We have a busy road beside us and i didnt want to let him out. He was found straying beside a main road so should have had a little bit of road sense but im not letting him out as im scared that he will get hurt as the 2 roads beside us are busy at all times of the day. Skye is also an indoor cat although she was about a year old when we got her.

Hope that helps

angieh
12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
If you have space and can provide plenty of activities for your kitten, such a climbing trees and toys, then no it isn't cruel. There are several members here who have indoor only cats.

Elaine
12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd be a little concerned as to whether the dog would be ok with a small kitten tbh, what kind of dog do you have and has it been around many cats/kittens?
I'd prefer to be able to let my cats out but to be honest they seen perfectly happy to be house cats.
Have you contacted all your local rescues/shelters to see if they have anything suitable?

dandysmom
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
My cats have always been indoor only (area, traffic), started as kittens. They're very adaptable, provide them with amusement and toys, they will be fine. It would be better to get two kittens though, they'll amuse one another. I am concerned about the dog also..... would he/she be safe round vulnerable little kittens?

Elaine
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
NW Kent, here's a few, but there are loads more....

www.battersea.org.uk
www.cats.rolvenden.org.uk
www.celiahammond.org
www.anim-mates.org.uk
www.streetkatzrescue.com
www.catcuddles.org.uk
www.rspca-medway.co.uk
www.retreatanimalrescue.org.uk
www.chestnutcatsanctuary.co.uk
www.rspca.org.uk
www.medway.cats.org.uk
www.uckfield.cats.org.uk
: www.bredhurstkent.cats.org.uk
www.tenterden.cats.org.uk
www.bexleycatsprotection.co.uk
www.maidstone.cats.org.uk
www.cats.org.uk/elthamsidcup
www.bromleycatsprotection.org.uk
www.rspca-ashforddistrict.org.uk
www.rspca-kentnorthwest.org.uk
www.midkentrspca.com
www.lastchanceanimalrescue.co.uk
www.foalfarm.org.uk
www.bluecross.org.uk
www.romneyhousecatrescue.org.uk
www.bromleycatrescue.co.uk
www.orpingtoncatrescue.org.uk
www.maidstonecatwelfare.org.uk
www.animalsamaritans.org.uk
www.kentcatrescuecentre.co.uk

Elaine
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
East Kent

www.tagpetrescue.org.uk
cic-thanet.blogspot.com
: www.rspcakent.org.uk
: www.cats.rolvenden.org.uk
www.kingsdowncatsanctuary.org
www.bluecross.org.uk
www.folkestonehythe.cats.org.uk
www.cats.org.uk/swale
: www.cats.org.uk/canterbury
www.bredhurstkent.cats.org.uk
www.tenterden.cats.org.uk
www.rspca-ashforddistrict.org.uk
www.rspca-canterbury.org.uk
www.rhodesminnis.co.uk
www.canterburycatsociety.org
www.dunwellinternet.com/lordwhisky
www.siameserescue.org.uk
www.cinnamon.org.uk

paulinef2
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
My two are indoor but I am fortunate enough to be able to provide supervised access to back garden, if you have plenty of activities and playtimes with them then a cat can adapt I feel. My older cat has had being indoor forced on him due to a stroke earlier in the year. I am pretty proud of how well he has coped, but he does miss the outdoors.

Dolly101
12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
thanks for replies :)
umm well my dog is small(cocker spaniel) she has been to couple of my friends houses who have cats and one of them, she is wary of and gives it space when it is on the ground and the other one she is totally fine with and acts like its not there and if she wonders too close to him he gives a small hiss. i would look up how to introduce them properly and do it the right way if me getting a cat were too happen. i thought it might be better to get a kitten so that it would grow up with dogs being normal?? and hopefully with it being a small kitten my dog would accept it better. i would love it they became company for eachother! but i guess i wont know how she would react??

Velvet
12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I waited many years before getting cats, time, circumstances etc were never right. At the time we booked "Tim" (he was only few days old) we still had Rosie our red/white Boxer. I knew she would accept a baby animal so had no worries. Sadly it was not to be, she left us 3 weeks before we were to go & collect Tim. I was concerned as our other Boxers (2) had never really had babies to look after or care for. Altho Katie had helped rear Harvey :) she was his rough & tumble playmate whilst Rosie was his comfort mama :)

We talked it over with the Rescue who were very helpful with lots of advice & info

We brought Tim in - put the dogs in another room & let the wee man settle for an hour & then brought the dogs in one at a time on leads. Tim took one look & hissed - two astonished Boxers backed off. *For first few days Tim avoided & tip toed round the dogs, then he got the weigh up of things & became best buds with Harvey - boys together type thing. He would nip & scratch & leap on & over Harvey & Harvey loved it. Katie was petrified of this wee tiny furball :(

When Amber came we opened the cat basket & her wee head popped out, the two dogs were enchanted - from that moment Katie lost her fear of cats. Tim marched in, stopped dead in his tracks & hissed & completely ignored Amber. Its as well she had two adoring Boxers to welcome her!

Our two are housecats - we have added a cat run but only in recent couple of months. If they are used to it & know no difference & as others have said have lots of toys & cat activity tree - we have a room upstairs for the cats. It used to be my houseplant room - now very much a cats toy/play room:)

When they are out in their run which is attached to the house the dogs rarely leave the area & the garden is extensive. Our four have a strong bond.

Handled correctly it can work - see below. My advice is to speak to whoever is in charge of homing at whatever rescue you choose & explain your circumstances

Boys together - Baby Timmy & Harvey

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/rosievelvet/Image1775.jpg

Baby Tim nipping Harvey!!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/rosievelvet/2878cc87.jpg

Best Buds - Harvey & Baby Tim
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/rosievelvet/5c55ad22.jpg

Tink
13-06-2011, 12:09 AM
I've had indoor only cats for years. I think it's actually much more common here in the states for it to be suggested you keep your cats indoors, a good number of people do. Cats are very adaptable and my cats are very content being indoors. They will be fine provided you give them a suitable indoor environment.

Misspurrfect
13-06-2011, 06:11 PM
When I got George and decided that for various reasons he would have to be a house cat, I actually asked my vet if I was being cruel keeping him inside, when their natural instinct is to be outside. I was assured by the vet that it would not be detrimental to him at all. I must say though that I did end up getting him Milly about a month after. This was more because I felt guilty than because of any problems with him. As well as toys and things to entertain them, they also have each other to chase round lol