PDA

View Full Version : Could be stray-not sure what to do.

PoshPuss
10-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi guys,

I know some of you have been in this situation before but I need your guidance on how best to deal with a possible stray in our area.

He's a fairly well looking black and white chap, intact tom with a powerful spray, clean coat and a few scram marks to his face. No fleas evident I checked with a flea come and not a lot of dirt on his coat, pads are clean and no evidence of fur loss. No collar, but I recall he once had a blue one, ages ago.

Now, he's been a regular visitor to my home for about 3-4 weeks, will calmly walk in and help himself to Posh's Go-cat, much to her chagrin, but she's only hissed at him. I had to shoo him out because he sprayed around my kitchen-pooeey!:roll:

He's friendly and loves to be stroked but cries when touched, and looks afraid - his eyes show fear, I can't explain really. I tried to pick him up and he scrammed me! I have asked about and my neighbour has said he belongs to people on the council estate, he's been to her house and others and gets his food that way.

I don't want to feed another persons cat but feel I can't ignore him. I leave food & water out for him, when I can.
Am I doing ok?

angieh
10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Oh that's a really tricky one PP, especially as he probably has owners, albeit negligent ones, on the nearby estate.

Do you have an active Cats Protection organisation in your area, or other cat rescue? I'd give them a ring and tell them the problem and ask for advise. Otherwise I would recommend not leaving food or water out for him and hope he moves on. It's a bad option, but you don't want him coming in, upsetting Posh and spraying in your home. Yukkkkkkk.

No vet will neuter a cat that someone doesn't say belongs to them (even if that's not strictly true) - but a cat rescue could have him neutered and take him in IF they have any room. This is exactly the situation I found myself in last Summer with Harley, although I did manage to trace his owner who didn't want him back so that made it a bit easier.

Velvet
10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Good advice from Angie

PoshPuss
10-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks Angie, I knew you'd been through some thing similar. I have phoned the local CP, they have no room to take him in. They have said that he is probably a stray, or as you say a neglected cat, but asked if I could take him in. Well, no, I don't want to, I'm happy with my one madam (sorry) I shall stop leaving food for him and hope he moves on.

I'm sure he's not likely to be chipped, should I put up lost cat posters? Trouble is, he's not with me all the time and it goes for a few days sometimes without me seeing him.
Such a worry :roll:

Misspurrfect
10-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Some good advice given already. I just wanted to say that not feeding him is the right thing to do, although I know it probably goes against your instincts. It will only encourage him to keep coming back and it sounds as if he has other sources judging by the way he disappears for a while (I wouldn't mind betting he goes back to his proper home). Hope everything turns out alright :-)

angieh
10-06-2011, 08:04 PM
As I chat to folk around me (it's amazing how many more people speak when you are being towed by a dog!) I find more sad stories about Harley - the stray who landed with me last June. He terrorised other cats in the area, was a real bully. He seemed to be Ok with Kizzy and Pip until he thought he had his feet firmly under my table, and then he turned on them too, especially Pip. He showed that he was cunning and a real bully and although I felt awful for taking him to a rescue, I could have done nothing else for him. He was a very silly boy, because he could have had a loving home here, but I guess he was just too old to change his ways. I often think about him with sorrow that I couldn't have waved a wand and made him a better boy. I have no idea what happened to him - he went to the rescue just before Christmas in appalling weather but never appeared on their rehoming website.

It's horrid PP, and I know it's against your instincts and all cat lovers' instincts but for your own comfort, and for Posh's, you should not encourage him and I would recommend a water pistol to help him move on. I hate myself for writing this but I am thinking of your sanity and Posh's wellbeing.

Kazz
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
As a cat owner I always saw loads of cats some tried to sneak in the house (usually foiled by the dogs or Oscar if he was home) I think if I had just had Cleo I would have had cats all over the place eating her food. But being catless for a few years now I read your thread and Angie's with Harley and realise I get no cat callers now................either cats are attracted by other cats and or cat food available. Or they have some sort of street talk thats tells them "easy picking there"

I would stop putting food out and hope he moves on. Make sure you leave nothing down for Posh to graze on and keep the door closed or her watched when she is being fed. He should move on. I may be heartless however I work on the thinking "look after your own first"

dandysmom
11-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I agree 100% with Kazz; it's hard, ignoring and not feeding does go against our nurturing instincts, but don't feed/encourage him at all; hope he will move on.

PoshPuss
11-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the great advice and support girls. I knew in my heart that I had to be cruel to be kind, and I knew you'd understand that and give me the courage to do so. :(
'Tis hard when you love cats but, like Angie's Harley, I think I'd be landing myself with trouble.

I've brought in the bowls from outside, and will be firm and use deterrents as needed :shock: We tend to leave the back door open in good weather so will have to just be vigilant and keep all the Go-cat off the floor.
Hope he takes the hint and goes home or leads a street life that works out for him.

Thanks for your help and words of comfort, xxx

Kazz
11-06-2011, 10:39 AM
It will be hard but I think if you could put a tracker on him you would find he has more than one food houses.

dandysmom
11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
PP, re the open back door, could you not pick up a screen door at the DIY/hardware store? That way you could have the benefit of the fresh air, keeping Posh in, the stray (and bugs!) out? Shouldn't be all that expensive, and a good thing to have anyway.

angieh
11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Eileen - it's odd, I know those screen doors are very widely used in the States, but not generally over here. We have horrid chain dangly things or ghastly plastic ones!!!

I've often thought what a good idea they are - esp for keeping insects out.

dandysmom
11-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Angie, I've noticed over the years that no one seems to have window screens, which I always thought was extremely strange ... how do you cope with the flying insects? And the odd bird? Even leaves blowing in during an Autumn windy day? It sort of boggles my mind ... no window screens or doors..:shock:

I guess it's a case of cultural context ..,. it would be almost unheard of here to be screenless!!

angieh
11-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I know Eileen - seems to be as you say, a cultural thing. Brits have to put up with insects, birds and leaves whirling into their houses. A very useful thing, I would think both door screens and window ones too.

I have no idea whether they have them in Europe, but I expect not.

dandysmom
11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
A couple of members on OFF live in central Europe and Spain, will ask ... be a good question!

angieh
11-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes, it would be good to know. I know some European cities have lockable shutters on their windows and doors, but that's a different thing altogether.