PDA

View Full Version : Paddy ate my Woodpecker

Phil
04-06-2011, 02:11 AM
After only hearing 'one' in the garden for months on end - I've been spotting more over the last few days. Law of averages (and the noises) told me that I'd got a family which was nice to know but - I was miffed today to find Paddy proudly parading one (chip chipping for it's life) within clamped jaws whilst he made that YOW 'gift bearing' sound only a proud cat can make.

I tried to get it off him as it's amazing how sometimes cats can hold a bird for ages only to see them escape unscathed - unfortunately he got away through the fence and what was left was brown bread.

Anyway - tonight we had a lovely BBQ and who should show up bold as brass....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/5794630549_67afa3cb52_z.jpg

I'm not posting it as a great shot but it was nice to see that this was an adult male (he'd been into my bird cake) - here's hoping the vitcim was a young one and mum is also still about.

Velvet
04-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Beautiful photo. My brother in law is very into his garden birds and he hates the cats that come into his garden. He turns the hose on them!

PoshPuss
04-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Stunning photo Phil :) I'm so glad Posh has no hunting instinct, I'd be really upset if she brought home 'presents' I'm squeamish like that :(

Most of the birdlife here is of the larger carrion variety, crow, magpie, blackbirds and gulls. All can hold their own against the neighbourhood cat clan. ;)

Squirrel
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Thankfully Cloud is a house cat, and I've only ever once had a bird in (before young miss came along, as it got in through an open window, and just no!) I feel very happy for her to hone her hunters instinct with chasing the insects (and even wood louse, how!?!) which make it into the place. She seems to like it too - though the birds always do seem to be the most fascinating thing ever!

So pleased the woodpeckers are coming back. Hopefully young ones will be wary enough not to be caught from now on...

dandysmom
04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Well captured, Phil! I can't get too upset at the occasional bird being caught: nature of the beast. Not that I wouldn't prefer that they stick to mice ......

angieh
04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Great photo Phil. I know it's no good saying "Bad Paddy" and I also know it's the one thing about cats that I would change if I could.

Kim
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Great photo Phil. I know it's no good saying "Bad Paddy" and I also know it's the one thing about cats that I would change if I could.

Yes, I feel the same. I love cats and wild birds and critters, but hate their hunting instinct. Thankfully mine haven't caught anything for a few years. Great photo by the way. :)