PDA

View Full Version : Cats Best litter

Velvet
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Recently i got a bag of Cats Best clumping litter on special offer. I had gone off clumping litter after breaking 2 scoops in succession. Now that Tim & Amber are bigger, they drink more & do bigger "wees" - no matter how deep the litter!

So i had been using PAH own white litter & changing it daily as Amber likes a clean toilet area & who can blame her :)

Anyway this Cats Best claims the litter to be 'flushable' so .... Has anyone used it & is it really flushable down the toilet?

Ive been impressed with this litter. Nice (large) urine balls which scoop easily & little odour. Once the offending pooh & clump balls are lifted out, Amber is quite happy to continue using the litter. Every other day I add a couple of scoops of fresh litter to the tray & mix it through

So although more expensive at the outlet to buy, i think i may just be saving on litter as i was going through 3/4 bags of the PAH litter each week!

So folks can you really flush it? :)

angieh
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Rightly or wrongly Velvet - I do! Have used Cats Best for a good long while for my two - although atm they are both going outside. If you read the bag, there is a section I think that says that the flushability is down to local water treatment guidelines - I have yet to research to find out what my local guidelines are. However, the granules are organic and compostable - I put tray remainders minus excrement and those nice urine lumps - on my compost heap. No worms have objected and my compost heap is alive with earthworms.

I would question the flushability if you weren't on mains drainage, had a sceptic tank etc.

cats' staff
03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I did manage to temporarily block the loo - easy to clear but beware! I now flush the poos and compost the rest.

Hreow
03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
So folks can you really flush it? :)

I have flushed it for five years. Just remember that it does clump so if you pour a large amount down the loo, you might block the pipes. It eventually dissolves again. If I have more than the normal cat-created lumps, I tend to flush at the same time as I add the litter, have never had any problems with that. (I bin the weekly-clean-up litter.)

Kim
03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been using this litter for my cats for a few years now, best on the market I think. Easy to clean, nice big lumps of urine and hardly any smell. Must admit I have never tried flushing it down the toilet.

Elaine
03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I have only used it once and I did like it and I did flush the soiled lumps with no problems. The reason I reverted back to catsan fine granuals was because some one told me that flushing cat littler down the loo had a detremental effect on our seal population. Not sure if that's true or not but thought I'd stop just incase.

Tink
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I've heard that too, Elaine. Toxoplasmosis, I think.

Elaine
03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
http://www.petside.com/article/cat-litter-environmental-problem

Found this, makes interesting reading.

Velvet
04-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks folks - A compost heap is an interesting thought, I have not got one at present however have a large area of garden so could very well make one and the poo could go down the loo. In this hotter weather it is very hard even with M+S scented bag liners to keep the refuge bin fresh which imust admit has worried me slightly

Interesting article Elaine - quite often when I go up the garden to clean up after the dogs I find smaller poo and I am sure it is the neighbouring cats responsible:shock:

I would need to check the plumbing situation as suggested as this house was built in the 1800's - things to look into:D

Squirrel
04-06-2011, 10:00 AM
It is interesting... I did get a bag of the stuff, as I'd tried Cloud out with another kind of clumping litter she seemed to do OK with. She instantly refused to use the trays - I think she doesn't like the texture of the litter in it's clean form - which surprises me as she happily uses wood pellets... Oh well then, back to the drawing board!

Velvet
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
It is interesting... I did get a bag of the stuff, as I'd tried Cloud out with another kind of clumping litter she seemed to do OK with. She instantly refused to use the trays - I think she doesn't like the texture of the litter in it's clean form - which surprises me as she happily uses wood pellets... Oh well then, back to the drawing board!

Odd you mention that, our two do
Use it but prefer the litter with PURA in it, that i think is due to the fact it is fine sand type texture - very soft on wee furry feet :)

Have you tried the clay type - i find it dreadful to work with. & so dusty!

dandysmom
04-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Do any of you use perfumed litter? Carolyn sent a bag of what she'd been using for Leia, and it smells so strongly I can't use it ...!!!!! I have never used anything but unscented non-clumping clay.

Squirrel
04-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I've not tried actual clay, no... The first clumping I tried her on was the 'babypowder' one that Zoo Plus sell... You kan either buy 15KG (2 bags a time) or 7KG. Naturally 15KG is by far better price wise - but that means buying 30KG of the stuff a time - and I just cant lift it. Twice now the delivery person has left with a neighbour and he's had to bring it up to me on a trolley thing in the evening - where I get him to put it in the front door, open the box and carry the 2 bags up stairs one at a time. Just not practical...

Hreow
04-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Do any of you use perfumed litter? Carolyn sent a bag of what she'd been using for Leia, and it smells so strongly I can't use it ...!!!!! I have never used anything but unscented non-clumping clay.

Really canna' abide anything scented, Leia obviously doesn't mind. :) Don't think she'll be at all fussed to go back to her old unscented, non clumping, though.

dandysmom
04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
She IS back on it! :D I had half a bag here when Carolyn picked Leia up; she just took the food, left the litter.

angieh
04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks Elaine for posting that interesting link which encouraged me to see if I could find out whether my local sewerage company publishes any details of their treatment process - but, unfortunately have come up with nothing. In our area we have separate water and sewage companies. I wonder how widely these service companies publish details of what processes they do use? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried to find out. I'm going to send them an email and see what happens!

Velvet
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
PURA is scented - Lavender. I liked it at one time, now just find it over powering esp when they poo! Im just using the bag up. Cats like it as its soft fine sand texture.

Its cheaper Squirrel to buy those big bags but like you i find it very difficult to move them about much less get them in & out of the car :(

dandysmom
04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Both of the local supermatkets used to carry 10 lb. bags; now the smallest available is 20 lbs., which is too heavy for me to lift. I leave it on the porch and scoop about 5 lbs.worth at a time to carry to the kitchen till it's finished. Don't the makers realize there are older people or those not in good health that cannot lift a 20 lb. bag? Nothing to do with my op, couldn't lift that much long before it .... excuse the rant. this is a pet peeve of mine! Bah!

Squirrel
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
It is a real problem... And I like to buy big bags of the stuff, cause it is better price wise. I like PAH delivery system - cause if I buy wood pellets from there, the delivery man wil leave the big bags on the door step for me if am out - and they not too heavy for shifting, but cumbersome enougn that they not too likely to 'walk...'

And I couldn't buy anything scented lavender - not for day to day use anyway. It's not come up yet, as she hasn't visited me since I got the cat, but I've a friend with epilepsy, and lavender is one of the things which sets her off, so I tend to avoid it as a rule...

dandysmom
04-06-2011, 10:08 PM
The larger size is more economical. I agree, but a nuisance when you cannot lift it! I'd rather pay a bit more for a 5 lb. bag ... one cat doesn't use that much litter.