PDA

View Full Version : Adopting an ex stud - advice needed

TalitiaJaxleigh
03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone :smt039

I have been given the chance to adopt a four year old ex stud Devon rex and was wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice before I take the plunge.

He is already neutered although I do not know how long ago. I have been told that he will be fine with female cats, he is very laid back and enjoys cuddles but will have to get used to indoor life. Reading between the lines i'm wondering if this means he may have toileting or spraying issues? If that is the case is it possible to stop this behaviour?

I have been very open about my situation, I have young children and my garden is not yet secure (although i am waiting for a brochure from purrfect cat fencing) and the lady I have spoken to is still happy for me to go and meet him.

any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

Gemma

Hreow
03-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Go meet him and discuss it with his current owner? Some stud-cats need a lot of work to be decent pet cats and some next to no work at all. You need to know what problems you might be dealing with as soon as possible, and she is the only one who might know at the moment.

I hope he is one of the snuggly, non-spraying studs - lucky find if yes. :D

TalitiaJaxleigh
03-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Thankyou for your reply :)

I shall be giving her a ring later on so will ask her about it then :)

Gem

TalitiaJaxleigh
03-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I have found out he is on the drug Tardak and has only sprayed in retaliation to another spraying entire male. The breeder thinks he will blossom once he is in his own home but has advised me to keep him in one room until he settles.

Gem

Hreow
03-06-2011, 04:26 PM
That sounds sensible. He won't have had that much space available to him and introducing him to a whole house/flat full of new is probably a bit much to take in. :) Let him explore one room until it feels safe and then expand his horizons.
I do the same for new kittens and they're much less likely to spray or destroy the soft furnishings (at least to start with...). :mrgreen:

dandysmom
03-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Excellent advice from Hreow. Go for it, hope he settles well and is a cuddle cat! Do let us know!

angieh
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Good luck with adopting this young gent. I know nothing of the temperament of Devon Rex - do they differ much from an "ordinary" boy?

TalitiaJaxleigh
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Thankyou :) I shall hopefully be able to go and visit him soon and ask more questions, I shall def keep you updated :) *fingers crossed all goes well*

Gem

Velvet
03-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Awh good luck. Cant wait to see pics!

TalitiaJaxleigh
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
This is Jack who I am off to meet sunday

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/TaliTia-Jaxleigh/2011_0331jack0026.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/TaliTia-Jaxleigh/2011_0331jack0025.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/TaliTia-Jaxleigh/2011_0331jack0027.jpg

dandysmom
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
A handsome fella! Is there Snowshoe in his background?

TalitiaJaxleigh
06-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I dont know much about his background yet. I have been told that he was used as a stud cat and the lady I am visiting on sunday took him on a year ago but one of her males is giving him a hard time so she thinks he will be happier in a home with no other male cats, she has told me she has his papers though so I'm hoping to find out more when I visit. I wondered myself if there was british shorthair in there as he is quite cobby for a devon and his ears look quite high (but that could be because his head is bigger lol) I know that these are used in the outcross programmes, I am not sure about snowshoes. I'll go and look now :)

Gem

TalitiaJaxleigh
06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Just found this on the Rex cat club website

Registration Policy for Devon Rex (33a)
Breeds which have been approved for use in outcrossing are: Abyssinian, Asian Shorthair, British Shorthair, Burmese, Korat. In addition, American Shorthair and European Shorthair are permitted in the pedigrees of imported cats.

Gem

Hreow
06-06-2011, 04:45 PM
A very nice-looking young man.:D Thinking you might be looking forward to seeing him in the fur. :mrgreen:

pamela81
06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
hes a handsome boy. Hope it works out :)

TalitiaJaxleigh
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Me too. I have just got to wait for the breeder to check me out with my vets and then i shall be off to see him on sunday :)