PDA

View Full Version : AQnother client and another crappy end to the week

Elaine
27-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I have a client, who can be a pain in the neck if truth be told. How ever the cat is a lovely old black and white boy.
When she called to book this time, I refered her to my sister as she lives closer than I do. There was the usual carry one about collecting keys etc, which is why she is a pain. Client told my sister that the cat had lost a little weight but it was nothing to worry about. My sister said the cat didnt look to bad but on arriving this morning and stroking the cat, she said she could feel all it's vertibrae. I told her that I would come with her this evening to see it.
Sure enough, the dear cat was YOWLING like mad and it painfully thin, devouring food like there's no tomorrow.
I'm guessing that many of you are thinking the same as I thought, over active thyroid...
I called the owner and have asked her to arrange for the cat to see the vet asap (her daughter can deal with that side of things). She asked if it could wait till she got home next week. I had to tell her that I wasnt comfortable with that at all and would rather it was seen as soon as. She told me that she knew of the condition in humans and that it made them hyper active and the cat wasnt hyper active so it couldnt be a hyper active thyroid, she also told me that as cats get older they eat alot more:? :roll: .
TBH she was driving me mad, kept talking over the top of me when I was trying to explain my point, politely, that the cat should have seen a vet before it was left in our care and that we cannt be held responsible should anything happen.
Not too sure where we go from here. Am hoping her daughter calls me tomorrow to tell me that the cat is booked into see the vet but if not.....
I dont know what else I can do to help the cat as the owner said that she knows he is old and should he die, well I guess that's that.
I despair sometimes, I really do.

FarplaceRescue
27-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Get him to the vet. Pills can help. I have recently lost a cat to hypothyroidism. It isnt nice.

Tink
27-05-2011, 11:01 PM
*groan*..
Sorry Elaine :( She just didn't want to hear it, did she? Kinda of like she's made up her mind she's done enough and that is that. I see what a dilemna that puts you in. I don't think I could do your work. Hugs for you..

FarplaceRescue
27-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you have a form for owners to sign when they leave cats in your care? Make sure the wording includes a clause that you will take the animal to the vet if it is deamed necessary, and the vet costs and transport costs will be met by the owner.

Moli
27-05-2011, 11:08 PM
That to me is cruelty, if that poor cat needs the vet, she should take him!!!Patxxxx

Elaine
27-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Get him to the vet. Pills can help. I have recently lost a cat to hypothyroidism. It isnt nice.

The daughter is supposed to be calling me tomorrow about vets appointment, as it's not my cat I have to wait to hear from her before I decide my next course of action. I am aware that pills can help stabalise the condition and have explained the situation to the owner.

*groan*..
Sorry Elaine :( She just didn't want to hear it, did she? Kinda of like she's made up her mind she's done enough and that is that. I see what a dilemna that puts you in. I don't think I could do your work. Hugs for you..

Mostly the job is good and we do try to do our best to support and guide owners in the right direction should we feel that there is something wrong with their animals. As in all jobs though, there is always gonna be a down side...

Elaine
27-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Do you have a form for owners to sign when they leave cats in your care? Make sure the wording includes a clause that you will take the animal to the vet if it is deamed necessary, and the vet costs and transport costs will be met by the owner.

Yes we do, but the vet practice they are registered with insists on payment at the time of treatment, which is one of the reasons why I'd rather the daughter dealt with it.

angieh
28-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree the daughter should deal with it ... is she easier to talk to than her mother, can you get her on the cat's (and your) side?

dandysmom
28-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Either she's really in denial or doesn't care that much. How horrible for the poor old boy; Elaine, I couldn't do what you do ...... hope the daughter calls.

Elaine
28-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Have been discussing the situation with the daughter on and off this afternoon. She told me that she had mantioned the cats weight loss to her mother several times and her mother just kept saying things like "he's old" and "he's eating well". I have tried to explain to the daughter about the cats suspected condition and how he might be feeling within himself. I also said, not wanting to be cheeky but her mother is of an older generation, one where old cats simply took themselves off to die but that it would have been an unpleasant death, just that the owner wasnt aware. Vets can do so much these days for animals and manage such conditions quite well.
The daughter called their vet and the earliest appt is tuesday evening, the daughter works and doesnt drive. I have offered to take the cat in on their behalf if she can call and get an earlier appt, like monday morning hopefully.
She said that she went round and the cat was purring away. She is going to stay with the cat tonight. I told her signs to look out for and that by her staying over, she might get a better indication as to how the cat is really.
I also explained to her that I was not trying to be pushy or nasty but it is my job to make sure that animals under my care are well and are seen by a vet if nessecary.
I cannt do any more until they say so.

angieh
28-05-2011, 08:25 PM
You really have done all you possibly can Elaine. It is now out of your hands - try not to worry. Easy said, I know. I commit the care of this poorly cat to Gaia and what will be will be.

Elaine
28-05-2011, 08:39 PM
He is now in the hands of Vets Now, dont trust them, dont rate them as vets but what else is there out of hours?
God help you poor puss xxx

farthing
29-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Elaine, I hope the old boy is ok. Not good if he is had to go in out of hour, but hopefully they will be able to cope with the illness, assuming it us that, it's a fairly basic and common one to treat.

Elaine
29-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Well with out blood tests, xrays or anything else, Vets now diagnosed it to be the cats heart and fluid on the lung. They kept him on oxygen overnight and gave him dieretics. I picked him up this afternoon and took him home, the owners daughter is going to stay with him until her mum gets back on wed night.
I still think it may be an over active thyroid as this would affect his heart and lungs but I'm not a vet and I have absolutely no faith in the vets now practice in Aberdeen.

yola
29-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Elaine, as you might remember, my Balie is painfully thin and has been tested for everything under the sun which has come back normal. I too can feel all his vertabrae, but I can also pick him up without him howling in pain.

All you can do is monitor the situation now and offer advice. It is one of the down sides of what you do - different people have different ideas of what are acceptable levels of pet care :(

Elaine
29-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Elaine, as you might remember, my Balie is painfully thin and has been tested for everything under the sun which has come back normal. I too can feel all his vertabrae, but I can also pick him up without him howling in pain.

I do remember Yola but the point is you had him checked and wouldnt have left him with a petsitter in that condition without having done so. It is my responsibility, in the owners absence, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the pet/s concerned.

All you can do is monitor the situation now and offer advice. It is one of the down sides of what you do - different people have different ideas of what are acceptable levels of pet care :(

I do actually feel sad for the owner, I think it's more the case that she was in denial that there was something wrong rather than not caring. She does love the cat dearly and perhaps just didnt want to admit that all was not well. I've done my bit and had to give the owner my concerns and give her every oportunity to deal with it and she and her daughter have done so.