PDA

View Full Version : Looking after a cat due to give birth.

chaz
12-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok this is not my cat, and I've made it clear that I believe that the cat should be spayed, tbh I'm angry about the whole thing.

Anyway I know someone who has a small tabby female, she's always been a bit nervous, but now is pregnant, which wouldn't be anything to do with me, but the people have said that they are going on holiday when they think that she is due to give birth :roll: and was gonna take her to their mums to give birth, now I've some how allowedmyself to be played into looking after them. Although before I had been they asked me what to do when she was giving birth and I said to watch if she lets you, but if not leave her alone, but if theres any signs of any problems ring the vets, which would probally have to be the emergency vets, which apparently they don't have money for :roll: (believe me though if she needs it when I'm looking after her, they will be called, and as I can't drive if I can't get no-one to take us I will be requesting the vets 'pet ambulance' to take her to the vets, as this one is further away, and the closest one to us closes and sends any over nighters to this one), but does anyone have any other tips or advice for this matter? I don't want to make her nervous, and if I see any signs I will get as far away as I can, but apart from over straining and no kitten being produced what other things do I need to look out for?

Also they don't have anywhere for her to give birth :roll: apparently no old towls or anything either, so I was gonna let them borrow a three foot indoor rabbit cage, line it with paper and then put some old bed sheets on it, would this be safe? And I know that theres no garuntee that she will use it, but if she's fed in it from now until she gives birth will that help her? Also can feliway spray be put on their to give it a more calm and relaxed feel to encourage her to use it? As right now this seems to be the only safe place for her to use, theres also four kids in the house who have become very excited over kittens being born, so she needs to be out of the way, which is another reason for trying to get her to go in here.

But really if anyone has any tips for this please let me know, once the kittens are born and the family is back they wont be my responsibitly anymore, although I'm trying to get the people not to use OTC de-flears and wormers on them, but am struggling, but I want to do the best for the kittens that I can when I'm looking after them, but right now don't really know what to do.

Velvet.Tears
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
You can line the cage with old sheets as you said, that is fine, just make sure it is a few layers so it isn't cold at the bottom. She will need to get used to this herself she should go in it. If not a box is fine covered at the bottom. I used an old printer box when Tiger gave birth, I was lucky with Tiger she never really had any problems and she delivered all 7 of her babies in 2 hours (only 1 died the next day), I did however had to help her with the last kitten, she grew tired and I had to pull the afterbirth out for her to give birth to the next kitten which was a close call as I had to gently tug it out and stimulate his breathing - he survived. Remain as calm as possible make a fuss of her whilst she is pregnant and she may allow you to help her when the kittens come if she needs it.

angieh
12-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi Chaz! You could cover the cage with an old blanket to make it feel like a den for her and keep her out of any draughts. She will need extra food while pregnant and nursing and fresh water too. Make sure she has a litter tray not too far away, but not near her food. Good luck - sounds like this little cat is lucky to have you to care for her.

dandysmom
12-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Good advice above, can't think of anything to add. Poor little cat, why oh why won't people spay/neuter! Good luck taking care of the little girl, do let us know what happens, please!

Shelley123
12-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Poor little Cat, what a pity she can't live with you permanently Chaz.
If people can't afford to look after their pets properly then they shouldn't have them. There is no excuse to treat pets like this ,as there is help available if people need it.
It's great that you are helping this little Cat and her Kittens.
I don't have any experience of this but the hutch sounds like a good idea, unless she chooses her own place :)

babycakes
12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
If people can't afford to look after their pets properly then they shouldn't have them. There is no excuse to treat pets like this ,as there is help available if people need it.
I don't have any experience of this but the hutch sounds like a good idea, unless she chooses her own place :)

I agree. I cannot believe why they even have this cat :twisted:

chaz
14-04-2011, 09:53 AM
You can line the cage with old sheets as you said, that is fine, just make sure it is a few layers so it isn't cold at the bottom. She will need to get used to this herself she should go in it. If not a box is fine covered at the bottom. I used an old printer box when Tiger gave birth, I was lucky with Tiger she never really had any problems and she delivered all 7 of her babies in 2 hours (only 1 died the next day), I did however had to help her with the last kitten, she grew tired and I had to pull the afterbirth out for her to give birth to the next kitten which was a close call as I had to gently tug it out and stimulate his breathing - he survived. Remain as calm as possible make a fuss of her whilst she is pregnant and she may allow you to help her when the kittens come if she needs it.

Thanks, at my flat I've got two double duvet covers that I was thinking of lining it with before taking it round this week to leave it somewhere for her to find or something, I'm hoping that they will be enough, I might also see if I have any spare boxes aswell then, I normally use them for my rabbits, but I'm thinking that if I provide enough maybe she will get the hint as to which room would be best to give birth in, and go somewhere in there, well there is always hope.

Hi Chaz! You could cover the cage with an old blanket to make it feel like a den for her and keep her out of any draughts. She will need extra food while pregnant and nursing and fresh water too. Make sure she has a litter tray not too far away, but not near her food. Good luck - sounds like this little cat is lucky to have you to care for her.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna have to talk to the owners, as I know that this cat is nervous around eating too, I think its a case that they are fed in a double bowl, and their male is a bit of a bully around food, hopefully though they will buy another bowl, or two separte ones, if not I'll see where I can pick one up, as I'm sure this will help with eating, thankfully they have a litter tray, so I'll just use that one, the male goes outside now, so I don't think he'll miss it.

Good advice above, can't think of anything to add. Poor little cat, why oh why won't people spay/neuter! Good luck taking care of the little girl, do let us know what happens, please!

I don't know why they don't, I use to know someone who volunteered with two rescues concerning cats who would help, but they was never intrested in it, tbh I think that they always wanted a litter of kittens :roll: although not enough to put the work in with them.

I agree, like I said I've tried to offer a way for them to get her spayed but they never seemed intrested, I've given them numbers everything, but they lost it, and didn't think of putting the number in their phone, twice :roll:

I agree. I cannot believe why they even have this cat :twisted:

She was a freebee, I think thats why, the same as their other cat, the people whose cat had him couldn't get rid of him, so they had him, which I would of thought showed them what it can be like having kittens, but they seem to just think that people who charge have trouble finding homes for their kittens, but then why is there so many in rescues already if thats the case :roll:.

chaz
19-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I went round to their house yesterday, and have got to say, not impressed, the cat has always been a slighty built one, and its never been a problem, I know animals can be all sorts of shapes and sizes, this ones just small, but she has lost so much condition already, when she was laying on her side you could see her hip bone sticking out through her coat, her spine was also very bad, I asked if they were feeding her anymore, apparently they didn't feed her yesterday, as she was being sick, but then found out it was the male cat, but they give her extra meat, or they give her cows milk for the fat :shock:, apparently she's getting it every other day instead of extra food, the woman has also been trying to feel the babies, but doesn't know what she's doing, and is quite rough while doing it, I have to say, right now I would be extremely surprised if any kittens survived.

dandysmom
19-04-2011, 03:58 PM
That almost had me in tears ....... would it do any good to explain her nutritional needs, and that cows milk is NOT good for her? I suppose they won't listen........ :(

Velvet.Tears
19-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I think you need to take the cat away from her in all honesty. That cat may not even survive the birth of the kittens.

chaz
21-04-2011, 09:47 AM
That almost had me in tears ....... would it do any good to explain her nutritional needs, and that cows milk is NOT good for her? I suppose they won't listen........ :(

I've tried, apparently she will be allright :roll:, right now I honestly don't know what to do, I live in a one bed flat with two dogs, so can't take her even if they would let me, this cat hates dogs, all I can think of though is that in three weeks I get to look after her, I don't know what will happen or anything, but hopefully she will be ok, I have to say I really don't hold out much hope for the kittens at this point, but I do hope that once this is over the cat is spayed and allowed to live a better life.

I think you need to take the cat away from her in all honesty. That cat may not even survive the birth of the kittens.

Unfornatly because of my flat I can't take them, I might see if I can get hold of someone I use to live with though, when I was younger I lived with her and she was involved in rescueing cats, see what she says.

dandysmom
21-04-2011, 03:48 PM
The unthinking cruelty is so horrible .... apparently the "owner" doesn't realize what she's doing to the poor cat .... good luck in contacting the former flatmate, Chaz, maybe something can be worked out.

Velvet.Tears
21-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Even if it was just temporary until she could be found a new home it would be so much better for her. I hope you get hold of your friend and I hope this little one survives her pregnancy. When Tiger was pregnant I allowed her to eat until she wasn't hungry anymore she'd have 2/3 bowls of food at a time and this was Hills science plan stuff so you could imagine how much i spent out on that.

Velvet
22-04-2011, 12:19 AM
What age is this little cat, is she just 6 months or so? Only a kitten herself. She sounds tiny & dainty like Amber. Poor little girl.

chaz
26-04-2011, 10:49 AM
The unthinking cruelty is so horrible .... apparently the "owner" doesn't realize what she's doing to the poor cat .... good luck in contacting the former flatmate, Chaz, maybe something can be worked out.

I've tried and will keep on trying, hopefully this cat will be helped, and if nothing improves I've got to say I wouldn't be surprised if this cat goes missing when I'm looking after her.

Even if it was just temporary until she could be found a new home it would be so much better for her. I hope you get hold of your friend and I hope this little one survives her pregnancy. When Tiger was pregnant I allowed her to eat until she wasn't hungry anymore she'd have 2/3 bowls of food at a time and this was Hills science plan stuff so you could imagine how much i spent out on that.

This poor cat actually pushed the bigger one out of the way of food the other day, which she is normally nervous around it, and ate about 1.5 pouches of whiskers before it was taken off of her

What age is this little cat, is she just 6 months or so? Only a kitten herself. She sounds tiny & dainty like Amber. Poor little girl.

From what I know she's under a year old, but I'm not sure of the exact age, but I have managed to get some photos of her to show people, I'm a bit of a camera geek so they didn't see anything wierd about me taking pics of her in the garden, I'll just do another post in a min when their loaded.

chaz
26-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Heres a few pics of her, I've tried to show her condition in them, but as she has a good coat, its a bit hard, but I've done what I can, I'm sure that the owner right now feels that there is a angel and devil on her shoulder about this cat, as I'm telling her one thing, and her friend, whose cat is also pregant, and apparently been leaking milk for the last two weeks (does that alarm anyone else, when I heard I said to them that she should be giving birth anyday now, two weeks later she's still leaking, and no vets have been called or anything), but her friends telling her that the more that she picks the cat up, feels the babies and stuff the more she will want her owner around at the birth, that she will be ok with what she's on, and also that her back end is how it is just because cats go like that when they've been mated :shock:, anyway heres the pics, I've edited a few to make them more saturated I think it was (if I remember right) to try and make it more clearer.

Heres just her face, just to show you the pretty girl,
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5221/5657224182_8b23c542a4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5657224182/)
SDC11040 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5657224182/) by Charlie Jade (http://www.flickr.com/people/61977635@N08/), on Flickr

This one had the colours changed a bit by saturation, but you can see her belly, but if you look by her back leg you can see the hip bone, with that little lump (not sure what else their called).
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/5657225496_5274a3fa79.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5657225496/)
SDC11066 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5657225496/) by Charlie Jade (http://www.flickr.com/people/61977635@N08/), on Flickr

Saturated again, this is a close up of her back end, to see what I mean about it, but I'm not sure how clear it is, as I've seen her in real life, but when you feel her spine its also very bad too.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5657226784_f8a2f92e74.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5657226784/)
SDC11105 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5657226784/) by Charlie Jade (http://www.flickr.com/people/61977635@N08/), on Flickr

A bit further away, again I'm not sure how clear it would be to someone whose not seen her though.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5301/5656654715_6b7ae22b6a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5656654715/)
SDC11108 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61977635@N08/5656654715/) by Charlie Jade (http://www.flickr.com/people/61977635@N08/), on Flickr

Velvet
26-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Shes young, reminds me of Amber, poor little girl.

Shes very pretty & yes can see the hip bones. When theyre immature these early pregnancies ravage their bodies. Theyre still growing, developing & maturing themselves & now having to share that with developing foetus's.

Would it help Chaz if you took them extra food to give to the wee mum-to-be?

chaz
26-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Shes young, reminds me of Amber, poor little girl.

Shes very pretty & yes can see the hip bones. When theyre immature these early pregnancies ravage their bodies. Theyre still growing, developing & maturing themselves & now having to share that with developing foetus's.

Would it help Chaz if you took them extra food to give to the wee mum-to-be?

Tbh its not they that they don't have enough cat food, or that they can't afford it, they have just brought a 48 pack of meat, and have plenty of biscuits, they can do it, but they don't want to, but I'm really getting on them, that I think that the owner is realising that what she is doing is wrong, but I've got to try and overide the other person who thinks that its all fine. I would give them extra food aswell, but I don't really at this point want them relying on me for everything, but am trying to show them what actually needs to happen for the benefit of their poor cat.