PDA

View Full Version : Raw food for cats

Kim
09-04-2011, 09:31 PM
We feed our dogs a raw food (BARF) diet and buy most of their food from a company called Natural Instinct. Some of you may be interested to know that they have just started producing raw food for cats too. http://www.naturalinstinct.com/products/Cat-Food-%28Chicken-%26-Beef%29.html

Kazz
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Interesting my two ate a variety of things, and although Cleo would do a MrsBucket and refuse some things including raw. Oz used to adore raw beef (when the dogs had it) or raw beef I had minced never fed the dogs any other meat raw but beef. Always cooked lamb, chicken rabbit etc. But if they liked it I ould in future feed any cat a little raw beef on occasion.
No idea if they ate anything they caught....as if I saw it I would try to remove it.

Kazz
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Opps meant to say have order the lambs liver treats from them see what they are like.Ta for the link although I used it in a different way. ;)

Kim
10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Opps meant to say have order the lambs liver treats from them see what they are like.Ta for the link although I used it in a different way. ;)

Glad it was useful, Kazz :D I don't feed my cats raw, but occasionally they will steal the dogs raw food!

Elaine
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanx for the link Kim, am looking into feeding raw too, need to get Raynes tummy sorted out before doing anything there but have been thinking about changing the cats over also.
This is the one I have been looking at.
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/vets.php

babycakes
10-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I feed Denis raw meat now and again and he smacks his lips while eating it :lol:

angieh
10-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the link Kim. Merlin used to relish raw beef mince now and again.

Kim
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanx for the link Kim, am looking into feeding raw too, need to get Raynes tummy sorted out before doing anything there but have been thinking about changing the cats over also.
This is the one I have been looking at.
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/vets.php

Darlings is excellent Elaine, I have fed my dogs their food also. However, I find it quite expensive and can't afford to feed them this all the time. Their food is free range though, all British and all human grade. I don't think Natural Instinct is free range, but it is British and fit for human consumption. Green tripe anyone?!! :-D

Velvet
10-04-2011, 08:17 PM
The dogs love green tripe. Ive been told dogs with renal disease can eat it so off to PAH sometime this week to get some frozen blocks. I will try the kitts with some too

At what age can you give/offer cats/kittens chicken wings?

JBalways2000
28-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have thought about feeding my guys raw a few times as ive heard great things about it, but being veggie i was really put off having to get the meat and prepare it myself etc so this looks like it could definately be an option in the future! AJ is on his prescription diet still at the moment though, think the vet will want to keep him on it a while even though he hasnt had any problems since he first had crystals in august. I did read at one point that a raw diet can help with that too though so might be worth discussing with the vet the next time he has his urine sample tested.

Anyway i worked out the approx cost of feeding the 3 boys raw based on the natural instinct brand and it would cost half of what it costs to feed them bozita/s/o urinary:shock: its disgusting how much the prescription diets have shot up in price lately, they know you dont have any other choice but to buy it, but they still make it so expensive:evil: luckily, my boys are worth every penny:lol: just think it would be better spent on food they would love!

Elaine
26-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Did anyone else buy this for their cats? How did they get on? Did they like it?

Velvet
26-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Our two wont entertain raw food in any shape or form :(

JBalways2000
28-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Did anyone else buy this for their cats? How did they get on? Did they like it?

Ive been wondering the same. AJ is due his urine sample test around about now so if it comes back clear again(which im thinking and hoping it will!) then i was going to discuss changing the wet part of his diet with our vet but still keep him and the other boys on the dry urinary food for now. AJ does like the bozita food the other boys have-hes always trying to steal it bless him, but thought this would be worth a go too. Might get some to try even just as a treat-i give them applaws every now and then as a treat and they go mad for it. they have never had raw though so would be interesting to try! shame you have to order 12 a time though :?

Elaine
28-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Try calling the darlings pet food place, I called them yesterday and they are sending me samples for the dog to try. 3 kgs worth for £15. I'd imagine it would be smaller amounts for cats and may be cheaper.